thedoctor
Years ago

NBA - Old School v New School

Old school = late 80's early 90's

New School is 2000 onwards

What style of play is better, in fantasy match ups, who would win.

Which players do you like more?

This discussion can be extended to include basketball in general, compared across those times.

Topic #1928 | Report this topic

Kurt Rambis  
Years ago

Old school Pistons, Lakers, Celtics and Sixers matchups by far the best. Then throw in the Bulls in the late 80's, early 90's and what more could you want.

Reply #21928 | Report this post

Maverick  
Years ago

Old School baby.
Give me a tight leather jacket and some big arse blowfly sunnies any day!

Reply #21929 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'm with old-school. Love tough defense, marquee match ups and the days where players played their whole career with one team.

Reply #21933 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Gotta be old school. Bird-Jordan shootout's. Detroit - Jordan war's. Magic - Bird duel's. Lakers showtime, Bull's ripping through everyone. Final four was even shown then (bit off topic i know).
There is just no rivalry or tradition in today's NBA.

Reply #21935 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

What about old school Sixers v New School Sixers?

Reply #21936 | Report this post

Coach K,

Dont forget the Chuck Person V Larry Bird duel.

Reply #21937 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Love Chuck. Anyone who bashes themself while screaming 'I'm the man!' I want a Chuck Person jersey...

Reply #21938 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Can't beleive I left that out.
What about Bulls vs Cav's / Knicks in the playoffs, and the so called Jordan stoppers (Gerald Wilkins and John Starks / Wayne McDaniel)

Reply #21945 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

PG Johnson
SG Jordan
SF Bird
PF Malone
C Ewing

Bench
Barkley, Robinson, Pippen, Thomas, Stockton, Olajuwan and Drexler. Coached by Phil Jackson.

Old school would wipe the floor with New school.

Reply #21946 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Xavier McDaniel - "Get tough X, get tough X! Don't let him push ya!'

Reply #21947 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

How about run TMC in the early 90's for Golden State

Reply #21948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jimmy, that is almost the complete original (only) Dream Team. I think Laettner (token college player) and Mullin are the only guys missing

Reply #21949 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Got the full game when Jordan hits the foul line jump shot on Ehlo.

Great game. Only time I've seen Ehlo other than being dunked/scored on by Jordan.

Ehlo drops 35 and hits four massive shots in the last 90 secs including 2 threes and a huge runner.

Mark Price also has a massive game

Reply #21950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New School

PG Kidd
SG Bryant
SF Garnett
PF Duncan
C Shaq Daddy

Bench
LeBron, McGrady, Iverson, Amare, Dirk, Nash, Jermaine O'Neal, Yao

Coached by Greg Poppovich

Reply #21951 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

yeah, i realised that as i was typin it up, u had to sub out hakeem and issiah and that was the dream team.

Reply #21953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait another five years when Lebron get even better and i reckon it will be a close game...

Reply #21954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old School Team:
Basketball Ability 10/10
Athletic Ability 8/10
Basketball Brains 10/10

New School Team:
Basketball Ability 8/10
Athletic Ability 10/10
Basketball Brains 4/10

Reply #21955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

himmy that team is pretty much the 1192 dream team adding isiah taking laettener away, add jackson as a coach

Reply #21956 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The old school team still get 10/10 for athletic ability, bar Bird and Stockton.

Nash, Yao, Kidd and Shaq are hardly recognised for athletic ability

Reply #21957 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Compare best players at every position. I would go with old school every time.

Magic over Kidd for tall PG's
Stockton over Nash
Jordan over Kobe/LeBron - no arguments
Pippen over Garnett - close! Pip wins on D and team success, and that dunk on Charles Smith
Malone over whoever (Duncan has played mostly Centre)
Ewing/Robinson/Olajuwon over Shaq - more complete game. I don't like Shaq's game, but respect its dominance

Reply #21958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Rex I loved watching Run TMC. Shame they didn't stay together for another couple of years.

Reply #21959 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

How many games did the Dream Team lose? How many games have Team USA Lost?

There is the answer to which school was / is better.

Reply #21961 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

bit harsh on shaq...he is the most dominant big man for some tiem...i would take him over olujawon, ewing or any one else from that era....and duncan against malone....i would probably take duncan.....as for the 1,2, and 3 spots.....hell, i'd take the old school any day of the week....imagine having johnson, jordan and bird...all in their prime as your 3 small men....unbelievable...

Reply #21962 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Isn't life funny when you start calling 3 guys who are 6'9", 6'6" and 6'9"/6'10" (depending which you believe) your "small" men. :P

But yes, that's an awesome trio right there.

Reply #21963 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Old school was all about succeeding in the GAME of basketball with your TEAM

New school seems to be all about succeeding in the BUSINESS of basketball and making yourself look good so you can get the biggest contracts.

Pity as watching a great team (Lakers in the 80's) is so much better than just watching a superstar (76ers with Iverson or Lakers with Kobe) try and do it all on his own

Reply #21969 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Rifleman was the ultimate..... I still remember the shoot outs that he and Bird had..... almost brings a tear to my eye remembering Chuck screaming down the court punching his forehead and screaming "I'm the man".....

Another tear jerker...... Bulls vs Lakers (1st championship I think) and Jordon drives down the middle with Magic and Worthy (I think), he elevates with the ball in the right and looks like he's gonna stuff it, gets a knock and then switches it to the left for a scoop layup, drawing the foul.....

Anyone remember the so-called 'Jordan Rules' that the Bad Boys use to run....

Old School baby!!!!.........

Reply #21983 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I was just reading on ESPN, one of the greatest clutch shooters of all time is about to retire.... Reggie Miller...

I guess he's a bit of both worlds, but I'll always remember that game against the Knicks where he and Spike Lee had that tauting match, Reggie giving the 'chocker' sign and those believeable 8.9 seconds in the MSG.........

Reply #21986 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

There will never be another 'showtime'. Don't forget guys like Kareem, Clyde the Glyde, The Human Highlight Film, Chocolate Thunder. I still call 1994 Penny 'old school', KJ, Starks, old school Reggie. Moses Malone.

Growing up ni the late 80s early 90s was NBA gold.

Reply #21995 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jordan dropping 55 on the Knicks at MSG wearing #45.

They double team him on the game-winner and he dumps off to...........BILL WENNINGTON!!! who slams it home for the win.

The difference between Jordan and Kobe? Kobe would never pass in that situation. That's what makes Jordan the Greatest.

Reply #22016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

80's all the way. The greatest era of basketball. Im not a huge fan off the 90's, i think Magic Johnson retiring signalled the end of the greatest era in bball history.

Reply #22032 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think that era extended until Jordan retired the second time. Its been all downhill from there.

Some faith has been restored by players like Duncan, Ginobili and Wade. They are the exception, not the rule unfortunately

Reply #22290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember old school phoenix with KJ and Dan Majerle then Barkley for a while. That Suns-Bulls finals series was one of the best series ever. John Paxson baby!

Reply #22291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I remember Horace Grant's block on KJ to win one game in that series

Reply #22292 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

That was to win the Championship.

Recent DVD release titled '100 Greatest Plays' put that block in the top 10 of all time.

It was a very makeable shot for KJ, and is often overshadowed by one of the greatest game-winners of all-time - John Paxson's shot.

Even better was Phil Jackson's coaching. Who would have thought with Michael Jordan on the floor you would go to a role player to take the Championship winning shot. Genius!

Reply #22293 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Relive some old favourites...

http://www.nba.com/allstar2005/alltime_dunks_89-95.html

Reply #23123 | Report this post

Pistol Knight  
Years ago

I have on tape game 7 in the Garden, Boston Vs Atlanta, Larry Vs Nique' where Laaaaary guarantees the win. "they might as well not even show up".

Boston are down by 10 going into the last quarter and Larry goes for 19 in the last to win it. Nique goes for 45! The last quarter is Larry and Nique just going for it but Larry was unbelievable, the shots he was taking & making, running jumpers, left hand hooks in traffic....awesome.

and NO you can't have it!!

Reply #23131 | Report this post

john boy  
Years ago

old school would kick so much butt. the players were all around and they were there to play to win. now days it doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as you get payed. The new age players can kiss my @$$ and go F*** themselve those stupid N*****.

Reply #38384 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Old school for me. They have more intelligence and better basketball brains. I think this will defeat athletism at the end of the day which is what the new era contains.

Another reason why I love the old school. The defence and harder fouls. Most of those now are flagrants.

I love the 80's era, of Lakers, Celtics, Pistons and 76ers. No need to say more considering the players in all these teams.

Like the Jordan era of the Bulls despite them breaking my heart many times.

Very in love with the old Knicks. Ewing, Starks, Oaks, Mason, Doc etc. I loved the hard nosed physical play. I miss it.

Reply #167046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754