job
Years ago

U20 State and Flooding

Just wondering if Townsville is flooded too is they will cancel the games.
You got to ask why do they have games up there in the wet season big risk.

Topic #18984 | Report this topic

fish  
Years ago

Let hope it goes ahead for players thats put in the hard work.

Reply #224774 | Report this post

Guess  
Years ago

i guess it just a case of bad timing, Townsville hasn't seen floods like this in years.

Reply #224789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there the possibility of nationals being cancelled or will they go ahead no matter what?

Reply #224808 | Report this post

Dido  
Years ago

The lightning play in Townsville on Saturday!!

Is that game going ahead?

Reply #224816 | Report this post

Irritated  
Years ago

It is just another of the many cases of lack of forward planning and vision of BA and the state associations. Nationals held in Tasmania, Ballarat or Canberra in the middle of winter. I have sat and watched snow falling at a Nationals in Canberra ... last year's U20s held in Albury in February. Is there anywhere hotter? Oh yes,I know U20s will be held in northern West Australia next year. How about some forethought given to scheduling these events rather than the "let's give it to the isolated areas to make it a level playing field for all Australian basketballers". Well to make it a "level playing field" you would have to base all basketball in SA and Vic because that is where the majority of bballers are located. So the majority lose to the minority rule. That's not so "level". And ... don't even start me on the administration of basketball coming out of Sydney ... a place that cannot support even an elite team like the Sydney Kings. Why do we let our sport be governed by people who are thousands of miles away from the actual heartland of basketball - junior or senior.

Reply #224865 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

irritated...NSW has a much larger basketball population than SA.

AFAIK twice as many.

Give us your model, and calendar, for playing the national championships.....

Reply #224880 | Report this post

you sook  
Years ago

lol - yeah how could BA not have predicted that once in a lifetime flooding!?

Reply #224891 | Report this post

Irritated  
Years ago

"you sook" - Being a Qlder I know Northern QLD floods regularly. It is only the devastating floods that make the news. And obviously HO is from NSW. If NSW has twice as many players as SA ... why does no-one attend games?

Reply #224899 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Irritated...what sort of logic is that? Because I know that the basketball population of NSW exceeds SA then I am from NSW? Here's a thought....There are more sheep in New Zealand than in Tasmania - maybe I am a New Zealander? (go on...make the obvious joke).

Since when does the number of players have anything to do with how many attend games? I'm damned sure Townsville's venue capacity exceeds that of the townsville basketball population ......how do they ever fill it?

Reply #224903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe flooding is now infiltrating basketball. I have gone off AFL coz of it. Perhaps they can introduce some trial rules at the U20's to stop this blight on our game - perhaps an offside rule or perhaps no more than 2 players inside the arc, and 4 in the same half.

LETS GET RID OF FLOODING FROM OUR GAME

Reply #224923 | Report this post

fish  
Years ago

why don't they move the u/20s later in the year like april when its not so hot for the players instead of the players in 36degs its not good for the players.

Reply #224933 | Report this post

BigTimePlayer  
Years ago

The floods are 50 kms away from Townsville, and if we had the basketball in Victoria there would be the same problem with the bush fires. U/20's is early on in the year as most athletes have uni which is a major commitment and would be hard to leave a week of.

Irritated, very biased saying that basketball nationals should always be in SA and Vic, seeing that BA has equilisation rules in place now to even out payments. If it was in Vic and SA each second year how would that be equal. Also Albury wasn't that hot last year.

Has it occured to anyone that NBL don't sell out crowds because its a shit league and the standard is shit. Buy Austar or you subscriber shit and watch NBA,NCAA and Euro in the comfort of your own home.

People don't pay money to be bored they pay to be entertained.

Reply #225549 | Report this post

ornate wobbegong  
Years ago

Well said BTP.

However, the nationals are not evenly spread out, because the U18 comp is often at the same venue/in the same state as the U16 comp was held two years earlier.

For example U16 (2005) and U18 (2007)were held in Tasmania, and U16 (2006) and U18 (2008) were held in Balarat.
Often U16 players are again involved two years later in U18. Therefore the same people have to travel long distances twice in a row.

Reply #225567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2005 the U/16's were in Canberra

Reply #225575 | Report this post

Just the facts!  
Years ago

2005 U16s were not in Tasmania.
Fail.

Reply #225579 | Report this post

ornate wobbegong  
Years ago

Yo, forgot about Canberra. That doesn't take away from the Ballarat double!

Reply #225589 | Report this post

Just the facts!  
Years ago

"because the U18 comp is often at the same venue/in the same state as the U16 comp was held two years earlier"

Often is once now?

Fail.

Reply #225649 | Report this post

Cat 66  
Years ago

Consider a top age Under 18 Boy in 2009.

If he has been to the last 6 nationals (which some will do) then he would have been to:

2004 - Terrigal
2005 - Gawler
2006 - Ballarat
2007 - Terrigal
2008 - Ballarat
2009 - Gawler

Hmmmmmmm

Reply #225655 | Report this post

Just the facts!  
Years ago

Cat 66,

Not one player has been to all six of those.

Reply #225656 | Report this post

ornate wobbegong  
Years ago

Well, here are your facts:
The same state two years later has happened in 14% of the cases.

Reply #225660 | Report this post

Cat 66  
Years ago

Maybe, maybe not. NT kids maybe? I can think of a number who have been to 5 (assuming they are picked this year). Anyway, that is not the point. This group of boys keeps going back to the same places. That is the point.

Reply #225661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do BA only pick the state? Then the governing body of that state then pick the specific place in their state?

Reply #225670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to get rid of the U20's as it serves no purpose.

Reply #225675 | Report this post

Ranting  
Years ago

Except for selection to Junior World CHampionships.

You Dope!

Reply #225676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all AIS to the worlds , ranting

Reply #225694 | Report this post

Ranting  
Years ago

Not the last Mens team, nor the team that won it.

Ignorance is bliss.

Reply #225696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754