Jack Toft
Years ago

Game Night: KO time in NZ

Many are writing us off tonight, can we keep the dream alive for one last hurrah for Brett?

Game's on Foxtel - watch out for the Noize.

Topic #19113 | Report this topic

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

Unfortunately I think this one will be a comfortable win to NZ. The Sixers road record this year has been shocking, and I've seen nothing to suggest a change.
NZ by 15.

Having said that, GO SIXERS!!!

Reply #226322 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

If we play with the passion that both team played with last night we should have a shot. The sixers just don't seem to be able to play like that away from home.

Reply #226323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Breakers paying $1.22, 36ers $4.35.

Line is -9.0, game total 197.5.

Reply #226324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although our road games this year have been pretty below par, anything can happen in a finals game.

I'm quietly confident of a Sixers win.

Reply #226325 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Last nights win by Townsville is making me a little more confident that we can actually snatch this one.

I agree the Breakers are favourites but, $4.35 for a 36ers win is far too high IMO. The Breakers have only won around 30% of their last 11 games!! I will be getting some hard earned on the boys for a win at those odds.

The key really is to shut down their outside shooters, If they are cold, we are in the box seat.

Sixers by 5

Reply #226327 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

36ers will bring this home by 2 in overtime

Reply #226330 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the 36ers make it through, here's information on ticketing for a possible home semi final.

Reply #226331 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Are thos Bet Fair odds? Trying to work out where to get some money down - I'll take those odds.

We can do this boys - fire up.

Reply #226333 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

I'd love to see us get the W. We need to keep pounding the ball into Luke & the officials need to ensure the fouls are called. If Luke is dominating inside it will free up our shooters & give us a good chance.

Grizzard also needs to fire up & hit some shots.

My tip - Breakers by 15 +

Reply #226335 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Just like JR last night our shooters are due for a big game. I am looking primarily at Aaron to be the difference in this one.

Rat should be all over CJ pushing his dodgy ankle to the limit.

Speaking of CJ is the recent Breakers slump coinciding with more FGA from him? I would like to see some stats if any one has them from when they win to win they lose and how CJ's stats relate.

Reply #226338 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Which outside shooter are you planning to shut down?
Penney will just take it inside, CJ will just take 1 step over half way and it's RANGE, Foreman only has to knock a couple down, Jones will step up like he always does and the Bear is the man. The only threat from our point of view is Ballinger as he can hurt us inside and out, Bretts a mean player but he's just another guard with game to me. In saying all that, this comp has proved that on their day any team can beat anyone (except for maybe tha Blaze lol). Good luck to the Sixers and lets hope the refs let the players decide the outcome and not their whistles.

Reply #226339 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

im hoping luke hhas a big one

Reply #226341 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

you may have to sneak into the changing room after the game to get your answer kobe-for-mvp lol

Reply #226342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The odds I posted are from Centrebet.

Reply #226356 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ive got $35 on them thru TAB to win $140 and $5 to win by 11+ which would earn me another $60.

Reply #226365 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Paora might step up for this. Grizzard is due.
Assuming Ballinger and Schenscher play their normal,
we might be able to get this win.

Reply #226385 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Possibly, the odds are the way they are because of the last time the 36ers played the Breakers in Auckland..The Breakers won by 38!

Reply #226386 | Report this post

Years ago

The Sixers zone will work against NZ. Hides a few 'inefficiencies' by a few of the boys and with Schensch filling up the middle allows you to extend to the shooters. The breakers don't strike me as being an awesome offensive rebounding team which is a weakness of a zone. Just may be the tactic that gets the Sixers over the line.

Reply #226387 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Im (so far unsucesfully)searching far and wide for a screen showing the game in Perth :(

Reply #226394 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Sixers by 10!

Reply #226396 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

actually skux last time we played there we beat them by 10

Reply #226397 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Do you mean sixers by 11 , TC.
Looks like that pays $12.

Reply #226398 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

Reply #226400 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

What is the time difference with NZ? 2 1/2 hours?

Reply #226402 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Well, it's 4pm. Nearly game time. I know me and a mate are about to sneak out of work, grab a pizza and some drinks and crank the Foxtel broadcast.

For all the peeps watching at the Stag - have a good one.

Let's go Sixers, let's go...HARD.

Reply #226406 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"For all the peeps watching at the Stag - have a good one."

Was Skip buying the first round?

Reply #226407 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

its time!

Reply #226412 | Report this post

Basket 35  
Years ago

schench lost the jump!

Reply #226414 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Good to see we brought our 'A' game tonight. Down 19 - 5 already!

Fat lady might be calling this one early.

Reply #226415 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

14-24.

I don't care if we lose (well, I do, but I'm expecting to)... just make a jolly show of it Sixers!!

Reply #226417 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Obviously the 6ers haven't started well, but this umpiring is a f***ing disgrace.

How does Dillion Boucher get away with all his antics, and then Bruce gets T'd up for a phantom retaliation?

And at the start, CJ passes off to Penney then runs thru Brett off-ball, no foul ... and Penney then plows thru Davo and knees him in the head. Foul on Davo? Bitch, please! Is there even a meaning of out-of-control anymore??

Anyways, back to the Sixers, do any of them know how to slide their feet or get back in transition? Cos it's absolutely killing us! Props to Brad Hill tho, great impact of the court in that first Q.

Reply #226418 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

that should be great impact off the bench for Brad Hill! Sorry!

Reply #226419 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Back to 5, Hill looks like he is killing it!

Reply #226420 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Good to see Hilly stepping up, but,

a) he needs to keep it going, and

b) he needs a few mates!!!

Reply #226421 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Boucher is a thug, no question. Unfortunately the DHD crowd isn't there to boo him so the refs notice.

Live score link, btw: http://linky.com.au/dwggw

16 for Hilly! I'm guessing Lemanis forgot to draw up a game-plan for him?

Reply #226422 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

16pts to Hill already! Let's not leave him as the "lone ranger" and get a couple others to step up as well!

Reply #226423 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Ohhh! Great spin by Brad Hill there! All Class! C'mon boys, someone help out Brad and Balls!

Reply #226424 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

For those like me who couldn't make it to the Stag or are rich enough to have Foxtel, is there any live audio for this game (been looking but cannot locate)???

Reply #226425 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Half time, 50-46. Great effort to get back that close.

Hill's 20 point first half at 64% is extremely impressive. Wish I could see this in front of a screen somewhere! Only blemish is his 1-5 free throw shooting. But I am happy that he is making it to the line.

Balls and Schench doing ok. Everyone else needs to step up a bit.

NZ living (and presently dying) from the 3-point line: only 4/18 (22%). We have hit the same number of threes from 10 less attempts!

Reply #226426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

try www.radiosport.co.nz

Reply #226427 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

20 points for Hilly at half time. What's his career high for points in a game?

The good thing is, he now knows he can do it. He's just raised the bar for expectations on him for next season.

Reply #226428 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Better D in the second quarter (and it needed to be).

Scottie would have to be happy to be down by only four given that we were down by 15-odd midway through the first quarter.

Reply #226429 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I'm very confident going into this second half, with a few minor adjustments (eg. Grizz closing out on Oscar) and Hilly continuing to rip it up we should come out on top. Bruce needs to play 15-20 of the next 24mins. Davo looks very shaky.

Reply #226430 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

just checking in, glad to see we are back in this game. And you would think if the other guys can start to get into the game we should be paced well. Hopefully brett digs in for maybe his last and pulls out a great 2nd half.

Reply #226432 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

any radio feed?

Reply #226433 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

A lot of "Brett Maher 2pt Missed" shots.....C'mon Brett you can lift son!

Reply #226434 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

cant find any sound here :(

Reply #226435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

radio feed www.radiosport.com.nz

Reply #226436 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Some terrible decision making out there at the moment. C'mon guys, stop turning the freakin' ball over by passing it straight to the opposition!!! We're digging a hole for ourselves at the moment.

Reply #226437 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

nothing is streaming from them, at least for me. on the game we just cant get it that close.

Reply #226438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry can't help you it's streaming great for me

Reply #226439 | Report this post

ted  
Years ago

can someone pls tell me the score

Reply #226440 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

These refs need a freakin rulebook. It's not their judgement (well, it's that too) but they actually don't know the rules. Can't see us coming back.

Reply #226441 | Report this post

Joe Johnson  
Years ago

12 more minutes left of this season.

Different coach, different players, same result.

The Sixers haven't advanced in the finals for 7 years. 7!!!!

The last plaoff series they won was the Grand Finals in 2002.

The last playoff game they won was 2003.

Awful.

I feel sorry for Maher that his final seven years in the league were spent like this. What a legend, he'll be missed.

Reply #226442 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

75-88 down by the way.

Reply #226443 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Damned 'Hail Mary' buzzer beater!!! That leaves us down by 13 at 3/4 time with a mountain to climb.

Mahersy 1-of-8 from the field at 13%. Has the Maherstro got one last big quarter left in him?

We need to find other scoring options besides Hilly & Balls. C'mon guys, this is it!!

Reply #226445 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Unfortunately for the team and mostly for Mahersy....looks like the fat lady is warming up the vocals....C'mon boys, one last dig, sit the fat biatch down...!!!

Reply #226446 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

It's over :(

Footy season time!!!

Reply #226447 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Time for a new coach...

Reply #226448 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Breakers are just shooting the lights out now.....22pts Best thing to take out of this season is to retain as many players as possible and build around a Maher-less team. Need good import(s) to accommodate that...hopefully the boys can take a lot out of this season and go a few better and even all the way in 09/10

Reply #226449 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Hey Rick Rickert, your up by 25 pts, show some respect for the other team you tosser!

Reply #226450 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Officially the worst celebration ever by Ruck Ruckert.

Breakers are absolutely burrying us now.

Reply #226451 | Report this post

Basket 35  
Years ago

gap out to 30 now

Reply #226452 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

bye bye Brett

Reply #226453 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

lol Ruck Ruckert. Nice one Xztatik!

Reply #226454 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Just want to say thanks to brett for all he has done for the 36ers, the state and the basketball community. Shame he could not go out with a ring but the mark he has left on a community will stay for ever.

Reply #226455 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Here here JP. Thanks to Brett Maher for all the fantastic memories! Pity it has to end here for him and that we couldn't at least go one better this year for him. There will never be another Brett Maher but let's go on in the wake of his retirement and win a much needed championship in the coming seasons!

Reply #226457 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Rickert will be out of a job next season, reminds me of dewey michaels. Up 30 and you do an aeroplane dance past the opposition bench, yet taking a shot in last 5 seconds of a done game is disrespectful!!!! It was the most bizzare thing, i didnt even think we played that bad for the majority of that, Breakers just did NOT miss a thing in from about the 6 minute mark of the second half.

Thanks Brett, probably the most emotional ive been watchinga basketball game, its all became so real it was his last game.

Reply #226458 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

What a disappointing way to finish the season. Especially for Mahersy: he deserved better that that effort.

Sixers 15 turnovers, Breakers 6. Breakers 11 steals, Sixers 3. They sseemed to score off pretty much every turnover and steal that went their way, and that was the ball game right there.

Reply #226459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to let Brett Maher down boys. He deserved better.

Breakout display Hill - incredible. Solid from Balls and Luke.

Fire Bruce and Cooper. Please.

Reply #226460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Loco

Reply #226461 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Time for a new coach already, Dana? Well, I suppose there's an experienced, balding bloke who might be available, he's not doing anything much at the moment... or perhaps we could entice Boy Goorj over to Adelaide...

Scottie needs to be given a fair shot at it, by which I mean at least two and preferably three years. It doesn't matter how much of a coaching apprenticeship you've had: nothing can prepare you for when it's you sitting in the head coach's seat and it's your neck on the line, especially in Adelaide (what was that - did I hear some one say 'p!$$ant'?).

Case in point from the AFL: Mark Harvey had a long aprenticeship under possibly the best mentor in the caper, yet is stuggling at Fremantle. At the other extreme, Michael Voss walks into Brisbane with no apprenticeship whatever: it'll be interesting to see how he goes.

As long as Scottie can learn from his mistakes, and get the players to learn from theirs...

Reply #226462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calling for a new coach is just ridiculous.

Reply #226467 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Beagle, Scottie has had one season too many already. Time for him to go right now. He was never going to be the 36ers saviour this season. Not experienced enough at this level. Under his leadership, I have watched a team completely lost and confused on the road. Perhaps its not even Scottie who should be congratulated on the home performance but the fans. Ninnis sends too many mixed messages because he himself cannot work out a solution for them. He has had a whole season of trying a whole myriad to strategies and unsuccessfully. I cannot believe anyone who has followed this season right through could say that he has done well under the circumstances. His performance has been totally lack lustre. I personally do not want to persevere another season with Ninnis as coach. I started following the 36ers the next season after the last championship and I am getting pretty impatient. If the 36ers put up a good fight during their away games, you could have been a little more forgiving. Instead its been totally frustrating watching the team on the road. What was the rubbish they played tonight? One minute they were playing man on man, then switching to zone. They didn't know if they were coming or going. As for the 2 assistants, what do they get paid to do? They appear to do anything but assist. Surely they can see when something is not working well and make some suggestions to the coach. They just seem to go along with whatever Ninnis wants to do.

Another year wasted. Brett will have to come back next season because I hate the thought that this is the way he is ending his career.

Reply #226469 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Big raps to hilly and scotty was average, period

Reply #226472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only that EFT back in December had made it to it's destination....

Reply #226478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you think I feel, watched a great game last night went to hairdressers tonight leave jump in car listen to ABC and here Peter Goers announce that the sixers had just won in NZ and that Brad Hill had scored 32. believable that we had won if Hill scored 32 I thought and was planning on going to see sixers play tigers in the coming week. Sent text to friends to say sixers had won to only hear a retraction that the sixers had lost. Big gaff Peter Goers. Very cruel and unusual punishment.

Reply #226480 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Well, that made for good reading. Fire everyone except Hill, he puts the ball in the hole quite good.

Reply #226486 | Report this post

Billy!!  
Years ago

lol at nbl.com.au recap

"For Adelaide new talent Grant Hill showed he was a player of the future with 32 points while Adam Ballinger had 22 and Rod Grizzard 22."

Grant hill?? no wonder he had no points for the suns today...he shot them all in NZ.

Reply #226490 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

i agree with getting rid of ninnis aswell. top bloke dont get me wrong but with the team we had this year we by far are the biggest under achievers of the league. too many times ive seen us give up between 110 to 125 points a game, and when we do this we lose everytime. i dont care who the coach is i just wanna see some defence.

Reply #226496 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

what if the coach was ninnis with a new D scheme would that be ok for you?

Reply #226506 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I hate this BS
The team loses and the Coach is to be sacked
The team wins and hes lauded as a young Phil Smyth

Stick with him guys- changing coaches every time the team has a sub par year just doesn't bode well in my eyes

See how he goes next year...

For what it's worth i have been dissapointed with Grizz, really hoped to see his work ethic and big dunks he showed in Singapore

Will we keep him?

Reply #226507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grizzard has been a huge disappointment - I can see why the Tigers got rid of him.

Reply #226509 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Well anon why suggest losing Bruce. He has fantastic skills which need a little honing at this level. Its his first year. Do we really need to let more talent slip through our fingers. Next season will be his.

As for Coops his ability was proven last season and remains available for us to use if he is played to advantage, which has not happened all this season. He is a very valuable bench player and a wasted asset when he is used just to rest the "bigs instead of being played with them.

If we can keep the basic side together and recruit a couple of consistant shooters from range, we will have an exciting side next season.

Playing sucessfully away is all about being able to hit consistantly from range. The inside game is always there.

I am sure that our stats must show we are the poorest team in the comp when shooting from outside the line.
If our percentages are up then its only when our number of shots taken are down.

Scott has done a pretty fair job all things considered. He frustrated me early in the season but definately improved as the games went by.
I am sure he will continue to improve and given a more stable and balanced side we will rock next season.

Comments!

Reply #226528 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Grizzard is a difficult one to decide on whether he should stay for next season. The reason being is that he is a great 3 point shooter but the problem is he doesn't use it enough. I commented in a previous post about last Friday's game in Wollongong and how he was shooting an avalanche of 3 pointers in warm ups and making most of them. Tonight against New Zealand he showed again that he can shoot the 3 but for some reason seems to hold back. I just wonder if he needs more confidence within the team. He has only played 6 games with the 36ers and perhaps a whole season with them after intensive training in the pre season will see him open up and become a prolific 3 point shooter. The question is do you risk it or do you let him go and not really know what he may have brought to the team. I would use his performance with the Tigers this season as a guide and release him.

Reply #226529 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Spot on EC we need several 3pt shooters that are hungry and dont hesitate to shoot at every opportunity.
This season we let most opportunities go by, No one wants the responsability of taking a shot. Its a bit like having Nash back. We need to recruit a couple of outside shooters who are greedy for big scores and agressive about it.

Reply #226532 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"The reason being is that he is a great 3 point shooter but the problem is he doesn't use it enough. I commented in a previous post about last Friday's game in Wollongong and how he was shooting an avalanche of 3 pointers in warm ups and making most of them. Tonight against New Zealand he showed again that he can shoot the 3 but for some reason seems to hold back. I just wonder if he needs more confidence within the team."

Are you joking EC??? Seriously?

Grizz is one who certainly doesn't struggle with confidence issues. He has been throwing up massive amounts of threes every game. Unfortunately they haven't been falling for him lately but to say he is holding back is ridiculous, have you even been watching the games lately? Seen him come down the court and pull-up for threes with 20 seconds left on the schotclock? He has been shooting 5 a game. I agree he has the potential to be a prolific outside scorer but to say it's a confidence issue is way off.

Reply #226534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Up until a couple of games ago, Grizz was shooting 11% from the 3 pt (since joining the sixers). You're standards musn't be too high if that's considered great shooting. While he nailed them last night, he never hits them during clutch times.

Reply #226567 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

The only 2 players that showed up last night were Davidson and Hill.

The team as a whole did not rise to the occasion, and they played it like a regular season game when the intensity has clearly risen.

Anyone who saw the Crocs v Perth game on Fox saw a great entertaining NBL Playoff standard game.

Shame on you Sixers for letting the great man Brett Maher go out on a low like that.

Reply #226572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MP, davo wasnt that great... and you can add balls to that list

Reply #226590 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Agreed anon, Davo was poor.

Reply #226647 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Rick Rickets Aeroplane impersonation was awesome, I'd resign him based on that (so disrespectful that I wet myself laughing).

Reply #226707 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754