billo
Years ago

Boti's article - inappropriate?

With the benefit of being over the other side of the world I am awake while the rest of you sleep. I am also privy to what the advertiser is printing through monitoring their website to get the scoops 4 hours before you. Which leads me to my question:

Was it really appropriate for Boti to divulge the details of what appeared to be a private email concerning the resignation of a BASA board member?

Article

I've not been in the country for a few years, but I follow things back home about as well as you can over here, and I've not really heard of either of these people (although obviously plenty of you will have), and as a basketball fan it doesn't really interest me what was said by whom about board happenings. And if a basketball fan isn't impressed by such a scoop I doubt the general public would have any interest whatsoever. I think publishing information like that does a lot more harm than good and I reckon Boti's done nothing for his reputaion by writing it.

I think on this occasion Boti has has own motives and is using (or is that abusing) his position as Adelaide's premier bball journalist to make Di Campbell look the villain (which she may well be, as I said I know nothing about the situation).

Thoughts?

Topic #1925 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree with some of your points there. I'd look at Boti's article (and I say this as a guess) as him putting pressure on someone in hoping to achieve a wider goal.

A lot is said about potential changes in the structure of SA basketball and it wasn't too long ago that the Presidents of the member clubs were looking to axe the board or whatever.

It might be something of more interest to those involved in local basketball than to fans of the 36ERS only -- who knows.

Should the same situation exist in football circles, I'm sure you'd see commentary on that in The Advertiser too.

Reply #21787 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Boti does it again, but it is the Media so what do we expect.
The question is how did the email get into the hands of the Advertiser? Someone must have sent the email through. The comment "I also emphasise that it is not due to the financial problems with BASA or uncertainties about its future," is not the best promotion of the sport.

Reply #21791 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unless it achieves something broader that IS in the best interests of the sport, right? Obviously Boti has an agenda and obviously (given that someone leaked the email) he has support.

Reply #21792 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Boti is primarily a bball fan as we all are and so his interest lie in making sure basketball in this state is given the opportunity to be enjoyed by as many people as possible.

If he has concerns on how the current BASA board is operating or care taking the game then he will take every opportuntity to influence as many people as possible through the news.

Reply #21798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the general basketball public really developed enough to be interested in this kind of politics or who is being cut from the Lightning. Most people out there would not give two hoots about BASA and many probably would not even have a clue what BASA is. All they care about is who is winning the games, who got the big dunks and what the players are up to. Boti needs to gain an understanding on where is market is at and write his articles accordingly.

This article along with the Lightning article the other day does not sell papers! It does not promote the game! 99.9% of people would not care what the BASA board room is up to or whether some 20 yr old is been cut from lightning. THese articles appear to be published because of a 2nd agenda. It has nothing to do with selling papers or promoting interest in the sport. BOTI should stop these antics!

Reply #21807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kent, you seem to be supporting Boti more and more these days. How close to him are you, if you are not one and the same?

Reply #21809 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know a few people would be excited at the prospect of Boti posting among us, but I can assure you that Kent Brockman is not Boti Nagy.

Some have questioned why Boti would write what he's written, and I think that Kent Brockman has given a succint response. Re-read his post and you'll see that it's more of an explanation than a supporting post. Just because you can understand why someone is doing something, it does not necessarily mean that you agree with them.

Reply #21810 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

No I am not the Moustached one.

What I am saying is that without Boti's carisma and passion there would be stuff all written about basketball on any level in this state.

The Tiser is the only regular media outlet for SA bball fans to get info.

I dont think people realise how lucky we are as to the level of paper coverage that Boti gets for basketball.

If you think that if Boti left the Tiser and was replaced by another journo w would get the same amount of space given to bball issues then you are wrong.

If you agree or disagree with Boti's style or agenda then fine but be thankfull that bball is getting print space at all.

If a board member was to walk off from the Crows or Power it would make the news. If there were massive financial problems at SANFL and mass disharmony amongst the board members it would make the news.

Why is bball different?

As to the lightning, would you want to know if Brad Hill or Jason Williams had been cut?

Reply #21811 | Report this post

baggy  
Years ago

As a parent, coach, very part time player and genuine lover of the game I can assure anonymous that I care what BASA are up to. So I think your comment is incorrect.
"Most people out there would not give two hoots about BASA and many probably would not even have a clue what BASA is".
I think this is further supported by the many people who post on here with BASA issues. They obviously have an interest.
There are many problems with our great game, Boti bringing some of the "behind the scenes" happenings only helps explain whay some of these issues are not being addressed.
I genuinely look forward to Boti's articles every week, given it is the only consistent basketball media we get. Some I agree with others not, but that's the way it works. What's the alternative ?? Listen to Steve Carfino rave about happenings on the east coast and forget everyone else exists ?

Reply #21816 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Football is support by a wider population then basketball and the football public love to hear gossip. Look at what the Carey incident brought to the media. No many people care about the un-rest at the BASA board.

I am not a big fan on how Boti writes his articles, but your right Kent, no Boti at the Tiser and you would find that basketball would sit somewhere between deaths and marriages.

Reply #21817 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do you think that football fans like gossip any more than basketball fans? I'd say not.

Reply #21821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone mentioned that the clubs were going to dump the board, well this did in fact happen at the annual meeting (i think it was) however due to the fact that there was no one else available for the positions it was decided that they would be given another term to shape up or ship out. The extra term also gave the clubs the oppurtunity to seek to find replacements for the current board.

The story also includes Di Campbell getting quite a bit of criticism at the meeting from the clubs.

Reply #21822 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

At a guess I'd say Boti was sent the email from one of the other board members. It was probably a deliberate leak by one of them to get the information out to the public.

Reply #21828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baggy,

Does Steve Carfino talk about the happenings of the VBA board????

It is discussed in this forum. There are over 1million people in Adelaide many of them potential basketball fans. If you want to know about BASA ask your club President. The Advertiser is not the place for this kind of article.

Reply #21832 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

People, fans and the ticket purchasing public have a right to know how our game is being run. We pay subs to BASA, the teams we barrack for are run by BASA. We, the basketball public, have a right to know what is going on behind the scenes of OUR game, Boti gives us this.

Reply #21833 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anonymous -- does Boti talk about BASA when interviewed on Fox?

If I had to choose between Boti and Carfino in our little basketball world, Steve would be out of here.

I don't have a club president. Who do I ask?

Reply #21834 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Anon do you come from a democracy?

How can you say that the media is not the place to discuss the goings on at BASA.

If BASA went belly up tomorrow taking the sixers with it by your suggestion this should not be reported in the media.

Do you think Clinton / Lewinsky wanted to be known to the media

Did OJ want to be filmed cruising in his Bronco?

If BASA was being run effectively the reports would be one of praise if it got a mention at all.

The problem is that the state of basketball is on the decline in this state.

There is a story to tell and therefore Boti tells it.

Reply #21835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most club presidents wont give info if asked anyway

Reply #21836 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

*sighs*

Well if Boti didn't report on it, would you guys have preferred to hear about it coming second or third hand in some post n this forum entitled "trouble at basa emery quits" or soemthing similar....then you would have all bitched about how Boti didn't write an article about it.

Reply #21838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one would have posted about emery quitting because no one really cares!! That is the point. He could justify an article like this if it was going to sell papers but it will not. It will not help the game. So what is Botis agenda? Is it an ego thing? Is it because he has an axe to grind?

Reply #21840 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

Anon,

you are not listening, people do care. Don't assume your stance on the matter is the same as mine. Kent is right basketball has some serious issues and the problems at BASA are significant.

Reply #21841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say BASA should close down it's operations and re-birth it's self as SAB Basketball South Australia to give it's self a new Image

Reply #21844 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #21856 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, for all you ignoramuses sake, I hope Boti quits, and we get someone like Grantley Bernard or Tim Morrisey assigned to basketball.

You will get a paragraph per quarter match report, and thats it.

Be thankful there is someone who is passionate about the sport, and has got his editors trust to give him some space.

Reply #21862 | Report this post

warrior  
Years ago

why do people criticise boti on every article he writes? it (the article) informed us of what was happening. i dont see the big deal -- but its not just this article that people have been critical of. i think its time for a lot of people to grow up and stop criticising the ONLY basketball journo that shows dedication, commitment and passion for not only his job, but for the sport too. give him a break.

Reply #21863 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Consider many of the topics discussed on this forum over the last 6-12 months. Issues such as:
ticket prices; half time entertainment; sound system; player availability etc etc

All of these issues are affected by the current situation BASA is in.

To say that the informed basketball fan doesn't give two hoots about BASA suggests that they also don't give two hoots about these other issues.
Clearly by the number of posts on these issues the informed fan IS interested in what is happening at BASA as it DIRECTLY impacts on the resolution of many of the other issues fans have raised.

Reply #21901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754