Anonymous
Years ago

Can Lightning win today??

I reckon it's a big call. Foley really has to step up and like Boti said in the paper today Gahan has to get the ball more!

Topic #19205 | Report this topic

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

Yes!! if they score more points than Townsville. I tell you who won't win today and that is Bendigo!

Reply #227396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yerrr..........they need to put the ball in the basketball in the hoop more in order to win.

Reply #227397 | Report this post

knowledge  
Years ago

its obvious there are so many more M C P's visiting this site, than intelligent ones.

hope lightning win, but don't think they have the game to beat Townsville. definately need another guard.

good luck girls!

Reply #227405 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Girls down 15-4 early... shooting 7% from the field.

Come on girls!

Reply #227407 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

29-13 at quarter time..

Reply #227408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seen the first 3 mins on TV and let me say they are not going to win with Marino on the floor. Just watch her defence -sorry I mean lack of it - and you will see why. It is 4 on 5 every time they go down the court and Townsville have just worked out to attack her every time.

Unfortunately will be exposed today I feel and be their last game of the year. Pity.

Reply #227410 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

down 47-27 at half time.. not looking good

Reply #227412 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Put some pride in you bloody uniform !!
Hehe.

Reply #227414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No!

Reply #227415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does not look like it. Shame they have not even fired a shot.

Reply #227416 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

down 15 with 6:34 to go... gotta atleast finish competitively..

Reply #227417 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Season over.
We will see Foley, Gahan, Woosnam and Duke back next year ??

Reply #227420 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

lightning lose by 13

91-78

Foley had 24, Mia Newley 16 and Woosnam 15 for Adelaide...

Rohanee Cox had 24 for the Fire

Lighting lead in the assists 12-11.

Adelaide couldnt make the most of the 22 townsville turnovers.

Adelaide got absolutely smacked on the boards 41-19.

Adelaide shot 42% for the field to Townsvilles 55%.

Disappointing end to the season for the lightning....

On another note will this be Sam Woosnam's last game for the lightning? Should she have finished on a high last season?

Reply #227421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be Valk's last game also given how little time Marino got???

Reply #227423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out coached for quite some time with the exception of the Perth game where no coach was needed. No defenders or boarders and the most over rated player in the comp is francis unless its cheery season and as we all now that's over.

Reply #227424 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good third quarter from Foley, and they had a go at it in the third qtr. Otherwise never in it, with such a poor start. Cox, game MVP , didn't let us get in front, when we were having a run at it.

Reply #227427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant imagine Valk and Francis being on the same team again. Foley was impressive in her determination and effort.

Reply #227431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish foley would do something with her hair. It's be much better to watch

Reply #227432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always hard to take when the season ends. I hope we will see most of the team return next season...

Reply #227438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about the need for some offenses and defensive schemes?

Reply #227474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Valk inherited a team of wonderful players and they cruised to a championship win. No one expected this group to do as well but also no one would have expected them to self destruct so completely with starting 5's and rotations so puzzling.
What also has to be answered is the choice of back up guard in Williams who appeared to be an odd selection designed to ensure 100% court time for Marino.
I may be way off the mark but it appears from the stands that there may be too many cooks and not enough bottle washers in the Lightning group which has become a vehicle for spotlighting individuals. I think it would be an extremely hard team to coach and some might say impossible for well documented reasons.

Reply #227479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Angela wants to go to europe.
Are there any teams up for sale over there ?

Reply #227482 | Report this post

frog 87  
Years ago

lol....teams for sale...

Reply #227500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Williams was an odd choice. There are plenty of players stronger than her.She just doesnt have what it takes. Good choice for Angela though because she definately gets all the court time, because Williams is a liability on the court. She is crap!!!!

Reply #227507 | Report this post

go gg  
Years ago

That is a strange assessment of a player that has not hit the court for weeks.

How would anybody but the coaches know that she is not up to it?

Maybe some time on the court would have been some insurance in the case of an injury??

All that is needed is to bring the ball up the floor and pass it to the talent laden team, she would not need to score. then play tough defense on the opposition PG!!!

I agree lots of players could have done that role, but that was not a role devised in this team, hence they lost marino , they had no back up.

I don't see that as Williams fault '227507 '.

Reply #227516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course its not her fault, but to say all you have to do is bring the ball up and pass it off is a bit much. I think there is a lot more to it than that otherwise anyone could play. You made an important point though, the coaches do know and thats why Williams hasnt hit the court in weeks. She cant do it

They need a quality back up guard, not just someone to make up numbers and thats what got them into trouble. Not Williams fault she cant cut it at that level and its not fair on her

Reply #227535 | Report this post

go gg  
Years ago

Lightning recruited her not the other way around, so the blame falls not with the player imo.

Reply #227539 | Report this post

in the not  
Years ago

if the rumours are true about Romeo not coping with a reduced role as a NCAA D1 freshman then you can bet that she will be in the squad next year. (Maybe a bit of a push for Simon Prichard to take over the coaching job as well... maybe)

Reply #227540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Were there better options for PG from local stocks? I think the discussion at the time was about there being few stand-out alternatives?

Reply #227543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the not, if prichard takes over(officially)things will have gone from bad to worse.

Reply #227545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point, if you pardon the pun, was that they didn't want a stand out point because she'd take court time away from others.

Reply #227548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know why everyone keeps bagging the marino's... the truth is, if they sold the team, i dont think the lightning would find anyone who would put as much money into the program (or roster)as the marino's have. I think they would find themselves in serious trouble actually...

Reply #227549 | Report this post

go gg  
Years ago

It could occur that there is no lightning if they ( Marino's) pull out.
The association would not be able to fund it!!

They will not change coach 3 times in 18 months.

Reply #227552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are other interested parties that would buy it should it come up for sale, and they'd be buying it for the right reasons....

Reply #227570 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

I'm still shaking my head about Angela Marino's behaviour at the end of the Bendigo final. I realise she was injured but if she could play on without an injury break, why did she need to burst into tears and leave the court as the siren sounded and not shake hands with her opponents? Surely she could have held on for the short time required to show some respect to her opposition. Every time I convince myself everyone should give the girl a go and just let her play, something else happens....

Reply #227574 | Report this post

Agree  
Years ago

Fan - I totally agree. Was at that game and could not believe the performance she put on. Managed to play on for long enough and then surely could have spent the two mins on court to thank the fans and the crowd and then leave but NO she had to go and wlak off before the final siren ensuring she got full attention.
If it was that injured she should not have played on Saturday. She choose to say she was fit so that it not an excuse for her crap performance against the Fire.
Also if you watch the footage at the end of that game everyone else huddled up and she was stomping away from the group again.
Maybe no team without her families money but you wouldnt call them a team with her in it anyway.

Reply #227587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he sold the team someone would buy it, Boti has a daughter you know!

Reply #227590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has two daughters actually.

Reply #227619 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's funny how the knives come out after a loss

Reply #227625 | Report this post

knowledge  
Years ago

"let it be" they were never going to get to the GF. too many injuries etc.

need to do some serious recruiting for next season.

focus should be on bringing Abby Bishop to Adelaide, whatever the cost.

Reply #227633 | Report this post

frog 87  
Years ago

The sad fact ppl is that women's sport in a country this size and population base isnt going to be profitable. And even though I have no time for the Marino's and they have no time for me, I on more than one occasion told them it isnt profitable, they I think have learnt it the hard way. And will they retain ownership once Angela isnt playing I think would be doubtful, because tough econmic time's are coming even for the like's of the Marino's.

Reply #227687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frog,
most Australians couldn't tell you who was in the Australian men's team let alone the Womens'.If the Lightning fold tomorrow 99% of South Australians would not notice. Women's basketball is a non event and anyone who plays it for anything other than fun is kidding themselves.
More power to the Marino family for giving their daughter a chance to shine and not many of us would do any different if we had the funds.
There are too many obstacles in front of women's basketball for it ever to succeed here.

Reply #227694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad but true!!! Netball seems to be getting a bigger focus now though. I think its all about good marketing and that just hasnt happened with SA Basketball

Reply #227703 | Report this post

Agree  
Years ago

I dont think Women's basketball cant continue but they need to be realistic about where they sit in the sport market and then work according to that. Dont over-price the athletes and make teams/clubs unstainable, dont compete with the European season as you may then get some stars looking for a bit of a run during some time and home and that will help the league, and then finally attract sponsors on reasonable deals where they get some benefits (i.e. in to local basketball community) but are not promised and are not expecting national recognition. The men's league needs to do the same and stop trying to compete with the football codes or overseas basketball leagues.
If all of this happens the sport can survive in the Australian market at the level it should, if not it will die as it continues to overpay what is viable.

Reply #227713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754