Isaac
Years ago

All Star Weekend tweaks?

Was just flicking through TrueHoop's coverage of the All Star Weekend which included some suggested changes to the line-up which might revitalise the spectacle.

One suggestion was that instead of Rooks vs Sophs, they run Rookies vs D-League All-Stars. Has potential, I think.

Another was for a state-based two-on-two tournament. Or bottom-NBA teams vs top Euro teams. Or more of a novelty skills challenge (keep your handle while being attacked by dogs?).

But the concept I thought I'd put up for discussion was the idea of two captains (Bill Simmons proposed Kobe and LeBron) taking alternate turns picking their line-ups from the full mix of All-Stars. No East vs West, just one crew against the other. If Kobe picked Mo Williams before LeBron, would Mo go out there hungrier looking to show up his Cavs pal?

Topic #19084 | Report this topic

nutter  
Years ago

I like a few of those ideas, I would rather rookie soph then rookie d-league just because I dont know any of the d-league players. The all-star idea I think has potential however it takes a bit of the rivalry out of the concept I would think.

How about a trick shot comp, have 8 players play one on one QF style, the winners go on and so on.

Reply #225953 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

TNT ran Horse which has potential to be entertaining if they show it all to us..

Reply #225954 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I watched "Horse" online and it was woeful. Mayo, Durant and Joe Johnson. I counted at one stage about 14 missed shots in a row. They were not very inventive with their shots either. The Skills challenge is a bit weary too.

Like the idea of a 2 on 2 comp....

Reply #225959 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Love the school yard style of picking teams Isaac, great concept..... with so many players switching teams and changing conferences these days.... the whole East v West thing has lost a lot of relevance anyway.

Reply #225964 | Report this post

Carpenter  
Years ago

foreign players vs NBA players

Gasol
Ginobili
Dirk
Nocioni
Parker
Oberto
Scola
Bargnani, etc.

vs.

Lebron
Kobe
D-Wade, etc.

It's probably more of an "exhibition" game, as opposed to an all-star game. I'd like it, not so much for the US All-Stars, but to see the foreign players playing together. It would be a real treat.

And the dunk contest after last year's re-birth, has again plunged to the level of farce. Nique vs. MJ - it's all been done before.

Reply #225980 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I think the foreign playes vs. USA is a good concept, but once you get down into the 12th foriegn player, it would get a bit weak compared to the 12th USA guy. Then the 13th USA guy that didn't make it would complain that he didn't make it but someone like Barbosa makes it.

I would still love to see a 1 on 1 comp. That would be awesome, seeing lebron vs. Kobe, then odd matchups like Dwight vs. Kobe.

All star games are often not that competitive anyway, I reckon picking teams would make it more competitive than anything, as some of the guys picked last would be busting their balls to prove themselves. Mo might want to show up Lebron if on a different team?

Reply #226000 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

One tweak I did like was Shaq's intro....

Reply #226004 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

The dunk contest wasnt to bad... Rudy Fernandez's second dunk would it have been huge if he managed to pull it of in the first couple of attempts, Nates dunk over Dwight was insane. Next years will be massive with Dwight, Nate and Lebron planning on being there.

Reply #226060 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754