The Brad
Years ago

Tension amongst Sixers players?

I happen to be sitting in the third row of the sixers game the other night and noticed what I took as a little bit of tension between a couple of team mates.
Jacob Holmes had dribbled towards the sideline near the NZ bench, and Grizzards man went to double team. Rod obviously didn't say anything to Jacob and didn't hang around to help. Luckily the officials called a foul, but the look on Jacob's face towards Rod and a few words did not look like a team mate happy. Obviously no one wants to be double teamed from the blind side without notice, but to me Jacob's stare back at Rod went on for a good 20 seconds, looking back at him about 4 or 5 times shaking his head.
To me it was the look you give another driver when he cuts you off as you catch up to them. The shake of the head and a look like, "you f*#king dipshit!"
Now i've noticed myself sometimes that Rod may be there in body but not always in mind..literally he's off on Rod's World thinking about other things. Is it the case that Jacob doesn't exactly like what Rod brings to the group and he is more of a liability than anything?
Or is the fact that Rod has come in and taken Jacob's starting role and doesn't like him for that reason???

Topic #19022 | Report this topic

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Please go away.

Reply #225271 | Report this post

Hood85  
Years ago

Goodbye jerk, people liek you dont need to have internet access.

Reply #225273 | Report this post

haha  
Years ago

yea mate shut up

Reply #225275 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Jacob had a fair old dig at Brad Hill for not passing it to him against the Dragons on the break, even though Hill did pass it to him albeit a little late and Jacob had given up on if the pass was coming or not. Didn't come across to good but I put it down to more of Jacob being around longer helping Hill.

Perhaps the situation you mention could be turned around why didnt Holmes pass it out to Grizzard when the double team came?

Anyways dont think there is alot of merit in discussing this, more off Maher and more on our finals run please!

Reply #225282 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why do you guys feel The Brad should go away? Is it because the beloved Holmes is not allowed to be criticised?

If this incident happened The Brad has every right to mention it. Whether it was just out of frustration or because of other reasons, it is fair enough to be mentioned.

I didn't see the incident so I cant really comment on it.

Holmes has been playing much better coming off the bench. The reason why is because when he is in the starting 5 he struggles with offence as he is the last option however when he comes off the bench he has more opportunity to score and play his natural game.

Reply #225286 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Team mates get heated at each other during the year (hello Setanta)
It's part of the competitive edge of an athelte to get frustrated sometimes when things don't go the way they planned

How many 20 sec looks did MJ give out to his team mates

Reply #225287 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah he is just blowing of some steam, all the players do it in frustration from time to time. You only have to worry about it when its an ongoing thing.

Reply #225292 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Did you see a few weeks ago - - the look Haines gave Filmer when it had been rumoured he was using his Grecian 2000!!!!!!

Reply #225305 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Brad, was that the foul when Forman was scrambling for the loose ball but picked up the foul in the process? Oscar and Jake have a strong rivalry so it might've been that Holmes was just particularly annoyed at being left in that position.

Other than that, might've just been a bit of "that guy's taking my minutes" coming out in the heat of the moment as Jake is very competitive. Spoke to another player after the game (re Grizzard's heat exhaustion) and they said that Rod's been great within the team, at trainings, etc.

It's not unknown for Maher to glare a bit at a team mate. So be it.

Reply #225317 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Personally I was too busy enjoying the game of basketball to mistake it for an episode of Neighbours.

Reply #225321 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

just another person trying to read things into what is a normal thing, heat passion wanting to win

Reply #225324 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

If Jake upset Grizz, I'm sure a little changing room man hug would have fixed it later.

These things happen ALL the time in a competitive environment.

IF it happened.

Reply #225331 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac,

I hope that it's just rivalry between Jacob and Oscar?

Would it prevent Oscar coming home to play under Jacob as his Vice Captain?

Surely Oscar would be getting sick of the Fish 'n' chups from the North Auckland chippy by now?

Reply #225332 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Happens on a lot of teams bloody hell, look at the Aussie Cricket team. I am sure they will get over it.

Reply #225335 | Report this post

Unley  
Years ago

Grizzard may be doing alright at training but has been shit in most games compared to what he has served up for other clubs in the past. He is not playing to the standard of a class import at the moment. This is the difference between 36ers being top 3 and limping into playoffs. Grizzard's performance in the playoffs will determine his futre with the club not his personality. I hope he does lift as he has shown in the past he can, but he needs to start NOW........

On the other matter, a bit of banter between players is healthly, it shows they care.......

Reply #225336 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Geez, I actually thought this was a forum, my bad!
People, I have played basketball for 25 years and at a reasonably high level. I have seen and given plenty of looks myself, but nothing like this. If Jacob is as competitive as eveyone has said, then I would not be surprised if he is pissed at Rod coming in and taking his starting spot, even though he hasn't been performing. People...I have watched that new show "Lie to me"...I know what i'm talking about!!!

Reply #225338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a season ticket holder of many years and with Jacobs return this year he appears to have come back a lot angrier than when he left us. I have noticed on several occassions that he has stared down team mates and not been happy with them, it would equate to atleast one a game! He needs to take his aggression out on his opponents and not his team mates. I have noticed a lot this season that Jacobs defence is very good but his awareness on offence is disgraceful. I have seen many a time where the ball has been passed to him and he has his back to the play, hes not ready for the pass,he is unaware that there is a defener lurking or he gets into an offensive action gets challenged and hasnt the awareness to pass out of it resulting in him throwing up a brick. In the situation raised above, he should have passed to Grizz, Grizz could also have been shaking his head at Holmes for not passing out of a double team. Holmes needs to take some responsibility for his own actions!

I will be a very disappointed supporter if Holmes takes over the captaincy. His track record as a leader isnt that great and his attitude on the court is more negative than positive.

Reply #225343 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

The Brad,
I look forward to seeing plenty more of those looks on the sidelines at Marion this year!

Reply #225349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob never get's along with his team mates @ the Dragons Nick Hovarth tried to strangle him at training and no one liked him. (Mod: Rest deleted. Likely to be considered defamatory.).

Reply #225354 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Anon- surely that is crap!

Reply #225360 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah that is crap by Anon.... can that post be deleted?

Reply #225374 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moderated anon, when I heard something along those lines, it was Farley suggesting that reasoning, nothing by Jacob at all. What's telling there is who has played again for Adelaide and who won't be signed again.

I'm sure Jake might glare at someone or have felt some subconscious resentment of imports taking his starting spot, or maybe preferred other options on offence when Willie wasn't that great in his last season, but there is no way he would explicitly say something that ridiculous.

343, who else would you give the captaincy? Davidson may retire soon, Ballinger isn't that sort of leader and there's no guarantee they can keep Schenscher if he gets strong offers from overseas.

Jack, he is enjoying it in NZ (has bought a house over there) and I don't think he has plans to return soon. I'm sure they would play together again if the situation arose. Sturt have Jacob for the coming season and would have Oscar in there if he wasn't taking this off-season off. They'd probably just fight for rebounds a bit!

Reply #225378 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac, :(
Would be great to see the Grouch in a Sixers top

Reply #225380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

I dont know Jake that well off the court so cant really comment on his leadership capabilities off the court but he is definitely not a lead by example player on the court. He leads by example on defense sure enough but on offense he is all over the place. When your down by a point with 10 seconds to go and you have the ball in offense who are you going to look towards to make the big play, definitely not Jake?! Mahersy continuously came up with that big play whether it be on defense or offense and we need that type of player to fill the captaincy.

Schenscher would be the front runner if we could hold onto him but if not and I know I will probably cop a heap for this but I honestly think although inexperienced Bruce would be the better option - long term.

People may laugh at me now, but I bet in 2-3 years people will be hearing me a lot clearer!!

Reply #225433 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Yep I like Bruce, he's good at organising the court setting up plays and seems to be generally making good decisions. Its a pity he won't have Brett mentoring him for a bit longer, but is developing well. Don't see Jake as captain quality.
P.S. Maybe Grizz's concentration was a bit off considering he finished up in hospital with heat exhaustion.
He looked pretty good knocking down those threes.
Hopefully starting to get it all together in time for the playoff.

Reply #225463 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Unless you wanted to go real short term with Davo. Jacob is the only logical choice. He wont always put up that winning shot like Brett but least he plays with passion and has some idea on defence and systems.
Ballinger as good as he is will never be a leader .
Schens apart from how long stick around . He just doesnt show enough fight out there getting pushed away from the play and getting upset at refs.when doesnt get calls . If schens was to play smarter and tougher then defenitely would be getting huge offers o seas.
Bruce is a long way to being a leader looks much better as back up point guard much more dangerous and less brain fades
We need to get more real passion and determination out there . If you fall short of that then you get yelled at or benched.
How good was Oscar last Sat . He is a greater loss than Inglis to club. There is a future capt.
Him and Newley are the 2 major stuff ups by the bald one

Reply #225465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bretts the Man, you're joking aren't you? Oscar as captain?!?!?! The guy can shoot the lights out and has a lot of talent but is by no means a leader - no offence Isaac, I'd still love to see him in a Sixers jersey and think he can offer a lot to the team!

Why is Jake the logical choice? I haven't seen anything of Jake to suggest he is Captain material?! How much did the Dragons think of him as a captain as they allowed him to leave.....surely that raises a concern??

Bruce as our long term PG is the leader on the floor. Bruce is most like Maher and I think would relish in the role as captain, I even think it would settle him down a little bit and mature faster as a player. Bruce plays with heart and doesnt mind the physical stuff, add to that he is more than capable of making the big defensive or offensive play and I think it is quite clear he should be our next captain!!

I understant Jake will have a dummy spit if that happens though and I'm sure the captaincy was promised to him on his return, I just dont think he is the best choice! Don't go giving me the he is passionate spill either......if he was so passionate, why did he leave the 6ers in the first place??

I dont hate Jake, just dont think he should be the next captain! This is a decision the Sixers need to get right!

Reply #225475 | Report this post

lilleyton  
Years ago

i also agree that bruce is captain material.

Captain at baylor for 4 years and captain of junior national teams. seems to get on great with team mates, speaks very well in interviews and after match. He is a exciting player to watch and one of the most popular players in the team as alot of kids has his jersey around games.

Jacob i think would take it as a slap in the face i think as he has lost his starting spot and now the captaincy that he prob thought he was getting that after the season.

i still think jacob will b captain but i think bruce is a better option

Reply #225481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who wants a captain coming off the bench when you can have a potential Olympian PG as your captain??

Reply #225501 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754