HAHA
Years ago

Hawks - Here we go again

After recently admitting they just can't get it together to field a team in the NewNBL- no less than a week ago I believe, there is now another save the Hawks project going on, this time being headed by Campbell.

Apart from deciding they need about $500k, I can't help but wonder if they have even read the extensive criteria that needs to be met, of which little is specifically related to money.
When they said they weren't sending reps to the EOI Briefing the week before last, they weren't kidding.
Somebody please send this team the official criteria.

Topic #19169 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Is this still the Save The Hawks campaign?

Noticed a while back when the Hawks' death was being publicised, the local business community talkiing about the impact the loss would have on their profits on game nights. We're talking local restaurants and bars, etc. Wondered if they'd considered actually sponsoring the club while they were alive, to keep them (and the resulting community profits) afloat...

Reply #227007 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Funnily enough, this is a new one.
They had decided that they weren't going to be able to make it and have now changed their minds three days before D-Day.
Amazing what can happen in the space of two days in the Gong... reminds me of the Bullets saga which went back and forth almost on a daily basis- real Days of our Lives stuff!

Reply #227017 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

I think the current owners have said they can't go forward with BA/NEWBL into the new BS world they pouted to have created.

From the press releases, TV and Radio adds I gather the situ is as follows.

The players, to their merit, have finally woken up and started a "savethehawks.com.au" campaign with Matt running the flag up the pole.
Boyed by the 5,672 supporters that came for the last home game and numerous calls from from some avid businessmen and/or out of work coaches?

The aim is honourable , but the timing very tight.

HAHA - they won't meet the Crietria but will put a bid in if they think they can get a balanced budget and have a reasonable team for the community.
10 players getting a gig is better thasn none.
Todays article says $500,000 by Thursday.
As I said tight, and probably even if they get it how do they cover the losses above that if there is any.
BA/NEWBL is very open ended.

Maybe the Players/Coach /Staff will take a pay cut?

The bid may go in but BA/NEWBL may say thanks but no thanks if the disparity is too great from the Hawks Bid to the super teams bids.

Ie:
Salary Team "A" $M1.3 + brown Paper bags
Salary Team "Z" $M0.6 + Paper tissue to wipe tears

Don't get me wrong I hope they succeed but uncertain what can be achieved in 3 nore days.

Reply #227022 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Has anyone actually seen the criteria?
It would take around a month just to get your head around it (which is the general concencus from the EOI Briefing) and then another 2 months or so to show some sort of framework for compliance- again, this is even with taking the finance required out of the situation completely.
I love the criteria- I just find it disrespectful to expect anyone (who isn't cutting corners) to get something in by this Friday.

Reply #227024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

kcgone - interesting idea re paycuts. Had thought about it, but not in the context of players who'd otherwise be out of work, committing to them in order to get the gig. Bit like local businesses pitching in to save game night revenue they'd otherwise lose.

Reply #227039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:54 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754