Isaac
Years ago

Joey Wright goes after Eddy Groves in court

One-time Brisbane Bullets coach Joey Wright has started legal proceedings against then boss Eddy Groves over unpaid money:

Mr Wright claims he is owed $US192,400 ($A292,000) in lost earnings, as well as $171,500 in perks and bonuses to be paid in Australian dollars.
The championship-winning Texan, now in a property business in the United States, claims he was to be paid $US100,000 for the first year, increasing by 10 per cent each year.

He claims the deal also involved game bonuses, including $500 for each game won during the season and final series, $2000 for the Bullets making the play-off, $5000 for each round advanced by the team and $10,000 if the Bullets won the championship.

Mr Wright says he was promised a $250 monthly fuel allowance for nine months each year; a mobile phone with unlimited usage; a fully maintained vehicle for work and private use; $18,000-a-year rental allowance; three return flights to the value of $9500; $10,000-a-year travel allowance; and $5000-a-year family medical insurance.
Full story here

You just know that Bullets players at the time would've been getting similar perks as well!

Topic #19078 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol "perks and bonuses" - those overspending brisbane fools.

Reply #225898 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

The fool was Eddy and the various people that got caught up in his b.s fantasy double life, 'anon'.
(Get a screen name if you don't have one already)

Yes Isaac, you're right- the players with a high profile made sure they got theirs- as for the little guys that didn't even get standard match payments towards the end, well...

Reply #225904 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Whats the issue?

We all would have taken the Perks...and i seem to remember the glory days of the 36ers werent squeaky clean were they?

Reply #225907 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Admittedly, the perks Joey was offered are pretty exorbitant aren't they?
Some players in Brisbane caught up in Eddy's drama appear to be learning the lesson that money aint everything and appreciate what you've got for as long as you get it, but I still get the feeling that if they could get tangled up with another Eddy clone, they'd jump at the chance without properly considering the consequences and lessons they've experienced.

Reply #225910 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Interesting I heard the Wildcats were very interested in his services for next season.Perhaps a better look at his record and the money spent on winning one championship along with his salary may suggest he wasn't that good.Certainly had talent and lots of money if I was in business that result would be rated average to poor at best.

Reply #225942 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Wildcats were interested just before the Bullets officially folded- they are still interested now as well as Blaze as reported by Rillie.

Reply #225946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:13 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754