yogee
Years ago

Opals and Boomers coaches

The Opals and Boomers coaches will be named tomorrow.

The Opals job is a race between Jan Stirling and Carrie Graf, with the expectation Stirling will be named till the Commonwealth Games, with Graf then expected to take over.

Brian Goorjian is expected to be appointed for a full term, taking the mens team to the 2008 Bejing Olympics before the job being declared vacant again.

Topic #1917 | Report this topic

warthog  
Years ago

are you going to put this on ozhoops yogee?

watch keegan and opal booster go crazy?

odd decision to split between jan and carrie

not unexpected about goorjian despite his shortcomings at athens

Reply #21709 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Goorj was always a shoe-in. After himself and Phil (and the question is does he want to do it again) there isn't too much left...

Lindsay is too old, been there done that...

Maybe Allan Black.. rate him as a coach

Don't rate Joyce at all.

Not many options to chose from...

Reply #21712 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

How can you NOT rate Joyce? His record speaks for itself in terms of consistetnly providing a hard team

Reply #21719 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

why on earth would the opals not appoint stirling for a full term...and how can they rationalise putting goorjan in for a full term if stirling is not going to be....the women came 2nd, coach gone, they men came 9th, coach stays.....something si wrong here.

Reply #21723 | Report this post

plenty of dribble  
Years ago

Jan has my vote

the dribble over east is they want graf because of her WNBA exposure - in an effort to beat the yanks at their own game

jan has done nothing wrong and is a dedicated team player - she deserves another term

get all the usa info off the players playing o/s

no doubt as teh no. 2 women's team - we will continue to get players in WNBA

WNBA though is getting bigger and they will get tougher to beat

Reply #21740 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Just because I don't rate Joyce doesn't mean he can't coach.

There are heaps of people I don't rate but that doesn't mean they are bad people. If I thought like that I would be walking with my head up my ar$e.

I just don't rate Joyce as the coach of the Boomers... International ball is much different to NBL.

Reply #21755 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti today: "Goorjian and Stirling's appointments will be confirmed today at a press conference in Sydney."

Reply #21786 | Report this post

plenty of dribble  
Years ago

congrats jan

good to see some commensense, you have done nothing but good as an on and off court role model for basketball

graf will have to wait for her turn

- different generation

Reply #21852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations to Jan on being appointed Opals coach again. I think it should have been for the four years so she would be at the helm for the Olympics. A coach is under a lot of pressure to get results and the planning for the Olympics is not a short term deal. If Jan gets replaced after the two years then this only gives the incomming coach two years to put their plans into action. There is only one spot higher Jan could have taken the team and given the chance I am sure she can do it. Goorjian is a different situation.

Reply #21878 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754