anon
Years ago

Labor Govt ruins Sixers Revenue

Hi All

Ha anyone caught on that if the sixers are to survive they need to be able to raise revenue from outside sources. One obvious source is through concerts for bands that can't fill the entertainment centre. Good old labour are closing that door by spending 50 million dollars of our money on a new smaller entertainment centre when the dome would have cost nothing and the 50 million could be put into industry and health.
Rann needs a wake up call

And Adelaide needs the sixers

Topic #19036 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Welcome to 3 years ago

Reply #225423 | Report this post

stuart  
Years ago

Yes, but what this is saying is we should get it out in the press and force the govt to think intelligently for the state.
It is not too late to stop the building.
Sixers supporters should write to Boti and their local member.
What if the sixers have to play at the entertainment centre, all our ticket prices would rise

Reply #225424 | Report this post

curtley_ambrose  
Years ago

ent' cent' makes more sense, as it's closer to city right? Therefore would attract more fans. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Reply #225427 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You are very wrong. It would be a shit stadium to play at with the seats being way back so the atmosphere would be terrible!

Reply #225428 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd refuse to watch our 36ers @ The Entertainment Centre. The seats are too high and far away from the court. No atmosphere. Screw the close to the city crap.

I'd rather @ The Dome where it belongs, history. We can place a huge Brett Maher statue outside. Fans will remain close to the action. All seats are good and provide pleasant viewing to the court.

Reply #225430 | Report this post

ay jay  
Years ago

Dome has lousy accoustics anyway.
What we need is to win more games and generate more interest and get more bums on seats.

Reply #225432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get a life you guys1!!!! people in Victoria have lost loved ones and lives and all you can do is bitch about revenue for the sixers. I think we need to prioritse what is really important here and what needs to be funded.

Reply #225435 | Report this post

Flinders  
Years ago

Shut down all sport and entertainment until the fires have been put out!

Reply #225438 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

well anonymous, correct me if im wrong but this is a basketball forum?

Reply #225439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct me if Im wrong also but isnt everyone entitled to have an opinion? I agree this is a basketball forum but when you see what the sixers players make as compared to what these people have lost you need to realise what is important in life!!!! Maybe they should think about the money that these guys get. It isnt small amount!!! May be .

Reply #225442 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

Yeh nah, sports are the heart and sole of this country you dont shut it down just because of a fire!!! yes people have died but what do you want us to do from adelaide?????????????????????? Does it mean i can stop working cause the fires are still raging

Reply #225444 | Report this post

Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Dome owned by Venuetix not the 36ers? So whatever is on at the dome the money goes to them not the 36ers.
So if thats the case how can the Govt ruin sixers revenue? Wouldn't it be Venuetix revenue?

Reply #225445 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its an important issue when it affects a sport that you love. Every Australian heart aches for all of the Victorians affected by the bushfires but it doesn't mean your every day life comes to a stop. Care is being shown by the donations people are making and the sympathy they express.

Reply #225446 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - Even if concerts were allowed at the Dome, building a 2000 capacity venue at the Ent Cent aint gonna affect us getting concerts there.
The Dome could easily hold 6000 for a concert. Only 2000 people to watch a concert on the Dome would be a pretty crap gig for the act.
It is going to impact places like Thebby more so.

Reply #225449 | Report this post

Mrs SW  
Years ago

666, the Dome is not owned by Venuetix.....they were an interested party to buying the venue.

Teams need to think outside the square when raising revenue to support their teams. Money from sponsors and ticket sales is not always enough to help run a club. Basketball is not alone here. The Govenment gave our SA AFL teams a cash injection recently as one of them, despite being in finals in recent years was struggling financially. Look at soccer. Record crowds, record losses.

The standard has been set with what we pay our athletes in all sports all over the world, not just in Australia. I don't think it is just as easy to say 'pay them less' but I don't know what the answer is short term.

Reply #225450 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I´m (fairly) sure the Sixers don´t own the Dome. Either Eddy Groves still does, or I´ve missed that news story. Either way, the Sixers don´t benefit from any outside events at the Dome. This thread sounds like a mis-informed rant, nothing more. Title should be "Labor Govt ruins Eddy Groves´Revenue".

Reply #225453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers and dome don't have to be tied together. leave the dome to the dome owner and concert worries to them too.

Reply #225454 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I thought there is an encumbrance on the Powerhouse (oops - Dome) that means there can't be concerts. I also thought it was related to the building being in a semi residential area and was part of the conditions for allowing the building to be put where it is. Can anyone verify or refute this?

If there is such an encumbrance, then it may be the local council that has the authority to remove it, not the State? Anyone able to help me out on that question? If it is the council, good luck getting that up against opposition from nearby residents.

Reply #225455 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

#225435/225442 - How about you open your eyes and grow up a little?

Of *course* everyone that posts here cares deeply about the bushfire tragedy. It's one of the most utterly horrific and heinous events to have occurred in our short history as a nation. Did you think you were the only one who "truly" cared or something? I hope you realise how pious and self-righteous you sound.

In terms of lives being lost in tragic circumstances around the world, it happens every day if you have eyes to see it. What are you personally doing about genocide in the Darfur region, for example? Did you know that more than a hundred people are dying there every day? Have you been diverting all the money you were going to spend on basketball-related activities to them? I didn't think so.

Reply #225458 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

I thought originally the SA govt. had a caveat on the Dome when they initially put up the money, that stopped it being operated as an entertainment venue because of competition with "The Entertainment Centre" I also understood that the council had concerns with bands playing at the Dome and residents complaints about the noise that would be generated.
I wouldn't have thought this condition still applied, so perhaps it all comes down to the council with noise and traffic control.

Reply #225459 | Report this post

wilde  
Years ago

Its not a rant, 6000 people can go to the existing centre. This state is not big enough to handele 2 centres including the new one. Eddie will sell the dome and the new buyers would want to take an interest in the dome to capture income for the team. The caveat was put on by the govt who promised $250,000 per year, not paid the last 4. The zoning is sports recreational and the rest is light commercial.
We are not concerned about eddy, we want the govt to stop wasting money on something that could be spent on creating permanent jobs and by lifting the state caveat the money can go into basketball. Given that it could be a condition of sale, most bidders will tell you the team is worth nothing unless you can get a percentage of the dome as well

Reply #225460 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Actually, while we're on the subject of Government handouts to sport. It annoys me immensely that the government can provide a stadium for soccer, spend what was the latest handout, $10 million for AAMI stadium. Spend millions building a bus exchange at the stadium purely for football, currently widening sections of Brebner drive, and closing off other sections, all for football, and giving nothing for basketball at all that I know of. Correct me if I'm wrong!!!!

Reply #225461 | Report this post

Mrs SW  
Years ago

Totally agree hereshcenes

Reply #225464 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

raytri i think you will find that the SA Gov consider the wiping of the debt with the sale of the BASA infrastructure to be their tip in.

What really should be raised as an issue is why was the dome sold to people who did not bid the most for it?

It was tax payers money that was being thrown away.

Was the sale part of a boys club deal where by the purchasers have long term relationships and some say friendships with those involved in the selling.

The purchasers were offered preferential treatment to other bidders at the time. This deal has stunk from day one and now karma is avenging the back door dealings.

The 36ers are in a lot of strife from what i hear financially and there is a very large question mark over the clubs future.

Reply #225470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"most bidders will tell you the team is worth nothing unless you can get a percentage of the dome as well"

why? could be more trouble and expense than its worth. stick to core operations and leave that hassle to someone else.

Reply #225473 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

If the restrictions on the use of the Dome weren't in place when it was sold, it would now be a church. The 36ers would be in real strife if they no venue to play in.

Reply #225484 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Raytri is corect about the caveat on the Dome, because it was being built around the same time as the entertainment centre with a similar capacity(8-10k).

If anyone recalls SAFM were hounding the Govt that Melbourne had just built an Entertainment centre, and they were getting all these international concerts, and poor little Adelaide was missing out.....
Problem is when you compare the population and potential income the figures didn't stack up too well.

If I recall correctly, they tried to get basketball at the entertainment centre to prop up the figures but BASA didnt want to do this (probably wanted to be independant).

Govt basicaly said ok, if you're not with us, you're against us, so we'll lend you the money, but we wont help you to be a success. (No concerts for supplementary income). I dont remember if the caveat was indefinate, or even tied to the loan, but now that the debt has been written of, and the stadium sold, perhaps that caveat doesn't apply any more as there are different parties involved?

Reply #225486 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

There is only a caveat on the stadium which involves the situation Eddy Groves finds himself in. This is a new thing.

BASA actually started building this stadium first but had severe delays due to the nature of building in an ex dump site. The AEC was opened July 20, 1991, Powerhouse / Dome was opened for action in 1992

The stadium was built as a multi-purpose facility and has even hosted a Circus and Tom Jones concert early on.

The SA Government saw this stadium as an opponent to the tax payer funded AEC's success and struck a deal with BASA that would see them paid $250,000 per annum not to hold concerts or effectively compete with the AEC.

From memory the AEC has only just started becoming profitable, more so that they promote acts as well as host them now.

To ensure this did not happen council regulations were amended to their current status.

The restrictions remain however the $250,000 payment was canceled with the sale to the current owners.

The $250,000 was paid to BASA by way of discounting their loan repayments annually.

The purchasers missed a key opportunity to have the restrictions lifted.

Reply #225494 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

And forgot to add that it can not be a church as the zoning precludes gathering of more than 2000 people 18 times per year for non sport events.

So it could be used as a church but only once a month as per the zoning regulations.

Reply #225495 | Report this post

I am Mutley  
Years ago

#225435, anon are you joking?

What has happened in Victoria is a disaster; My heart goes out to the families of victims.
I am saddened and shocked by what has happened but I will not be locking my self away in a dark room for weeks on end just because of it.

If we take your reaction to its logical conclusion then all TV stations should remove all programing of a light hearted nature, no happy music should be allowed on the radio and all sporting contests that are not donating their entire proceeds to the victims would be banned.

Take a couple of Panadols and have a good lay down.

P.S. Lab governments will send the country broke, the Libs will fix it all up, like they always do, when they get back into power.

Reply #225601 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And that this should occur for any natural disaster or loss of life anywhere on the planet. Or is a local life more valuable than one further away?

Reply #225625 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754