Isaac
Years ago

Westover fined $1,000 for criticism of refs

The National Basketball League has issued a $1,000 fine to Melbourne Tigers head coach Alan Westover for his comments regarding the referees following his team's 84-67 loss to the South Dragons in Game Three of the NBL Grand Final series on Sunday night.

Westover was fined $1,000 for comments he made about the officiating at the post-match media conference which breached the NBL's rules with regard to Public Criticism.

NBL Rules state that "no NBL Club, executive officer, official, employee, coach, referee, player, or team shall offer public criticism of game referees except through proper channels of the NBL Office, Referees Manager or Referee Supervisors".

Topic #19272 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Money well spent?
By copping a fine at such a crucial point in the final series, will his point be made on the refs, or will they now have it out for him?

The mind games are well underway

Reply #228342 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

They SHOULD have fined him MUCH more for making comments in the papers about the Carter/Anstey incident whilst it was being investigated.

To blame Carter in the papers was disgraceful. And then he says some crap about Anstey would go overseas if not treated "fairly".

Pffft!!!!

Reply #228343 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dicko - I agree. The "keep Anstey happy or he'll take his ball and run away" quote was petulant tripe.

Reply #228344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This astounds me.

Try watching Game 3 but just watch Anstey. He gets bumped, grabbed mugged the whole time he's on the floor.

And Goorj gets away with it because he plays the refs like no one ever has.

I'm surprised Ansety took as long as he did to say enough is enough!

Reply #228347 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Piss him off

Reply #228348 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

are you serious anon?
Anstey plays like a bitch and winges like a bitch. He has hit that many players using the i am a clumsy 7 footer "Reesy defence" that i have lost count.
To admit that he he hit Brett Maher by mistake as he was trying to hit Davidson should have warranted a what the from the NBL. When he threw the ball directly into Paul Rees' face on an inbounds and nothing happened NBL should have stepped in.

There are a lot more incidents like this and i sure if a thought about it i would come up with them.
If he wants to make more money overseas then no one is stopping him. Take your 400k per annum salary and go. Westover would be the biggest loser if that happened not the league.

Reply #228354 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Funny that Westover got fined and Worthington's comments at the started of the series were deemed ok. A little consistency would be good.........

Reply #228357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am serious.

And I would expect Luke to end up playing the same way if he sticks around the NBL, which I doubt he will.

Big men get crucified in the NBL by the NBL referees. Anytime there's a size mismatch the smaller guy can do anything he wants. In the case of Anstey and Schench that means getting beaten up every game.

It's not one-sided, I thought Burston got a very raw deal in Game 2. Although I think that has to do with Burston as a player and the lack of respect referees show him rather than him being a big man.

Vukona is easily the dirtiest player in the NBL. Followed by Boucher, Gibson, Worthington and Redhage.

Reply #228363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing Quasi - there seems to be a lot of criticism against the Tigers here although there was no mention of Worthington's comments prior to the series.

Goorjian coached teams are known for their physicality and constantly bump and hold players - it's his style. Also, it was interesting in game 3 where Goorjian called a timout in the first couple of minutes of the game - he told his players he was just planting a seed in the referees heads. I'm not criticising him for those tactics, but I could imagine what would happen if the other camp said that - there'd be posts dedicated to it.

Reply #228364 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worthington copped a fine. His comments were made at a launch lunch rather than at a post-match media thing included in write-ups the following day.

Reply #228385 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Westover..... pfftttttt

Just another McPeake a$$ puppet..

Reply #228391 | Report this post

Chickenboy  
Years ago

Now the Tigers are refusing to pay and seeking legal advice about challenging the ruling.

The whole organisation seriously has the attitude and culture of sooky little children. They don't take any responsibility for anything.
"ooh Chris didn't hit anyone and if he did then it was because the other kid started it and I didn't even say anything about the refs and wah wah waaaa!".

Reply #228403 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

anon i dont disagree that the bigs get no love but to react the way that Anstey does is what is being questioned. To elbow people and cheap shot them the way he does just amazes me. At one stage during game 3 Ingles got a lay up on him and Anstey "accidently" elbowed Joe in the head as Joe was trying to get back in court. Face it Anstey is a bitch and plays like it.The screen on Carter was malicious as he swung his elbow into him as he made contact which is what Carter reacted to. And calling Vukona the dirtiest player in the league shows that you have no understanding of the game. Is he dirty because he wrapped up Anstey when he landed in his space after he just watched him try and decapitate his team mate?

Reply #228407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At one stage during game 3 Ingles got a lay up on him and Anstey "accidently" elbowed Joe in the head as Joe was trying to get back in court. "

Your opinion. What I saw was Ingles made a bucket turned blind and ran back in a straight line, hitting the side of Anstey on his way. Considering Inglis is built like a toothpic of course he came off second best, doesn't mean Anstey did anything wrong.

"The screen on Carter was malicious as he swung his elbow into him as he made contact which is what Carter reacted to."

Again your opinion. I see 100+ screens no worse then that in a NBL game. Big guy on a guard looks worse then it is. Anstey made sure he hit him, that's the whole purpose of a screen. I know enough about basketball to know that!

"Is he dirty because he wrapped up Anstey when he landed in his space after he just watched him try and decapitate his team mate?"

My opinion of Vukona has nothing to do with that. He grabs, pushes, elbows his man constantly I can't believe anyone would defend Vukona's style of defence and rebounding.

On that incident, did you happen to see the look on Vukona's face? He wanted to do more then hold Anstey back or get in his face. In my opinion Anstey would have left the game on a stretcher if Vukona wasn't held back by team-mates.

Reply #228414 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Correct Vukona would have killed Anstey if he was not held back. Anstey is a bitch and Vukona would have treated him like he deserves to be treated.

Ingles does not run in a straight line Anstey initiates the contact and hits him as he is trying to comeback into court by swinging his elbows at him and then hitting him side on.

That screen was legal until Anstey swung his elbows into Carters back once contact had been made. If you cant see that from the replay then the saying never argue with an idiot applies here.

Reply #228426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO your opinion of Anstey is clouding your judgement.

I don't dislike either team or any of the players involved.

Just watched the replay of the Ingles basket and I stand by what I said. I do not believe Anstey is any more or less to blame for the contact than Ingles.

"That screen was legal until Anstey swung his elbows into Carters back once contact had been made. If you cant see that from the replay then the saying never argue with an idiot applies here."

I never suggested the Anstey screen was legal. I'm saying that it happens all game every game in the NBL.

If you watch Aylen in the background you'll see him give the contact a thumbs up. That is what started the incident, a failure of the best referee in this country to make a simple call.

If Luke had done everything Anstey did would you be suggesting he get suspended or arguing that Luke simply snapped after being beaten up for too long.

Goorj and the style Goorj teams are allowed to play are killing the game in this country. People don't enjoy watching it, and don't!

It isn't successful outside of this country because international referees simply don't allow it. Goorj and the style of 'defence' and games he actively plays with the referees of this country (as was picked up on the Fox coverage) are IMO a disgrace and he's who should be wearing some of the blame for what ended up happening.

Reply #228430 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i dont mind what anstey did,when you are getting belted and you need the game to change some how,start a scrap.
i have to admit, like most of us, it is an angle i have used myself.
he just raised his elbows to high !!

get over it !!

Reply #228444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vukona isn't a dirty player - just scraps hard.

Reply #228447 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754