Ben Fitz
Years ago

Should Anstey be suspended?

Anyone watching the game think that Anstey should be suspended for that elbow on Carter? Disgusting play from the league's biggest cheap shot artist.

Vukona should be ok as all he did was wrap Anstey up after he decked Carter.

Will be interesting to see if Chuck is prepared to show some balls and suspend "elbows Anstey" for a game or 2 as it wont be the first time he has been looked at for this rubbish.

Topic #19266 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id very surprised if Anstey is suspended considering its a GF series. I know the circumstances of being a GF shouldnt come into it and all, but thats what will save him.

Id be a very embarassed man if i were him right now, clearly his game is on the decline this season and to be so blatant about a hit like that on a smaller player on live televison is a disgrace. Hope you cop a lot for this Chris Anstey, youev just justified my dislike for you over the years.

Reply #228175 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

If it was the regular season he would have gotten suspended but if he were to get suspended now it would ruin the finals series.

Tigers need some more Sean Lampley!

Reply #228176 | Report this post

spurs_suck  
Years ago

Yes
absolute disgrace
Biggest tosser in the NBL

Reply #228181 | Report this post

Dragons7  
Years ago

If the refs called it the first time there wouldnt have been a punch on. Even though I am a Dragon supporter I have to say there has been some really bad calls throughout the series especially on the tigers. You feel bad for them sometimes.

Anstey should not be suspended at all the the incident. Its the grand finals. Just let them play and stop calling BS calls..

Reply #228182 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

MASSIVE tosser. Does anyone else try to reach through their TV when they see 'THAT LOOK' after any score that he makes. Why is he looking over at his bench all of the time?

I just dont understand.

I want to see him play so the Dragons can beat them at full strength... they will use that excuse - TRUST ME

BUT - it deserves a suspension!

Reply #228183 | Report this post

aaronbrucefan  
Years ago

yeh anstey is the biggest wanker in the nbl. go the dragons. yeh melbourne will use anythin as an excuse

Reply #228187 | Report this post

Chickenboy  
Years ago

Al Westover just said, post match...

"I don't think Chris did anything...I think it should've been a tech foul on Rhys"

What a tool!

Anstey deserves to go...but I won't be surprised when he's let off.

Reply #228188 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Carter should have got called for the first push after he got hit on the screen. The same call should have been made on Gibson in the 1st quarter after he got hit from an Anstey screen. Calling both of these pushes from the guy who was hit from the screen would have prevented this rumble. Both of which happened in front of the same referee... I would have thought better from him due to his international success as I'm sure play like this would not be tolerated at the Olympics, and you would be sent home straight after that game.

Anstey should not be suspended. Vikona was tossed as he had no involvement in the scuffle, but got himself involved, as well as Herbert and Corletto should have been tossed also!!!

My 2 cents

Reply #228189 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

McPeake will give Chuck (or maybe the other way around) a BJ just to make sure that Anstey doesn't get suspended.

Reply #228190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the screen, Carter started the pushing. I don't think Anstey or Vukona should have been ejected. An unsportsmanlike on Anstey was warranted but he was responding to Carter's push/elbow to him -if the ref's had called the initial foul on carter, it wouldn't have got to that situation. Also, there's been no mention of Herbert coming in to the fight - he did more than Vukona.

Reply #228194 | Report this post

Andrew Nicholas  
Years ago

i can see chuck punching Mcpeake in the stomach and riding the first wave in right now. The three biggest losers in the worlds worst professional league - anstey, mcpeake and chuck - what a joke!
I hope the series goes to 5 games so more than 50 people get to see it at the litter tray (cage), would be a shame if the last ever nbl match was played at that shit hole.

Reply #228195 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I think if you look at Vukona's face during the scuffle it looked like he was pretty much telling Anstey he was going to murder him and his family to boot, or something to that effect. Id say that is why he was tossed as oppossed to everyone else.

Reply #228196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looked worse than it was......carter actually started it and being 6ft versus 7ft copped it in the head....everyone likes a bit of biffo....let him play.....fine him $500 and lets move on

Reply #228197 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Based on past performances like this (eg aiming for Davidson but collecting Maher) Anstey should be suspended. Granted that the call on Carter should have been made earlier and it wouldn't have happened, but Anstey did elbow him square in the back on the screen. It wasn't though and Anstey can't control his temper and often takes cheap shots, particularly at smaller players. He's an ass. Being a grand final series though, I'd be very surprised to see it happen. Geez, being the NBL I'd be very surprised to see it happen.

Reply #228198 | Report this post

The Admiral  
Years ago

That,s GAY by Anstey he should be chucked out of the leeagu for being s pussy ass BUASTTCH

Reply #228199 | Report this post

The Admiral  
Years ago

I homeastkle didn'e C wOT Hapned but I gpt a 4.5 ltr of johnnies for 110 clams and av really given it a resonable shake tnightso 4gve me if Im slangin shite1.

Benjsmin Lommanxx your a gunn Wednesady Night at MARSDEN so Keep Jackin your Ballsky shots especially when Hodgsky throws the ball at your HEAD.

Reply #228200 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I actually hate Anstey a lot less than most but that shit was Hinder-like.

His screen should have been a foul. He was both moving and leaning into Carter with his elbow.

The little bump Carter gave was absolutely nothing.

Anstey's elbow deserved a tech and an ejection, but maybe not a suspension.

Vukona should not have been ejected for his physical actions (not sure what he said though).

Gaze was loving it :P

If that Westover quote is true he's a complete dumbass.

As for the game, I knew Melbourne were overrated, I knew they'd pull a game like this sometime, lol, they were terrible.

Donta Smith is a superstar - that dunk on Hoare was MASSIVE!

Daniel Johnson was dudly.

Lol @ Admiral.

Reply #228202 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Hey im not the biggest Anstey fan,sure it looked like a cheap shot but Carter was trying to be the tough guy after he was fairly screened by Anstey.
The Dragons got a bit of their own medicine for once.
All series the Dragons have been holding and grabbing,making it a very boring grand final.
Id much rather see a free flowing game than the rubbish ive seen so far.

Reply #228205 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

For those who are saying that Anstey's screen was legit, can you please show me the difference between that screen and the one that Worthington got called on earlier?

Illegal screen which caused pain for Carter, which caused him to CHEST up to Anstey, to which Anstey responds with an attempted charging elbow to the head. At that point the ref calls unsportsmanlike, Vukona does the team thing and comes in and wraps Anstey (you never get your own guy in case they are going off and you get caught on the chin coming in!) and then its just hugs all round with a bit of swearing thrown in!

Anstey had to go, Vukona was unlucky but will happily accept the trade and Westover was already busy working the 'they send out a thug to provoke my superstar and when they both get ejected they win' angle. The only problem with that angle is that it is his 'superstar' who is the thug and Melbourne (most notably Anstey) are every bit as physical as the Dragons, just not as fit.

mt 4 cents worth.

Reply #228206 | Report this post

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

Yes that screen by Anstey should have been called. The screening is not allowed to move and make contact which it what Anstey. That is not to condone Carter's cheap shot and perhaps the officials overlooked that contact after no calling Anstey's illegal screen.

They certainly could not overlook Anstey's cheap shot on Carter. Anstey certainly deserved to be ejected.

Of course Wetover is going to defend his player, but if he was really honest he would agree that Anstey's hit on Carter was worthy of disqualification. Certainly if the boot was on the other foot, he would have wanted an opposition player ejected if Carter was on his team!!

Reply #228208 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

The fact that Westover said what he said is EXACTLY why the whole league hates the Tigers (except those with a finger up Mcpeake's ass)

Reply #228212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you head over to Perth I think you'll find people hate Homicide and the crocs more than Anstey. I've never seen such over the top celebrations for an eleimiation final. I guess when you haven't been that successful, you need to celebrate those ones hard!

Anyway, I think it comes down to the referees poorly handling the situation - they should have called the foul on anstey's screen which would have stopped Carter retaliating or they should have called the initial foul on Carter for his challenge.

Reply #228214 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Anstey got what he deserved all match and all series he has been flying his elbows about and not being called for it its a disgrace that that tossa gets away with it.

Reply #228217 | Report this post

Chickenboy  
Years ago

Neither Anstey's initial screen or Carter's bumping should come into consideration when they decide if Anstey gets suspended. The action in question is the hit he made on Carter and what followed (which is where Vukona should be vindicated but Nathan Herbert might be in trouble).

And the fact that it's a grand final series shouldn't be a consideration either (although I'm sure it will be).

Reply #228218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like tigers everywhere, they're almost extinct!

Reply #228219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Worthington's cheap shots?

Reply #228221 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

Anon - are u from perth or just assuming?

Reply #228225 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I hate Anstey, but I think it is a bit unfair to say he is the only one throwing cheap shots.

I have noticed numerous times Burston squaring up to the basket with elbows flying, not to mention Worthington throwing elbows, grabbing jersey etc.

In fact the way that the Dragons play in general is just dirty.

Should Anstey be suspended? Yes it was blatant albeit in reaction to something else.

Will Anstey be suspended? No Chuck Harmlessone will let it slide.

Will the last game ruin the series? Yes because of Anstey, Carter and Vukona's actions IMO the refs will be calling EVERY little thing and it will be who has the best free throw shooters.

Edit: One question I have is: If the shot was that bad why did Carter get straight back up and receive no medical attention?

Reply #228228 | Report this post

ben fitz  
Years ago

for those that did not see it here it is

Reply #228231 | Report this post

JOEL  
Years ago

yeah i think anstey should be suspended ,,
it doesnt matter if it is in the finals or not, carter did not do anything really when anstey elbow in the face he should definitly be suspended that is not how basketball is played,,,
i guess your not going to go a finals without a fight but just because Anstey had a sore knee and that could of made him mad, but you cant take it out on the opponent,,, he should get suspended with no special treatment because its the finals

Reply #228232 | Report this post

ben fitz  
Years ago

sorry wrong video, this is the one

Reply #228234 | Report this post

JOEL  
Years ago

But vukona did nothing so i dont know how he got kicked out,, i would not think he would get suspended if he does that is crapp,, but definitly anstey should be suspended

Reply #228236 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Regardless of Carter being injured or not if some punk did that to me, Id be straight up injury and all.

Nothing but a cheap Anstey punk shot as usual. Westover is also an idiot if he thinks he player did nothing wrong.

Chuck will never remove McPeake's nuts from his chin so this will go no where.

Reply #228244 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Cross out the Name and number..if anyone else did that, they would be out for one game definitly?

Seeya Chris..enjoy the week off.

Reply #228246 | Report this post

Andrew Nicholas  
Years ago

Is al westover from tasmania or what, his mum is definately his sister, same like all of the tigers fans. Did they do a clinic at a funny farm a few years ago and recruit members or what. come on anybody who has ever been to the kitty litter tray (cage) knows what im talking about. gonna wear a stab vest for game 4, and goggles coz they all spit.

Reply #228247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 4 seasons as head coach, Al has taken the team to every grand final series - that includes 2 wins over Goorjian coached teams. It's not over yet.

Reply #228250 | Report this post

Alamo  
Years ago

I dont think ansty elbowed carter, it was more of a hip and shoulder.
I thought Westover had the right point, it was a legal screen and carter went and gave a cheapy with no call. Refs should have pulled it up there and T'd Carter.
I didnt see Vokona do anything but grab, thrown out of a GF for grabbing??!! Thats every Div.3 mens comp in the nation weekly... usually only a T.
Did anyone else see Herbert throw a right hook? I thought thats what i saw, thoughts?

No suspensions warranted, BUT like the play offs, the referring is very sub-par.

Reply #228252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #228254 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Suspend Anstey for one game. By the way, Smith travelled on that dunk. Watch it again.

Reply #228255 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

The dragons are always dirty
Herbert and Vukona should be suspended.

Tigers need to bring back Sean Lampley

Reply #228256 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

If Anstey only ran thro Carter, it wouldn't be so bad, but the fact that he raised his arm as he ran thro him, gotta be suspended.

Reply #228259 | Report this post

Alamo  
Years ago

He raised the elbow AFTER the contact, it raised DUE to the contact. Watch it again closly

Reply #228260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only people to blame for all of this is the sub standard refereeing.

Illegal screens happen 10 times an offence in the NBL and the piss weak refs just watch them and allow them to happen.

The two teams in the NBL aren't the best teams, they're the most physical.

Get the refs to actually have some balls and make the calls that need to be made and the NBL might resemble basketball instead of basketbrawl.

And Smith travels every single time he touches the ball, but hey he's an import you can't call a travel on an import.

Refs = piss weak!

Reply #228261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #228262 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

tigers are bing little pussy cats.. why be so precious for?!?! anstey was clearly in the wrong and if he, or westover believes otherwise, they should be the face of kleenex tissues because they obviously need to cry. dragons aren't dirty, they are well-coached and actually play defence. so, maybe westover should work on coaching rather than making stupid post-game comments, eg: "He didn't do anything. The league has to decide - do you want our big men to stay and play in this country or do you want to screw them and want them to leave?". WHAT KIND OF COMMENT IS THIS?!?! let's hold the league to ransom for a retarded action by a arrogant player in anstey? the reason why players leave is for 2 reasons, money and development. players take pay cuts to play for coaches like goorjian. so westover, should just man up and let the tribunal and NBL make their own decision. besides, westover has been lucky ever since he was head coach as he had one of the best teams every single season on paper. and with that level of talent, a non-semi berth is a disgrace. i am a kings fan, so i'm glad to see goorjian and the dragons doing so well because they play the game the way it should be played, ie: hard and strategic. unlike those punk melbourne "pussy cats".

Reply #228265 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"By the way, Smith travelled on that dunk. Watch it again."

I watched it a few times and I don't think he did, the one where he used a spin move to get around two for the layup was definitely a travel though.

Reply #228270 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Looks like the incident has actually been referred to the tribunal according to the NBL site, so we'll see how they handle it this time. I'll be shocked if it's anything more than a formality on past results.

Also Westover's comment that "The league has to decide - do you want our big men to stay and play in this country or do you want to screw them and want them to leave?" I think does have merit when applied to someone like Schensch, who came here for 1 season in between looking at other leagues and just got screwed all year. However Anstey owns the refs and gets away with whatever he likes, so I don't see why he would leave a situation like this where he seems to have all the control.

Reply #228271 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

Alamo, did Anstey speed up right before he ran into Carter? He did, and he lifted his elbow, so he's got to go.

Reply #228287 | Report this post

Chardy  
Years ago

Anstey is a tool. Always has been and won't change. For a bloke that has alot of ability his behaviour and body language is that of a immature man who expects everything to be done for him to succeed. When everything is not going for him he retreats to sniper tactics he has did in game 1 and got away with murder in game 2 at the start of game 2.

As for the brawl. Anstey should have been pinged for illegal screen. ref should have stepped in and stopped the game when carter bumped him at half court. Anstey should be suspended for the game as his next response was dangerous and could have caused injury. Rule usually is instigator gets turfed and the first in. So vukona going wasnt a surprised.

If anstey does play in game 4 the dragons would be crazy not to try upset him again and use vukona to do it again. Get under his skin aka dennis rodman style.

As for the clown the bagged the game last night and series. That was basketball at its best. Defence pressure and the good players hit tough shots or scores made from good team offence. It had dunks from good offence just because a team is accountable at both ends of the floor doesn't mean it was boring. Not to many nba final games the score reaches a 100.

Tigers problem is they don't have a decent point guard. There best point guard is the assistant coach.

enough said

Reply #228294 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

If you watch it a few times Anstey sets the first screen (legal), then bumps Carter as he's running (good physical stuff), but then gets agro and changes direction looking straight at him and goes through him.

If you think about this like the AFL tribunal would, there is no way he is doing anything but hitting Carter. The ball is not in the vicinity, he is not in a position like he is setting a screen. The fact that you can pretty much determine intent from the video SHOULD mean that he gets rubbed out. If the leaders of Basketball in our country want to send the right messages they will make an example of him. Anything else is just disappointing.

By the way I was going to post something like 'He's just doing the Robert Horry, anything to win' to ramp some people up. That was before seeing the clip. Now I'm just angry!

Reply #228307 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Carter is a little Shmuck

Anstey should get a medal for hitting him

Reply #228311 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Let me start by saying that donta smith dunk was awesome.

To the Tigers fans that argue the Dragons are dirty, so what? That's not an excuse for Anstey's actions. It was a cheap, dirty shot by the quintessential cheap, dirty player. He has to go.

Having said that, a tribunal hearing obviously means a slap on the wrist for anstey yet again, and nothing more.

I really hope Vukona runs thru Anstey on wed night. That would make this a season to remember. :P

Reply #228316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes

Reply #228319 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

Anstey is a dirty dirty player. Anyone who is saying that the screen was legal hasn't taken a close look at the video footage.... Really piss poor refs let it get out of hand, as they should have called the initial screen, or at least Carters retaliation.

Anstey should definitely get suspended, but having said that, I hope he isn't, would be great to see some payback Wednesday night.

Reply #228320 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

Tigers have always been a dirty team. Dragons have Wortho and Gibson who are dirty, but tigers have crosswell, greer, thomas, Hoare (sometimes), Corletto and Anstey (dirtiest player in the league.) By my count tigers are way dirtier. Sunday nights match was the first time I have seen the tigers pulled up for a lot of the dirty crap they pull and as you all saw they didnt like it.

Also, Westover is an absolute douche for his comments at the postgame conference. "Anstey didnt do anything", "I think Carter should have been tequed", and that crap about the big guys playing overseas if not treated right. So you want them to be able to do anything they like and its all good???? That guy is the biggest to**er ever.

Reply #228337 | Report this post

It does happen  
Years ago

Well its not the 1st time in Anstey's career or even this season that he has thrown himself or his elbows around. He will never learn.

GF or not, if it is suspendable, suspend him.

My $20 on the Dragons at $9.00 before the season is looking mighty fine thank you very much.

Suspend the fool! (say in your best Mr T voice)

Reply #228345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm interested in your thoughts on why Crosswell, Greer, Thomas, Hoare and Corletto are dirty. I don't think those players are dirty - I've never seen those players do anything dirty, particularly Thomas or Hoare.

Reply #228360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

massive rumble tomorrow for sure

Reply #228443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754