coronaftw
Years ago

Dom Cassisi named Port Adelaide's new captain

Cassisi appointed Power captain

Domenic Cassisi has been appointed captain of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Rugged midfielder Cassisi, 26, has played 128 games for the Power since being drafted at the end of the 2000 season. He is the 61st captain of the Port Adelaide Football Club, and just the 12th since 1950.

Shaun Burgoyne and Kane Cornes have been appointed vice-captains of the club.

Cassisi, Burgoyne and Cornes were all picked in the same draft (2000), with Burgoyne taken at pick 12, Cornes at pick 20 and Cassisi at pick 50. All three played in the Power's 2004 premiership side.

Port Adelaide President Brett Duncanson says the club was blessed to have a field of quality candidates for the captaincy role, with Cassisi winning through.

Topic #19021 | Report this topic

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

So so happy with this decision

Power 09 will return to finals

Reply #225257 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Port Adelaide President Brett Duncanson says the club was blessed to have a field of quality candidates for the captaincy role."

HAHAHA I think they made the right call with Cassisi but let's not pretend they weren't getting desperate over there. I mean they were considering Shurgoyne and Lade FFS! Daniel Motlop is in their leadership group!!! Obviously they're struggling to find leaders but as I said - Cassisi is a good choice, him and Kane were the only options and it's good to see my Kane's VC as well.

Reply #225262 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

XztatiK real harsh!!

Shaun burgoyne and lade bring ALOT to the table, and shaun must have been mighty close to grabbing captaincy.

Want a struggling leadership group look at the crows.

Reply #225265 | Report this post

The Admiral  
Years ago

Capt.should have been Chad Cornes.

Reply #225270 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

I agree if u want to look at a struggling leadership group it would be the Crows.

Hell, Simon Goodwin didn't want to be captain but every1 else were too **** to be captain so he had to do it lol.

Reply #225274 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Kobe don't start.

Lade, while he would be a good captain, only has a year left in the game and can't keep his spot in the side.

I'm not sure what Shurgoyne is like around the club but from what I've seen of him in the media he is far too timid for that sort of role. See him on Before the Game?:

At press conference: "So, yeah it will be extremely difficult but uhh at the same time *long pause* ...it won't. *confused look*"

Meanwhile the Crows have an inspirational and experienced captain in Simon Goodwin while McLeod (capt of indigenous allstars, all-aus team and Australia's International Rules team), Edwards and Burton are all fantastic leaders. Other than those veterans, they have Rutten, Reilly, Thompson and van Berlo all lining up to be the next captain while Tex Walker is also a natural leader and future skipper.

Admiral, Chad didn't want it. He eventually put his hand up, reluctantly, but he didn't want that title. I think he will still be the 'emotional captain' ala Aaron Hamill for the Saints a few years ago.

Now all we are waiting for is Dom Cassisi to do a knee in his cursed no.1 guernsey, lol. (hope he doesn't, I don't mind the guy but face it the jumper is evil).

Reply #225276 | Report this post

pill  
Years ago

i believe goodwin took on the captaincy because the crows felt is wasnt the right time to hand over the captaincy to either van berlo, rutten or thompson.

now that these players have matured more one of them shall recieve the captaincy once goody retires

Reply #225277 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Humpa, ANDREW BOGUT!!!

insert rant here:

Reply #225278 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

well it's no surprise that the Bucks are winning since he's been injured.

Reply #225279 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hahahahaha can't believe that worked!

Reply #225281 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

cant believe he just said that because they havnt been. hahahahahahhaha

Reply #225284 | Report this post

coronaftw  
Years ago

IMO a Dom Cassisi, Chad Cornes, Kane Cornes, or Shaun Burgoyne would easily be Crows captain if they played for them.

can't say the same about any Crow players though...

Reply #225285 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Is Dom the 61st captain for the Port Adelaide Football Club or is he just the 4th captain for Port Power...

It's my opinion that opinions are like aresoles every bugger has one

Reply #225288 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I don't care who they have appointed but i think its clear that chad is the real captain of that side. He is the one who make the big plays and gets into the crowd etc, i respect the more lead by example type as well but chad is the beat of that side.

Reply #225294 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Agreed Josh.

"IMO a Dom Cassisi, Chad Cornes, Kane Cornes, or Shaun Burgoyne would easily be Crows captain if they played for them."

You're kidding aren't you? Easily the most idiotic thing I've heard all day. The only one of them who would have the slightest chance is Kane Cornes and that is only once Goodwin/Edwards/McLeod/Burton retire.

Reply #225297 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

XztatiK, You wouldn't happen to be a Crows supporter would you.
The fact is Dom Cassisi will be a great caption just as any of the other players considered would have been other than possibly Dean Brogan who is way to unpredictable to caption anything.

Yes Goody would probably caption Port if he was there but Burton/Macca and Edwards not a chance.

Reply #225300 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

No, but this would be a good caption: 'Power name new captain - supporters confused over spelling'.

Reply #225302 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Nutter...... how can you not rate McLeod with all his achievements not to be a better canditate for captain than Dom?

McLeod has been an All Australian Captain (picked as captain ahead of other champion club captains); captained the All Stars against Victoria last year & has captained Australia.

To mention Goody would be the only crows player that could captain Port is a joke

Reply #225315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Xztatic thinks he's so funny/smart... *rolls eyes*

Reply #225320 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Good choice Port, Dom always puts on his hard hat and does a full days work. The boys will follow, and Chad will still be the emotional barometer for the team.

Kriss, he is the 61st captain for the PAFC AND the 4th since they joined the AFL.

Reply #225328 | Report this post

Ripcity is back!  
Years ago

Ok im confused here.. so Cassisi is the 61st captain of the PAFC?? ok thats nice. so what about the poor dude who captains the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL??? is he captain 60.A or 60.1?? (Tredrea being 60)

or perhaps when the Power entered the AFL the old captain of the new/old PAFC became the first captain of the new/old magpies.. then the captain of the old/new power takes over the mantle of the Old/new PAFC and hence the captains head of in a Y shaped formation with each captain duly recognised when it suits the mighty PAFC..

confusing stuff..

Reply #225479 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

pathetic crows supporters and there egos, period!

Reply #225547 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Come on Kobe you're just jealous of my little ball :P

Reply #225558 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:34 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754