raytri
Years ago

Rotations last night

I watched the game on Fox last night and was suprised by the persistance of the coaching staff to stick with players on court who were definitely having problems scoring. Brett, Holmes, Bruce to name a few. Surely in finals its not about the minutes per player it should be about the bottom line.

Topic #19131 | Report this topic

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

i was suprised that we started the second half with the same group that started the game.That group was nervous and got in a hole that the second group had to get us out of.Hill was doing very well and should have continued on.Why someone did not take a charge on the Breakers i dont know all they were doing for a period was driving into the key then either shooting a lay up or passing back out for an open 3 pointer.

Reply #226589 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Hill was the man, he should have instantly become the main focus for your offence as soon as he started lighting up. How many times did he get to the rack, did my head in (I made a voodoo doll of him at halftime lol)

Reply #226597 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Bruce shouldn't have left the bench after his first stint.

Reply #226601 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Yep have to agree, Schensch also didn't seem to have many minutes last night, I know he had two early fouls, but seemed a bit odd to me. Grizzard as well didn't get many minutes until the last half and also seemed to putting up pretty consistent three pointers.

Reply #226602 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Mystro, 24 shots in 25 minutes suggests he was the focus when he was on. Next most shots were taken by Ballinger and Grizzard with 12 each (and the equal 2nd highest scorers). NZ's most prolific shooter was Penney with 14 shots and he was certainly a focus for them. So I conclude Hill was definitely the focus when he was on, for Adelaide's offence.

Adelaide's problem wasn't with scoring. We took plenty of shots, hit them at a healthy rate (45%) and got a decent number of foul shots, which we didn;t shoot so well but okay (64%).

Aside from the second quarter, our problem was with stopping NZ from scoring. As has been the case for 6 years, Adelaide could not perimeter defend a team with good outside shooters. I watched Bruton and Black dismantle Adelaide at the Powerhouse in successive years for big wins to Brisbane. I watched Bruton and Smith dismantle Adelaide at the Powerhouse for the Sydney Kings. Hell, I even saw Paul Henare carve us up for a half one night when we nearly lost to the Breakers - just because he could penetrate past our guards so easily.

Given defence again seemed to be our big problem last night, was this a consideration in the amount of time Hill was on the floor? How did the NZ players he guarded go? I am only going by box scores so don't know whom he guarded during the game.

Reply #226613 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Sixers struggle time and time again with full court pressure. WHY do they never send help?
We have been spoilt with Maher when he has played PG he has brought the ball up consistently and effectively but guys like Bruce, Hill, Holmes if trapped or defended hard need help, be it a on ball screen or a passing option time and time again you watch other teams break the press but the Sixers struggle with it each and every time with their 1 man show bringing the ball up. This is by no means why we lost last night but it was a glaring weakness in our game all season and has hurt Bruce and his impact on the team/game.

Reply #226621 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

All season, we've had mediocre perimeter defense at best and atrocious at worst. Now, I know nothing about coaching but seriously, how can you constantly play a 2-3 zone when the majority of the league have consistent perimeter threats.

IMO Winitana was a sorely underused player when healthy as his quickness combined with Davidson, and younger players such as Bruce and Hill could've played a man to man defense (assuming this is legal in the NBL) to really keep them as far from the ring as possible and try to drive - in which case we have Schenscher, Ballinger or Cooper to contest any layup.

There are fewer driving players in the league than perimeter shooters, so it's not like there's a constant need to be able to collapse on the lane and double or triple team a driving player.

Reply #226624 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

DJ i think with the inexperience of bruce,the limitations of holmes,the too much dribbling of davidson and the injured maher all took its toll on the 36ers this season.
even when they broke through the d they still looked lost,making bad choices with the ball.
big luke needs to use his lower body strength more,his ability to get good seals on his defender needs work,he seems to rely on his height to much.

Reply #226645 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

To me it looked like Hill created his own shots, not have plays run especially for him.

Reply #226664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro - that's the same way the 36ers played when they had Hodge as the offensive focus - give the ball and give him room, then let him go to work. That's what I mean about him being the offensive focus when he was on.

Reply #226710 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754