Isaac
Years ago

Blaze owner hints at roster changes

From GoldCoast.com.au:

The Gold Coast Blaze could have a wholesale clean-out next season, from the coach right down to the youngest players.

The Gold Coast Bulletin understands the Blaze have come to verbal agreements with a core group, but the remainder of the squad's fate is uncertain in the new league.

Blaze co-owner Owen Tomlinson yesterday refused to speculate on who would be in the team next year.

The only players publicly endorsed by Tomlinson have been captain James Harvey and 11th man Greg Vanderjagt.
Aside from Harvey and Vanderjagt, Blaze bosses have been pleased with the form of import Luke Whitehead. But Tomlinson has also refused to endorse the future of the coaching staff.
Who would you keep and who would you replace? Any players you'd target to recruit in the off-season if you were the Blaze?

Topic #18977 | Report this topic

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

When the Blaze last played here, i was surprised by the number of 36er players that approached said coach to pay their respects after the game. It was almost as if they had heard something -- "See ya later dude. All the best...."

I am sure a few owners are thinking next season is the season to do a rebuild, as there is going to be a lot of players on the market as a result of the various clubs folding. Its going to be a 'buyers' market.

I have no idea who is going to a 'free agent' next season. The only player i know of unsigned who would be in demand is Luke Schencher. But there are rumours he may be heading to Europe. Going to be a very interesting free agents list at the end of the season...

Reply #224713 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Oh and of course if the league does void all player contracts then all the players will be free agents ! I cannot imagine that happening though. That could turn into a legal mess.

Reply #224715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

May be that the new league invalidates all existing contracts?

If I were the Blaze, I'd try to keep Harvey, get Vanderjagt into the actual 10 and maybe keep Whitehead unless something better came up. Perhaps try to get Weigh across from Perth, Bradshaw or Rush back from Europe, Tragardh, Petrie, etc.

Reply #224718 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Has Schenscher made any public comment on his plans for next season? He would be a massive loss.

Reply #224719 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Blaze should go after the following

PG - Cortez Groves/Luke Kendall
SG - James Harvey/Carlin Hughes(St Mary's Senior)
SF - Brad Newley/Tom Greer
PF - Luke Whitehead/Ryan Bathie(Nicholls State Senior
C - Aaron Baynes(Washington State Senior)/Daniel Johnson

Reply #224732 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Get rid of Kendall and add Tyson Demos

Love the play of this kid.

Reply #224733 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I would suggest that the league will HAVE to invalidate contracts,

If they are seriously going to police the cap, then some teams might need an opportunity to get themselves under.

Potentially some very big names going to lose quite a few dollars out of this one.

Reply #224738 | Report this post

trillion club  
Years ago

A more realistic and achievable team IMHO:

PG - Import PG / D. Martin
SG - J. Harvey / C. Hughes
SF - Import / T. Greer
PF - C. Tragard / R. Bathie or L.Davidson
C - G. Vanderjagt / C.Baynes

Reply #224743 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Dicko you're right there-
existing contracts under a new format will have to be null and void seeing that club names could even change etc.
That would be like me getting hired by Enron, and saying that I still have a contract to work for them that I would like validated.
If the club doesn't exist under the old format, they will have to have new contracts- I remember someone else mentioning this in passing not long after the review came out.
Some players (that clubs want to and can afford to keep) will have verbal agreements they may or may not honour- eg Homicide signed for 3 years I think only a few months back and will probably honour that if the Crocs can afford to stay in the comp, etc.

Reply #224745 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Trillion, not enough experience at PF and C combined?

What about trying to get Rush back to start at SF and then using an import spot on Whitehead or Rychart at PF. Then double-up reuniting Tragardh and Vanderjagt at C?

Import/D. Martin (had thought of him too)
Harvey/rookie
Rush (can play some back-up SG too)/Greer or Weigh type
Rychart/Petrie
Tragardh/Vanderjagt

Depending on points values and the points cap (likely to rise if there are fewer teams), that could scrape in.

---

HAHA, sounds right to me. I think the players with broken contracts likely to move (off their own back) will be those looking for a big upgrade in cash (e.g., rookies who performed really well like D. Martin) or those unhappy with their minutes (which is why I think Weigh could possible be poached).

Wonder if Saville would consider a move to the Gold Coast? His wife has a very successful business AFAIK and I don't think he'd want to be too far from that. That would mean a Sydney team (if it existed), perhaps the Blaze (at a stretch) or nothing (which would be a real shame since he can still play!).

Reply #224746 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

The interesting one to me will be who they get to coach. That could then dictate the players and the playing style.

so hyperthetically
Bevo come on down... then
Rush ... come one down.... etc etc

Reply #224759 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I'd like to see Bradshaw back here- I have heard that he is keen but still a bit supsect considering how his rookie year here turned out.
I think he would fit in quite nicely with the Gold Coast lifestyle!

Reply #224762 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Joey Wright may be one that they consider.

Reply #224772 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Joey is back in Texas and uninterested in coaching anywhere Van Groningen lurks, so if Brisbane was relaunched by Stephenson he would touch that with a 50ft pole.
Would Joey coach for less than what Joyce gets?

Reply #224779 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From John Rillie:

My own piece of gossip. Look for Joey Wright to be back coaching in the NBL next season.
Gold Coast or Perth? Anyone else who might be interested?

Reply #224813 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Talk is Wright or Bevo, i am still in shock that they are getting rid of joyce. Last year the blaze overachieved, this year they have had injuries which has affected the squad. The owner by the article wants to be in total control, ie selecting players etc .. the blaze are doomed if he continues to butt in.

Reply #224860 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

I suspect if joyce is sacked that Perth will be calling Joyce and that harvey and joyce will go to perth.

Reply #224862 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Wright to Coach the Blaze

Harvey, Vandy, Whitehead, Demos (maybe Pero) to stay

Mcgregor to retire from playing and work at the club in a role with school kids / promotions

Melmeth, Heal - retiring

Dan J, Casey - Good luck elsewhere

Probably look at an import PG unless a superstar local is available and then see who is out there for the other spots as there will be plenty of players looking for a job.

Liam Rush - no chance as apparently isnt the most endearing character to team mates...

And as far as Harvey to go with Joyce...yeah right (although Brendan Might like to think that) He will stay on the coast as long as the money is right and the team is a contender.

Reply #224870 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

the only way blaze will be successful is if the owner spends $$$$$$, wright can only coach a team full of stars, i think this is the wrong move by the blaze owners.

Reply #224882 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Drb, if you're not gcDave on OzHoops, you might get along with them! ;)

Injuries? That's your big excuse for a 0-10 start and bottom of the ladder? When teams like Cairns lost two imports, a starting guard and their coach for a fair block of the season, yet still win a few games. Or when the Spirit started without Smith then lost an import, their best centre and starting small forward?

Reply #224900 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

i totally agree that injuries are not the only reason, but i dont think changing the coach is the way forward.

i will check out gcDave on ozhoops posts. :)

Reply #224906 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

The thing I like about this thread is the apparent acceptance that the Blaze will be part of the newNBL next season. I guess we wouldn't be talking about who we should sign up next year if the thinking was that the Blaze were on the outer.

As for possible signings, almost every position from 4 down is way too messy for me to think about at this early stage. I agree though that Harvs and L-Dubb Whitehead have got to be priorities.

As for centre, with Melmeth retiring (or heading to the NBA), and the Club's committment to Vandy, I think it'd be a great move to get Tim Behrendorff in the back-up role.

A product of the Gold Coast basketball system, I used to see little Timmy back in the early 90's (when he was only 6ft 3!!), working as the towel boy for the Rollers. I'm quite sure he'd like nothing more than to return to the Coast and play for his home Club.

Reply #224913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Drb, I swear he's one of Joyce's relatives so who knows, maybe the two of you are related! Just kidding. ;)

Blazefan, good to hear from you. Interesting move re Tim as he could definitely do with the minutes. He hasn't got any worse but appears to be treading water in NZ and I wouldn't bet on him keeping a spot there (just guessing, haven't heard anything at all).

Reckon Vanderjagt is at the stage where he could start on a strong team? Can he hold his own against an Anstey, Loughton, Schenscher?

Reply #224943 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Blazefan we are talking about Blaze as though they are going to be in next season because Derwin practically promised Tomlinson so... *groan*

Personally I think Vandy could hold his own with enough minutes- I am glad to see Blaze recognise his worth and potential and clearly when he couldn't return to the team based on NBL rules, they saw his potential too.
Plus he's a top bloke to have on any team.

Reply #224960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754