Isaac
Years ago

Dragons vs Tigers, Game 1 - Mar 4

The Grand Final series between South and Melbourne tips off tonight. To be honest, I'm struggling to get interested, maybe just because the 36ers and Breakers aren't involved. Will check the boxscores in the morning (out tonight) but can't see myself overriding existing plans to try and catch the games on TV (don't have Fox).

Anyone really looking forward to it?

Who do you think will win this game, and who's your tip for overall winner?

Centrebet have the Tigers as narrow favourites:

MELBOURNE TIGERS   1.84 
SOUTH DRAGONS 1.96
They tip the Tigers to win 3-1:
Series Result  	 3-0  	 3-1  	 3-2
SOUTH DRAGONS 7.25 4.75 5.00
MELBOURNE TIGERS 6.50 4.25 4.50
However, the Dragons are $1.68 favourites to win the first game tonight.

Still have my bet at $9 for the Dragons to win it all. Should I sit on that, or bet up on the Tigers 'for free'?

Topic #19230 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I would put a couple of bets on the Tigers to win in 4 or 5 in your situation Isaac.

Reply #227734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Current plan is to wait and see what happens tonight. As long as the Tigers don't win easily, it shouldn't impact the odds too much.

Reply #227735 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I'm thinking the Dragons will win in 5 games including tonights game between 1-11.
I'm a bit the same, won't change plans to watch it live, but will still record it and watch it later, come on it is still the GF!

Reply #227737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to this series - Anstey v Wortho, Westover v Goorjian meet again. If it's anything like last year's grand final series, it will be a great one.

The Tigers are coming off an impressive semi final series against the Breakers while the Dragons didn't look too convincing against the Crocs.

I think the Tigers will win it but won't be surprised if the Dragons get game 1. If the Tigers get game 1 I have a feeling it will be a short series.

Reply #227738 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I am looking forward to the physical side of things. It will be interesting to see how it is refereed. I think the Tigers will win in 3 or 4. The Dragons will need to play much better than Crocs series to be any where near them.
I also think Ebi will have a big final series.

Reply #227745 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i think the tigers will win the series 3-1

if goorjian lets molloy coach as much as he has,
it might be 3-0.

would like to see the tigers get whipped,but it wont happen, particularly in a 5 game series.

Reply #227749 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The referee's for Game 1 are Aylen Hunt and Mildenhall.

Reply #227769 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Can't see the Tigers getting done in a 5 game series. I predict a 3-1 series win to Melbourne.

Reply #227773 | Report this post

woody venkat  
Years ago

are u kidding me did any of you see the dragons play the crocs??

There is no way tremell darden and CO will stop the Tigers.

Tigers to win in 3 at worst 4

Ebi Ere Grand Finals MVP

Reply #227777 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Woody....every team has it's bogey team and the Crocs had the better of the Dragons team this year.

The Dragons were still good enough to win the Semi - Final series over them.

Now ask yourself who the bogey team has been for the Tigers this year.

I'm NOT saying the Dragons WILL win it all..... but I sure wouldn't be writing them off because of the semi-final series.

Reply #227779 | Report this post

woody venkat  
Years ago

you do make a valid point there Dicko i can't argue with you, when the crocs lost Kelvin Robertson I knew they couldnt take out that series versus the Dragons, but the dragons looked undercooked and shot at a poor % during the Semis. Look at the size the tigers have compared to the crocs i Just dont see the Likes of Matty Burston and Nick Horvath stepping UP.

For all the crap Mika Vukona Brings on the offensive end.

He is the key for that team on the glass and at the def end

Reply #227798 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What a good game so far!

Reply #227811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wats wrong with horvath

Reply #227818 | Report this post

aaronbrucefan  
Years ago

wats score?

Reply #227835 | Report this post

Years ago

Mark Worthington looks like a young Derryn Hinch.

Reply #227842 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Dragons win as expected.

Donta Smith is a star.

Wortho is the best Amish player ever.

Ray Hunt is something that rhymes with his last name.

Refs were disgraceful for a GF!

Reply #227849 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Enjoyed the game in attendance and will get along to every game. As mentioned there are some great matchups and several players that could be the X factors....

I'm tipping the Dragons to take the series (even before last night).

Tigers starting 5 cant get it done, they bring on DT & Kendall or DT & Hoare and look (plus score) so much better/more.

Dragons have the ability of running small ball (which Goorj seems to love atm) or go big with Burston &/or Horvath.
Vukona should not have a license to shoot any shot except a layup, was almost looking like that was going to be the difference.

Tigers should get the one at home on Friday and Game 3 will be Huge in terms of who will win this series. Hopefuly Game 3, Sunday night (long weekend) @ Hisense we see 8,000 strong crowd.

Reply #227874 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

How many were at the game last night DJ? Was it a good GF atmosphere?

Reply #227878 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

I thought the atmosphere was great at Hisense last night. I cant remember how many there were (i think about 4200 which was disappointing) however there seemed to be about 50/50 dragons/tigers supporters and they were all very loud. When dragons went on their run in the final quarter the dragons fans were loud as (where I was sitting anyways.)

P.S. tigers fans are so feral, they truly are the collingwood fans of the nbl. The things some of them were yelling out with kids around was horrible.

Reply #227880 | Report this post

knox_team  
Years ago

great game to be at especially getting a win over the one club in Australian sport I really cant stand! The guys were sensational and the Dragons need to make sure they sign Donta for next season as a matter of priority.

Shame the crowd wasnt bigger but I really believe people cant afford to go to all 5 games. Adult ticket at Hisense is 35, and my ticket to the Cage for tomorrow night set me back 57. If the series goes to 5 thats a sh*t load of money for people to pay these days.

Reply #227889 | Report this post

Bradfan  
Years ago

I don't often post and I have no NBL team to follow any more but still love the game. Just thought I'd chip in - not much to do in Melb when it's raining. Took some non bball friends to game last night. Got free tickets from a friend who works in Dragons office - said they gave heaps away free trying to bolster the numbers.Feel bad for those who had to pay.

We were actually surrounded by unbelievably feral Dragons fans yelling out obscenities all night. We had to move with the kids as it was def R rated and we all had booze spilt on us! Kids were scared!

Refs appalling!!!Worst I've seen.

Dragons office buddy pointed out "Dicko" who they all think is hilarious and a real dead head. I felt sorry for him cos he seems to make some half decent posts and obviously loves the game.They wish he'd change teams! Funny.

Liked Wortho's game,thought Donta Smith was the difference, not too many other highlights.Wish I was a basketballer as I'd love to get my hands on one of the bulging brown paper bags that I'm told Cowan hands his players - makes McPeake look amateur!

That's about it. Still love the game - hope NSW gets a team up and running for next year.

Reply #227902 | Report this post

Carpenter  
Years ago

"if goorjian lets molloy coach as much as he has,
it might be 3-0."

Rubbish. Molloy is a fine tactician and a great coach - He is a disciple of the shuffle and does a great job teaching it and coaching it. If they continue to run as many UCLA cuts off the high pick as they did last night, the Tigers will not win.

Reply #227911 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Atmosphere was surprisingly good for only 4,200. I was hoping for 6,000 but considering it's game 1 of potentially 5 games in the same city and at the prices the tigers are charging (Game 2 &4 - alot of seats are $80!). Wed night probably didnt help either.

Game 2 whilst tickets are still available will surely have to be a sellout of just over 3,500 at the cage.

Game 3 BETTER get 8,000+ cause this is where things will get real serious for either team.

Back to Game 1.
Crowd numbers poor, traffic & parking terrible (Cold play concert on right next door at Rod Laver). With the new soccer stadium being built parking is extremely restricted around there now unless they open the MCG car park.

Dragons put on a good show, lights out intros (as per norm) the little fire show they do is always good, had someone perform pre game bit of a buzz around. They struggled to keep that going as everything stops and the place turns dead during the 10 minute warmups (the stadium is just not suited for bball and there are too many gaps in the corners - no seating) which followed all the action/pre game pump up stuff - bit of a shame...

Dragons do the terrible everyone stand and clap until the opposition scores, for once it actually got the crowd involved (They all got pumped by ebi missing a shot and than missing 2 FT's kinda amusing).

Game itself was pretty good had it not been for some Anstey (wanna be hero) stupidity in the last couple of minutes and the fact the Tigers severely lack a driving offensive go to guy we could have seen a much closer finish.

If the Tigers can get the next one at the Cage which they should this series and the crowds should take to the next level. If the Dragons get themselves in a potential sweep situation we will see a Goorjian snore fest as he grinds out game 3.

The Cage atmosphere Friday night will no doubt be better - full house in small arena, will only feed off itself. Hopefully game 3 can see a big crowd that will make Hisense half decent for bball.

Reply #227940 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Bradfan - Whats the point of the snipe at Dicko?
He's a passionate fan of the Magic, Titans, V-Giants, Dragons and is one of a very few remaining. Been in and around Basketball circles for along time, they may or may not like him but who cares?

Reply #227942 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Cheers DJ, let's hope for a Tigers win in Game 2 and a 5 game series.

Reply #227958 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

carpenter- molloy may be technically a good coach but he needs to stick to the training court not center court

Reply #227993 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754