Loco
Years ago

Mindset: Sixers v. Hawks

Morning Hoops Peoples,

During the daily trek to work this morning, I was thinking about the last game of the season, in between vaguing out and trying to stay awake.

The 'Gong will obviously be hyped with all sorts of emotion and the crowd will be ravenous - not unlike Brett's potentially last game at the Dome last Saturday.

Given that we've secured a finals birth and we're not likely to move positions, we really don't have much to lose.

Then again, what we have is a perfect finals dress rehearsal.

The game will no doubt be played with play-off style intensity in front of a play-off-esque crowd. Maybe we should approach this is a dry run for our one-off away finals birth?

Anything, for the love of GOD, anything that helps prevent another first round finals exit has gotta be a good thing.

Eh. Just a thought.

Topic #19038 | Report this topic

Peter  
Years ago

Yeah - I wonder about how the 36ers will respond to the emotion that will be driving the Hawks and the crowd as well. I remember the past seasons when you could rely on Adelaide to drop their last away game of the season, usually against someone whose season was over (Taipans, anyone) - regardless of how important it was for play-off positions. This game has that sort of scenario written all over it.

What gives me hope that the 36ers will do better against the Hawks is the younger players in the team - Schenscher, Bruce, Hill particularly - are likely to be sparked by the emotion too. If the coaching staff can get them to channel the extra energy into smart play, we will get really good games out of these guys. At the same time, we have some really reliable, experienced players - Maher, Davidson, Ballinger - who can rise above the emotion and impose themselves on the game.

Overall, I think the 36ers will get this one but I also think it's going to be decided in the last 2 mionutes of the game. Scott Ninnis and his staff will have a lot to do to make sure the 36ers get away with the win. They will have to have tactics ready to counter the impact of the Hawks' sixth man - the crowd.

Reply #225476 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If there is no chance of changing position on the ladder will players be rested???
eg Maher, Luke and Balls

They could give Winitana a lot of minutes, hell even give Burdon or Hodan a good run (20min+) to get some indication for next year.

Reply #225485 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Good point, however I don't believe we have a stable enough unit that knows their roles yet to rest the big guns too much.

ie. Grizz still has work to do in particular, depending on how he recovers from injury.

Reply #225488 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sitting in Maccas in sydney (gotta love free wifi, havent been in Maccas for 3years..but free wifi makes the diffeence)

Deciding do i go to the game at the Gong...will be mylast chance to see Brett, but...with nothing to play for...i can see us geting creamed....is it worth the trip..and the dollars of rentacar..entry etc.

aaahh decisions decisions

Reply #225610 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

There is plenty to play for IMO. Just because the result doesnt influence the ladder at all, doesnt mean we couldnt use a win to have some more confidence heading into next week.

Reply #225614 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754