skip
Years ago

Melbourne v Townsville - Spoilers

Just noticed on the live scores that there is no Anstey. Is he just being rested as the Tigers are locked in 2nd or is something up?

Topic #19045 | Report this topic

michael  
Years ago

just being rested

Reply #225526 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The game preview had Tigers by plenty.
But looks like it's gonna be very close.

Reply #225527 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Tigers win comfortably.

So now..

We play NZ if thy win one of their two games.
or
Perth if NZ lose both their games and Perth wins their game
or
Townsville if NZ lose their 2 games and Prth lose their game.

So, I would say its a 90% chance we are going to NZ.

And if Perth beat the Tigers, they will play Townsville at Home. If they lose, they head to Townsville.

Reply #225538 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cheers for that Skip!

Reply #225551 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wouldn't like to predict a winner. The form of NZ and the others is a bit hard to follow.
I wonder if fox got another dud game , or whether there was anything interesting that happened.

Reply #225554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One interesting thing was Homicide's interview before the game. When he was told Anstey wasn't playing he stated a couple of times that Townsville would be walking away with the 'W'.

Reply #225557 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

and then he went on to miss 15 lay ups!

Reply #225559 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

At a time where the league needs to be showcasing its talent as much as possible the Tigers rest Anstey on national TV.

Tigers should be fined IMO

Reply #225568 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Skip - I had it going a little differently, but I may be wrong.

If NZ win one of their games, they finish third. If Perth lose and we win, we get 5th and play Townsville. If Perth lose and we lose, or if Perth win then we get 6th and play NZ.

If NZ lose both games, then it's more complicated. If Perth lose and we win, we get 5th, NZ get 4th and we play NZ. If Perth win then we get 6th, Perth get 3rd and we play Perth.

I feel that NZ will win at least one of the games. After that, I think Perth will lose (depends on whether Anstey is playing) and we will win - just. So I think it's 60% likely we'll end up playing Townsville, 30% likely that we'll end up playing NZ and 10% likely we'll end up playing Perth. My preference is for Perth.

Reply #225570 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I wouldn't bet on the Breakers winning squat at the mo, 09 has been a disaster so far but at least we'll be fielding a fit Penny and Bruton and Jones is playing some nice ball. Not gona hold my breath though, the team name still has NZ at the start of it so a choke is never to far away lol

Reply #225572 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Peter - Perth have the series on us, so we can not jump above them.

Reply #225574 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Was anyone else angry when Carfino seemed to gloat that "Melbourne raised more money for Wheels than his home town of Adelaide"?

Seemed so unnecessary.

Much like his "Last game EVER at the Dome for Brett" repetition. According to Steve, we will not make the second round of the finals apparently.

Reply #225577 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

You're partly right and I made a mistake in my post above.

If it's a three way tie between 36ers, Perth and NZ, then the head to head results among all three teams determines finishing places. That head to head has NZ 4-2, 36ers 3-3, Perth 2-4 (courtesy of NZ sweeping Perth 3-0 this season).

That's the only way we go above Perth to 5th. That can only happen if NZ lose both, Perth lose and we win. So, correct my assessment above about what happens if NZ win one, Perth lose and we win. Then we're still 6th and play NZ. So we end up playing NZ or Perth. I'll change my asessment to go with you Skip - 90% chance we'll be playing NZ. But I'd still rather we play Perth.

Reply #225587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Carfino was gloating, but it is hard to belive that the tigers raised so much more than adelaide when he didn't even play for them. Adelaide's contribution was very small.

Reply #225643 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Anstey wasnt being rested so much as he injured his groin at training on tuesday. The herald sun reported it as a knock to the hip but the word is GROIN.

Reply #225717 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754