Isaac
Years ago

Ingles plans for NBA or Europe

Just read an article in the Herald Sun:

Touted as a possible second-round selection in the June NBA draft and scouted by several teams, Ingles will soon head to the US for off-season workouts and evaluation, hoping to attract the attention of clubs.

If the NBA draft or a training camp invitation does not eventuate for Ingles, he will turn his attention to Europe, where he will have the advantage of being able to play as a local by virtue of a British passport.

Only if a good European deal fails to materialise will Ingles then possibly return to the NBL and the Dragons, who are still celebrating their first championship after beating the Melbourne Tigers, 102-81, in the fifth and deciding game of the grand final series on Friday night.
Full article

That Euro passport should be very valuable for him!

Topic #19331 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

He has dropped of the radar on most of the NBA mock drafts over recent months.

Will be interesting to see how he does in some of the workouts over the next few months leading up to the draft. He will be going up against bigger bodies...

I honestly believe he is more suited to the European game and should thrive over there and come back and be a real asset to the Boomers in international competition over the next 4-8 years.

Reply #228980 | Report this post

qwe  
Years ago

From Draft Express

February 6, 2009
Perhaps the most disappointing player among those with realistic draft chances from the automatically eligible class of 1987, Joe Ingles hasn't progressed as expected this season, not exploiting his intriguing physical and athletic characteristics. Indeed he has regressed in most statistical categories from last year, even from two seasons ago in some of them, which is not a good sign for a player of his age.

The most frustrating part of his game, and likely the biggest reason why he's not emerging particularly efficient on the offensive end, is that he looks pretty soft when it comes to scoring. Despite his quickness and decent ball-handling skills (still strictly with his left hand), Ingles rarely goes all the way to the rim when attacking the basket, struggling to finish with contact and tending to prefer looking for space to release the ball, which leads to unbalanced shots and usual misses. It's true that he doesn't enjoy great strength or leaping ability, but it's still a waste of his size. Instead he likes to settle for jumpers, but his shot is looking highly inconsistent, enjoying poor accuracy and not enough balance on his release. 55% of his field goal attempts come from beyond the arc this season, compared with just 40% last season, and he's making just 36% of those, compared with 38% last year. His free throw attempts are also down, from 3.9 per game last season to 3.

Reply #228982 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Might aswell probably no New NBL in 2009

Reply #228985 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

We spoke to him about an hour or 2 ago for this week's OT podcast and asked about NBA and Europe as well as the possibility of returning to the NBL...

'The NBL is well and truly on the backburner for me'

check out the whole interview tomorrow afternoon... it was only a quick one because they were starting mad monday with a team meal.

Reply #228988 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

When I saw him last, sleep was well and truly on the backburner for him too. :-)

Reply #228990 | Report this post

Dazza  
Years ago

He will well and truely be playing in Europe next season, why wouldn't he. Will probably make at least 3 times as much as what he does here and gives teams to play him as a "local".
I think Gorj's style would have probably hurt Joe a little and plus the influx of new players. He started the season of really well but ended up fading away towards the end of the season.

Reply #228997 | Report this post

Dream Machine  
Years ago

Yeah everytime ive seen him, is acting like a stupid drunk... as we all do, but never seen an NBL player have me roll my eyes at his antics such as joey boy. Will be interesting to see how much of his partying a euro team will put up with.... NBA is surely a pipe dream at this point for him!

Reply #229002 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i hope the teams in europe dont get as pissed off as most aussies do with that dumb arsed smirk!!

europe with a passport maybe.....forget the nba!

Reply #229004 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

No chance at the NBA. Not worth using a 2nd rounder on. Europe... maybe...

Reply #229005 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

he's off to Europe...one of the "quality" player I refered to awhile ago that's looking to leave

Reply #229010 | Report this post

Iluv2ball  
Years ago

I heard a long time ago he was carrying a groin injury like osteoarthritis pubis (hope spelling is ok) that was from a very good source. It would explain why he was dropping off as the season went on.

Reply #229015 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

If Newley won't make the NBA, Ingles definitely won't IMO

Reply #229016 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

That draft express summary seems a little unfair doesn't it? His numbers may have dropped but they've completely overlooked the fact he's been on a championship team this season and on a bomb shelter team last season, of course you're going to get better numbers if you're the focus of the offense rather than just a cog in it.

Reply #229020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect he's not gelled with Goorjian that well, but might be wrong - just a suspicion.

Reply #229024 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I'm with Corey, if brad newly didn't make it how is Ingles? Newley is twice the player.

Reply #229042 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

NBA? Haha, no chance! He's regressed every year that he's been in the NBL.

Is he Europe-passport-eligible? Cos I can't see many european teams giving him an import spot - he's too erratic and inconsistent.

My moneys on a last min return to the NewBL after he washes out of europe

Reply #229117 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I agree with the DraftExpress article. They probably should have mentioned he was on the best team in the league but other than that they were spot on.

Reply #229124 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754