hereschenes
Years ago

Hornets move Chandler to Thunder for Smith, Wilcox

http://linky.com.au/7e5uq

I can't believe this. I understand the financial ramifications of it for both clubs, but from a purely basketball POV, I'm shattered. The Hornets are going to need to score 120 every night to beat teams with any sort of decent front-court now.

*annoyed*

Topic #19104 | Report this topic

hustle  
Years ago

I was about to start a thread on whether it made any sense.

Remember in the Free Agency period last year the hornets went over the cap by signing James Posey to a 4 year $25 million deal. Now, I am a big fan of Posey, but I think this has just come back to bite them.

In saying that, they had the MLE (I think..) and wanted to use it, so if it wasnt Posey it would have been somebody else.

Losing Chandler makes financial sense in the short term, but the Hornets are going to struggle on the court now.

Reply #226171 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

i dunno so much...

Joe Smith has been in a very good player in his role for the last 3 or 4 teams he has played for and Wilcox can pick up big numbers if he gets minutes BUT you are right, defensively he is a liability.

Both of those guys will need to cover for a fully fit Chandler - he hasn't been fit OR in form this year.

Chandler can only score from dunks and scraps around the basket so with Joe Smith's range it might open the lane up for Chris Paul.

I say it isn't that bad for the Hornets!

Reply #226172 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

They will regret this one for sure

Reply #226174 | Report this post

spurs_suck  
Years ago

Second worst trade this season.
After Detroit and Denver, The nuggets and thunder, have surely got the best end of these trades.
As a hornets fan, im very annoyed also.

Reply #226175 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lol, love the moniker, spurs_suck. I'm a big Hornets fan also!

The only plus I can see is Wilcox's offensive skills, although it will be interesting to see how he meshes with West. I hope you're right djrod, but I'm feeling pretty pessimistic. They are going to need to sign a top-notch free agent this offseason to redeem this deal, but in the short-term it kills whatever chances we had in the West. I hope I'm eating my words come playoff time...

Reply #226176 | Report this post

curtley_ambrose  
Years ago

Joe Smith is now on his tenth team, having had 2 stints with 2 of those teams in his 13 year career, that's gotta be some sort of record. Looking at Chandler's stats however, he's not doing much lately (8 & 8), and if the Hornets want to make a run for the title next year, you would think they would need someone better than him. Obviously it's to free up salary cap space, not because they believe they'll be better off with Smith and Wilcox.

Here's some random questions: Firstly, who was it that was recently traded for the rights to Frederic Weis (Carter's Sydney posterboy)? It involved New York is all i know. This trade is an example of how pointless contracts can be, but in many ways the NBA is a bit of a joke.

Secondly, who is the ex Spurs player who played for 14 teams over his career (I think he finished with the spurs). I tip Joe Smith to play for another 2-3 years and break this guy'srecord for most teams played for.

Thirdly as an aside - did anyone laugh out loud when they saw the Lebron James layup through traffic (around Gasol) in the ASG? The four steps was funny enough, but the comentator saying "look at his footwork" was the zinger of the century.

Besos

Reply #226178 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Off the top of my head, I think the ex-Spurs-and-countless-others journeyman you're referring to may be Tony Massenberg.

Reply #226185 | Report this post

I'm so happy Chandler is playing for a bad team

Reply #226189 | Report this post

curtley_ambrose  
Years ago

Massenburg is the one, well done. You win an 2 asterixes - **

Reply #226192 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Curtley, I saw that too! He gets away with a lot of travels lesser players get done for.

The Hornets have got me scratching my head after this one. As Hustle said, they were keen to overpay for Posey at the start of the season, so clearly they thought they were in the hunt for a championship back then. But trading Chandler now, even though he has had a sub-par season, is a complete about face.

Is New Orleans cutting costs due to the economic environment, or do they seriously see themselves being big players in the FA market in the off season?

If its the former, then Hornets fans can look forward to a long, slow decline, culminating in Chris Paul leaving.

I'm hoping its the latter (I like New Orleans) but even then they will surely struggle to get a better big man than Chandler for the same money next Summer. Who is available for around 10-12 million that is better? Anyone got any names?

Reply #226195 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Luke Schenscher? :D

Reply #226197 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

The is a rumour that Joe Smith will be bought out and join the Celtics.

Great trade for the Thunder if Chandler can find last seasons form.

Reply #226199 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

The is a rumour that Joe Smith will be bought out and join the Celtics.

Great trade for the Thunder if Chandler can find last seasons form.

Reply #226200 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I don't think Chandler will find last years form without CP3. Chandler gets the majority of his points from lobs from CP3.

I expect Chandler to remain a defensive presence, but revert back to his mediocre offensive displays. Luckily we won't be asked to carry that much load with Durant, Westbrook and Green running the show.

Reply #226209 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

They still owed Chandler like $35 mill over the next 3 seasons. In this ecomonic climate those kind of players really have to be dominating to be kept. They need to account for CP's wages jumping from 4 mil to 13 mil next year too, and obviously didn't want to be paying luxury tax for Chandler. Anyway, Wilcox playing well is like Chandler playing crap, so no real loss at the moment anyway.

I bet they tried to move Stojakovic and couldn't. His contract KILLS them for the next three years. E.g. They are paying him $15 mill in 2010/11. Ouch. That could have been a big free agent signing in the 2010 sweepstakes.

Reply #226220 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Hornets did try and move Peja, but no one is stupid enough to take on his horrendous contract.

The next 48 hours is going to be interesting..

Talks of a Buck / Blazers trade involving Jefferson and Ridnour for LaFrentz, Outlaw and Sergio.

Talk of Vince Carter going to the Rockets for swap with T-Mac or a deal involving Artest, Landry and fillers.

Bulls are really interested in Bosh. Still talking about Amar'e.

Cavs are talking to the Wizards about Jamison (if this happens I'm heading to the TAB with a pineapple on the Cavs).

Knicks talking to the Kings about trading Nate for Salmons or Miller.

Reply #226225 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

If the Cavs take Jamison, it will help them for a couple of years, but Jamison is already 32, and locked up for another 4 years. Do you want to be paying him that $15 mill when he is 35? Hmm, but a couple championships would make it impossible for Lebron to leave?? Tough call for the Cavs.

Reply #226232 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I think Tree Rollins played for a few teams
But J smith would have to hold the record for moat teams by a no.1 pick

Reply #226250 | Report this post

j u m p . s h o t  
Years ago

sam cassel traded to sacremento for 2015 second round draft picks

Reply #226257 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

2015? That's a lot of picks to keep track of!

Reply #226259 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Bosh rumoured to Bulls in a 3-day with Amare @ the Raptors.

Thomas & Gooden @ Suns in this trade.

Reply #226308 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

"The Kings agreed on Wednesday to a trade that sends forward John Salmons and center Brad Miller to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for forwards Drew Gooden, Andres Nocioni and Michael Ruffin"

http://linky.com.au/un05m

Just a salary dump by the Kings?

Reply #226340 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Chandler trade shot down........

Oklahoma City Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti announced today that the team has rescinded its trade with the New Orleans Hornets for center Tyson Chandler. The Thunder and the Hornets agreed on the deal, pending a physical, that would have sent Chandler to the Thunder in exchange for forward Joe Smith, forward Chris Wilcox and the draft rights to DeVon Hardin.

"We were pleased to add Tyson to the Thunder roster," said Presti. "During the course of the physical examination and outside consultations some questions arose that gave us cause for concern. We felt that this course of action was the best for our organization."

Reply #226389 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Wow, that's huge.

They have 16 hours to find a new trade! But good luck, if he failed one teams physical, he will probably fail anothers.

Reply #226391 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Hmm.... I guess I'm happy then! Just hope this doesn't ruin the team chemistry. It must be awkward for all parties concerned though.

Reply #226392 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

He's not even expiring nor has the possibilities of a retiring medical nature/injury like Cat Mobley, so there will be no benefit in waiving his medical to simply get his contract to reduce cap space next season.

Reply #226393 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yeah, imagine the next team meeting with the GM. "No, we really want you here!" Awkward.

Reply #226399 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754