Kobe-for-MVP
Years ago

Game Thread: Sixers vs Breakers

Havnt seen one yet so thort id get it rolling.

Big game for the sixers regarding finals spots but also Bretts last home game in the regular season ever.

Lets hope for a BIG crowd tonight to get them over the line.

Sixers by 5

Topic #19005 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Beat me to it!

Expect emotions will be high tonight. Standing ovation from capacity crowd when Mahersey arrives and when he takes his final seat.

Breakers not even stand a chance tonight.

Reply #225019 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Oh, who will start the "Mars -see" chant

Reply #225020 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

huge night for BB in the state, farewelling a ledgend.

as of yesterday venuetix said it was the best ticket sales ytd.

lets hope for 6500-7000

Reply #225021 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Thomo, 7000 would be awesome.

lets hope everyone gets down there, every member and true sixers fan.

Jack Toft, i like that idea, lets get the chant going

Reply #225022 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Standing ovation everytime Maher has the ball in his hands. Maher is the heart and soul of this club and a TRUE LEGEND!!!

Sad to say I will not get to see this game in person.

Good luck Sixers. Do It For Mahersy!!

Reply #225023 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just like the Lillee chant in the 70s & 80s, if some people remember those decades.....

Reply #225024 | Report this post

ay jay  
Years ago

Brett wont need any red bulls tonight, he will be pumped and hopefully he goes on a shooting rampage!
Breakers might expect that and give him some extra defensive attention so hopefully all team mates to run extra interference for him tonight.

would like to see a few minutes of all SA boys on the court with him together.

Would also like to see Coops get a few extra prime minutes tonight with Balls and Luke playing low. It hasnt happened much all season but when he is out there with them, they both score much more freely, especially if the game is "physical". Coops with Balls is also our most aggressive offensive rebounder.

Lets be LOUD tonight. Go sixers!

Reply #225026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IF WE WIN IT MAY NOT BE HIS LAST HOME GAME

Reply #225028 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - If we lose, it may not be either.

But to get another home game will require us beating either Perth, New Zealand or Townsville away in the first week of finals.

Reply #225029 | Report this post

ay jay  
Years ago

Anon if we wind up playing finals at home there wont be anyone happier than me, thats for sure but just incase we maintain our problems away then I want to help send Brett off tonight. I will be ecstatic If I get a chance to send him off a second or third time and it is possible.

For us to progress successfully into finals we need better value from Grizz, like 20pts type value.
Alternately we need to pick up an extra 20pts from individual performances and the bench.
Hope it happens.

Reply #225030 | Report this post

Every time Brett goes for a 3, the crowd should yell "BANG" in unison. A guy behind me does it and it sounds awesome.

Reply #225031 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

is the game sold-out or will tickets still be available at the door?

Reply #225034 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I believe around 7100 tickets had been sold by 1.30pm this avo, I wouldn't want rely on buying tickets at the door. Wouldn't miss this game for anything.

Reply #225036 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

TC, thats huge numbers!!

where did you find that out from though?

Reply #225037 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

is it just me or can you accually not buy tickets online at venue tix?

Reply #225038 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

^^A small piece in the 'tiser today mentioned that 1000 tickets have been held for the gate tonight.

Reply #225040 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Pull up in transition..the 'Bang guy' maybe me haha I just cat help myself when he lets it go!

Reply #225042 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

At the dome now. All seat have been sold. I have been told that there will be 300 standing room only tickets available at the door.

Get there early!

Leave Now!!!

GO!!!

Reply #225044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skip lieing?

Reply #225045 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Further to that...

Management have just said they will everything they can to make sure everyone that turns up, gets in.

Reply #225047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll believe it when I see it.
When was the last sell out ?
Grand Final game 3 in 02 ??

Reply #225048 | Report this post

Nino. Keep on "Bangin'". I love it.

Reply #225049 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

Pack it to the rafters!!!!

Reply #225050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know how many people the Venue is licensed to hold ?

Reply #225052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #225053 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They will name an area at the dome after brett.
and retire no5 at the first game of next season

Reply #225054 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

7,800? I always thought it was closer to 8,500

Reply #225055 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think they've done a bit of seat re-configuring , over the years.
Boti and Ninnis etc. reckon it will be full @ 8000

Reply #225058 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Yeh what is the real capacity?
Has any of the Dome regulars Skip,Bizzy,Ben Fitz,Isaac etc ever counted the actual seat capacity?
Austadiums claims 7,800 but does that include the upper corporate boxes and standing room?
Game 3 of the Finals Vs West Sydney was one of the only times i have had a standing ticket and it was atleast 4-5 deep around the whole stadium.

Reply #225059 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

There are 7800 seats as far as I know. (Including he seats in Corporate Boxes.)

Reply #225060 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

anyone there filming the game, would love to watch a replay win or lose.

Reply #225061 | Report this post

manbearpig  
Years ago

oh flup! no kurk pinney! the court has been named after brett maher. great stuff.

Reply #225062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7800 seats and 500 standing tickets

Reply #225063 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Awesome crowd at the Brett Maher Court.

Reply #225064 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

WOW! That first few minutes was SOOOOO LOUD!!!

Reply #225065 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Yea! 36ers definitely in the play-offs now. And Brett Maher had a good one for his first and probable last game on the brett Maher Court

Reply #225066 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Farewell Mahersy!

Reply #225067 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sad. To see him play so well , and dunk easy.
And to see a team win 75% of home games , and not get a final on the brett maher court.

Reply #225069 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Camel 31, they are one win on the road away from a series which will include a home final, and with the form this season, that could almost be pencilled in no matter who the opponent! Super night, had it all!

Reply #225070 | Report this post

well guys the first sellout since game 3 of the grand final in 02 and what a magnificent feeling. i was out the front trying to match up spare tickets with people that missed out. the first time i have done that in the nine years i have been a volunteer at the dome.

I hope everyone got in that was out the front. I left a family that had travelled from mclaren vale on the promise of tickets only to be let down with none left at the box office.

what a start and when mahersy hit that three from well beyond the arc i knew he wasnt going to let us lose.

hopefully this is the start of a run all the way to the grand final.

i wouldnt mind a copy of that game.

Reply #225071 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

In the end with all the talk of nothing happening i actually like the naming of the court although i think the decal is a little big for an aesthetic point of view. I think it did start to get to brett, you could see him taking some pretty big breaths during the pre games stuff and i'm really glad he feels the admiration that the SA public have for him. Thought the little snipe by mal at boti was tacky for the occasion.

The game was good, but man oscar was making it hard to feel comfortable at times. Win or loose i was walking out of that stadium with a great experience and hoping for another chance to see him this year.

Reply #225072 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

The atmosphere was awesome, very emotional night everything went well starting with Bretts dunk in pre game and finally Grizzard shot well. Legend Brett still played awesome with all the emotion, it will be hard to replace what he brings to everything. His shot from almost half was and a swish.......

Reply #225073 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

what a night and a sell out!!

Reply #225074 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

The Breakers team deserve recognition for their good sportsmanship and the respect they showed Brett during the pre-game presentations. Also for shaking the hand of the junior sixer post game bet it made his night.

Reply #225075 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Agree Bake. I think they might even have let him get his last home win by starting Henare and Behrendorff over Philll and Ruck Ruckert.

Tonight was the perfect send-off!

Reply #225076 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I could not believe that 3 that Brett hit in the last quarter, how far away was that?

Brett signed autographs for nearly and hour and a half after the game.

Reply #225079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett was absolutely superb after the game. Well done.

Reply #225081 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

true champ

Reply #225082 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

All class.

Reply #225083 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

The night was all about Brett and what a night it was! I will never forget this night, Brett's last game and my daughter's first! She loved it!

Reply #225084 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

AWESOME to hear guys, shame I couldnt be there :-(
Hopefully the club can the game out on dvd real quick, think there would be some decent sales for it if it could be done. even an unedited raw copy would do me!

PLEASE!!!! Someone please!!!

Reply #225085 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

On the way home I was talking to my friends about Foxtel and how little respect they have for the game of Basketball. Shows in the shortage of games they have telecast this season, the very late start to telecasting any games and now the most important of all, not telecasting tonights game. Are they that idiotic to not realise that Brett is one of the greatest Basketballers in Australia, a 3 time Olympian and 3 time Championship captain? Are they that idiotic to not realise that the Dome would be packed and noisy and make good television viewing? How could they be that stupid to not telecast tonight's game. For the fans of Adelaide it would have been a good opportunity to tape it and keep a lasting memory of it. They just didn't have the decency to be there for Brett.

Reply #225087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Foxtel have their programming worked out, it is easy to say they are stupid but their programming is worked out earlier in the year. with Brett being injured at times and not playing early in the season it is not time to make plans on what may have been his last game they have only televised wednesday nights game. It is a pity they didn't televise it but to say they are stupid for not organising it is harsh. They or the NBL were late off the mark probably due to so many teams pulling out preseason and the draw being revamped a few times and only wednesday night games were all we got.

Reply #225088 | Report this post

ay jay  
Years ago

What a night. How good was Bretts last three,fired up from somewhere out near Crittendon Rd.

Nice to see Grizz hit a few.

So if we have a win next sat and Perth lose to the Tigers we will probably be playing the Crocs in the final.
If we lose saturday we probably will play the Breakers again, assuming they roll the Taipans.

Have I got that straight? Someone might have to correct me.

Who would we be better off playing?

Reply #225089 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Great game, I don't think I will ever forget that massive three Maher hit it was amazing. With any luck we'll get to see a repeat performance in the playoffs.

Regarding recording of the game, it might be worth getting in contact with the club and seeing if a DVD of the game is available, perhaps part of the proceedings could go to Brett Wheeler and the Hudson Maher Foundation.

Reply #225090 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

You can get dvd's from the club, i have done it before!! BUT... both teams have to agree it be released! But yes would be a good money maker for the the 2 Foundations!!

Reply #225094 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I can see why you like Abercrombie, Isaac. -Almost made up for Penney's absence.

Great to see Grizz back stroking it from outside. He was the catalyst of that early run.

Balls and Schensch both fantastic inside. Luke was far more aggressive than he was on Wednesday. Good to hear the MVP chants for Big Balls.

Maher: Just average. Lol jks. What a champion! That 96-footer was unbelievable and at a crucial time. Good coaching by Ninnis to bring him off with two to go so the Crowd could give him one last cheer. And what about the full-court pass to Schenscher on the break. Pass of the year!

I'm lovin' 'The Brett Maher Court' but wouldn't that sticker be a bit slippery? I was worried when they brought what appeared to be a soccer goal out - was not in the mood to sit through any of that crap.

Thought Ninnis' coaching was great all night. Good timeouts, and the move to play both Bruce and Davidson when New Zealand were playing a full-court press worked nicely.

Bruce was great - obviously needs some consistency though. Davidson was a bit off.

Holmes: Fantastic! Easily our best defensive player and hit all his little mid-rangers.

Hill: Limited mins due to some dodgy performances lately but did well with 7pts and only 1 turnover, from memory. Always love how he attacks the rim.

Winitana: Absolutely shocking! Got rewarded for his good last quarter on Wednesday but couldn't continue the form. IMO he's had his chance, we can't have players still struggling to find their game in the playoffs. -10 mins each game from now on.

Oscar: What a gun! Seriously. Get a hand up 6ers!

Henare: Daniel Joyce +10yrs.

Ronaldson: Retire.

Refs: One of their better ones I thought. There were still some questionable calls.

Guys standing in the N/E corner: Brilliant work guys! I'm sure Mahersy would've appreciated your work. Those "BUUUUULLSHIIIIIT" chants were gold! Made up for not having the "You suck" song anymore. And I'm sure the refs would've easily been able to hear it too, It was great.

Interviews: Apollo room please - couldn't here jack.

Overall an unbelievable night. Let's hope it actually wasn't his last home game and we get do do it all again in the playoffs!

Reply #225097 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Interviews: Apollo room please - couldn't here jack."

I'll try talking louder then :)

Reply #225100 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

i saw brad hill give is shoes away at the end of the game... only if other players did this

Reply #225110 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

But have you smelt 'is shoes??

Reply #225111 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

alot of players used to give away shoes, i got farleys and he signed them a couple years back.

Reply #225117 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Mass props to Skip for the Rick Roll.

Unfortunately, I was notified via text that my Rick Rolling dream had come to fruition, as I was at a mate's wedding.

Needless to say, I bailed on the wedding and ran into the stadium with 7.30 mins left before the half.

Life is about priorities.

Reply #225223 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Loco - Im glad someone in the audience realised what was going on. :-)

Reply #225229 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Ahh... wanna fill me in?

Reply #225259 | Report this post

Choppies  
Years ago

I noticed in the photos of the player introductions, the guard of honour didn't seem to include Mark Davis. Since I was unable to get to the game for work reasons, just wondering if someone who was at the game can enlighten me as to whether Davis was there or not, or if an explanation was given as to why he wasn't. I would have thought that a Club Champion like Pudd would be right there to congratulate Brett. Just wondering.

Reply #225298 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Davis was announced as an apology for the evening.

Reply #225316 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

He did however leave a video message for Brett. We are hoping to get the 8 minute tribute video that played before the game up on youtube soon.

Reply #225319 | Report this post

Choppies  
Years ago

Ahh okay, thanks for answering my query. From all accounts I missed a great game :( Don't think we're likely to see such club longevity or loyalty again.

Reply #225398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754