Isaac
Years ago

Hawks to retire uniforms of Campbell and Saville

The Wollongong Hawks will retire two uniforms in their final game for 2008/09 (and what might be their final game, full stop). The players honoured will obviously be Mat Campbell and Glen Saville.

Campbell may look to retire should there no longer be a team in Wollongong, as is expected, but Saville could play on, possibly depending on the proximity of any opportunities.

Not sure what their capacity is these days, but they're hopeful of a sell-out crowd to celebrate the finale and have also invited back every player to have worn a Hawks' uniform.

Their last home game saw them reach a season-best crowd of 3,000 fans. The round also saw good crowd results in Adelaide (8,300 or so) and Melbourne (just under 8,100).

Topic #19025 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

This is a nice gesture to recognise two players that have by and large been the heart and soul of the Hawk's team for many years. I hope they get a good turnout.

However I'd just like to pose the question: How do you retire a uniform when the entire team is folding? It is not like anyone else was ever going to get the chance to wear it in future?

Reply #225318 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Awkward moment for Chuck coming up i reckon

Reply #225323 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"Awkward moment for Chuck coming up i reckon"

lol..gold...pun intended?

Reply #225325 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

DB i have been looking to slot that one in somewhere for some time now.

Reply #225329 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

come on fitz, you should have said:
DB I have been waiting for that to come up for some time now

Reply #225330 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Fitz, did you have to bring up Chuck?

Reply #225337 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I thought Woolongong were retiring all of their uniforms.

Reply #225340 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

So they're inviting all the past players to have worn a Hawks' uniform. That's a nice touch. If they all turn up, that should fill all the seats in the house.

Seriously, it would be a nice piece of nostalgia if a few of those ex players can make it to the game. There have been a lot of players from the Hawks I've enjoyed watching over the years. It would be fun trying to spot them in the crowd.

Reply #225341 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Retiring the singlets also implies (to the community) that there is an intent, perhaps hope, to keep the Hawks history alive.

I'm not suggesting they are going to do a back flip and enter a team next year, but I take hope that they might be back in the near future.

Reply #225355 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

They are retiring the whole team anyway; whats the point?

Reply #225368 | Report this post

hood 75  
Years ago

Any chance we might see the Hawks in SEABL next season?

Reply #225391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think someone must be considering it.

A while back, I suggested a two-tier league with the lesser league fielding teams like Wollongong, West Sydney, Hobart, etc. A Hawks fan suggested that the crowd would not want to support 'second best'. Isn't that what a SEABL/ABA-type entry would be?

Reply #225407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754