bluey
Years ago

Port Powder Struggles to Stay Afloat

NoLinky AdelaideNow

AnotherNoLinky Fairfax Article

I lol'd when I read the story.

Could we see the Tasmanian Power sooner rather than later, let me know if you need me to help pack ;)

Interesting that the name of the company supposedly linked to the lack of money expected by the club is also rumoured to be trying to get out of another sport they are heavily involved in. Perhaps their big shiny new golden palace has been built at the wrong time in this economy - was a good decision when it was first slated to be built just has taken a long time to complete and they still seem to be finishing it.

Topic #19339 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

damn i hate when linky doesnt work and i try html links

NoLinky AdelaideNow article

Reply #229063 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

History in the making?

Reply #229065 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Just get Chocco a balaclava and tell him to go rob a few Liquorland or Kmart stores.

Reply #229066 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

"Just get Chocco a balaclava and tell him to go rob a few Liquorland or Kmart stores."

Then write their names on the gurnseys with a black texta, Forced Sponsorship

Reply #229069 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Its hard to make money when you are not breaking even at home games.

Reply #229071 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Good onya crows fans, whilst you quietly sip your chardonnay and smile at the struggles that a real football club face, remember that, in time your fan base will drop.

Lets face it...80% of your supporters are grey haired old ladies who will soon shuffle off to a better place.

when that happens, you wont have a tradition and supporter base to fall back on.

The power will survive, and, as the last team in South Australia to win an AFL flag Adelaide needs Port to survive.

We've got the power to win.

Reply #229078 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Ok in all seriousness now, this is terrible news for a rebuilding team. But i think we will see a good profit come into the club this season with the improving list. The play of youngsters such as Wade Tompson, Stevey Salopek, D-Pearce etc has been really pleasing in the past few weeks so im looking forward to a much improved year :D Especially with Tredders 100% fit and without the burden of the captaincy this year our forward line is going to be great, (going off of last years stats of being the most efficiant team inside 50) i think if the midfield can consistently produce we will be ok.

Reply #229080 | Report this post

Harry  
Years ago

'ME' u (Mod: Language!) 80% of Crows supporters arent elderly women.

Port will fold because all your supporters are pov people who wont be able to afford season tickets, thus making a net loss once again.

Reply #229085 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

You've only got yourselves to blame you fickle Port supporters.

Go to the freakin games!

Reply #229092 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Dear Harry,
When I progress in life far enough up the corporate ladder to be a wealthy man like you and maybe buy a house at Golden Grove!!! like you terrible wealthy crow supporters I will know I have made it. The greatest joke in SA is the perception that crow supporters are the wealthy class of supporter. Open your eyes at the next game and you will see an equal amount of toothless idiots at your crows game. Come up withh something original Jerk.

Reply #229095 | Report this post

Harry  
Years ago

yea i agree there will prob be the same amount of toothless people at a Crows game.

But it will be a smaller percentage of people considering there is about 40000 fans at a Crows game, compared to 10000 at a Port game. Nice payout idiot.

Reply #229100 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

I seriously challenge every crows supporter to go to games when they are struggling (and dont say you never will it happens to everyone-look at your season after the second GF win 13th from memory)

Thanks for calling me fickle X i guess i should flush my season tix down the toilet to make you happy oh an thanks for calling me pov harry you twat! You know nothing about "all" port supporters so shut up an look around you at any AFL game you go to their are always bogans and at least they go to the games, isnt that what you dis port for? a lack of supporters? well at least the toothless fuckers are tryin to keep this great club alive. so shut the fuck up!

Reply #229102 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

40000 Crow Supporters at a game. No average crowd since inception is 34559.
10000 Port Supporters at a game. No average crowd since inception is 28765.
www.footywire.com

Reply #229106 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Aaaah, the old hatred of Port Adelaide comes out again. Folks, it's like this. There's 9 (10 if you count Woodville and West Torrens as separate) clubs in South Australia. My team, Port Adelaide, is in the AFL. I couldn't give two hoots if they need AFL assistance for a while, or regardless of what other business models are required to firm up the club. Let me repeat it again. We're in the AFL. The rest is, as they say, history. Live the creed.

Reply #229112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port should move to Adelaide Oval (with that government funding), it's central, attracts more supporters, they can sellout 30,000 each game and make a profit. Despite being in debt and a second team to the Crows fanbase wise, Port has more support then most other clubs in the league anyway.

It seems the logical solution for now, and as a Crows supporter, WE NEED A NEW WORLD CLASS STADIUM IN THE CITY. If Rann had any competentence these days he would have plans written up by now.

Btw, about the history stuff, Crows are built on the SANFL's history which includes Port Adelaide's so forget the "we have more history then you" crap.

Reply #229128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port Power, what a great experiment that was! This it what happens when you let the inmates run the asylum.

Reply #229133 | Report this post

PortPowerless  
Years ago

Let me see, so your creed is 'history in the making'?
OK
Crows, first AFL premiership for SA. (HISTORY)
Crows second AFL premiership for SA. (HISTORY)
Port Adelaide THIRD premiership for SA. (History)
Port Adelaide fourth Grand Final for SA. (Yeah that's HISTORY alright)

Yes Port Adelaide, you're certainly the greatest club of all time. You've bullied your way through the SANFL for years, you shafted the Crows creation by allowing the AFL to screw the Crows entry conditions, you create such memorable history like your most recent Grand Final. You historically are the team of uncompromising ruthless Magpies........ oh that's right, they wouldn't let you take that identity in with you, so there's more history eh?
The problem with Port Adel, is they have always enjoyed rubbing everyone else against the grain. But when they got into the AFL they werent able to utilise their bully tactics, because the Vics basically couldn't give a toss about how many premierships you won in SA. And even now they dont give a shit about how poorly you are performing financially, they expect the SANFL to bail you out.
Basically, you've always wanted to go it alone,and ram it down everyone's throat that you are the greatest club, so go on, be the greatest losers, and be the greatest financial failures, and shove your history where the sun dont shine.
Oh and by the way, for Mr. Facts.... when you quote stats, you really should see the truth. The first few years, your supporters were all enthusiastic, and they thought that Port Adelaide was going to dominate the AFL, so they went to the games. What really counts is the crowds after you won the premiership, and when the team started going downhill. Oh yeah, and then there was that thing about Choco not trying to win games, so that was the reason you couldnt get people to the games. Ah, yes, the smell of stale piss, when you've dribbled down your own leg after a few too many. Live the creed

Reply #229134 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who is responsible for this mess? the members should ask for their heads on a pie plate....

Reply #229138 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

So let me get this right....

One of the 2 SA based AFL clubs is struggling at the moment and in desparate need of financial assistance (exacerbated by a sponsor not paying up what they owe) and the majority of "football supporters" are just saying "sucked in you deserve it"

Would hate to think what would happen if that happened in the NBL.....

Reply #229151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CROWS FANS = JEALOUS TOSSERS - A NEW DVD HAS BEEN RELEASED - TITLED " ADELAIDE CROWS , A DECADE OF NOTHING"

Reply #229168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get fucked mate,. Ports DVD is Port - We suck balls. Nice grand final loss jackassess.

Reply #229176 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

229176 thanks for that elequently put statement good to see you have the guts to put a name to yourself too...oh wait.

I totally agree with statman, why are all the Crows supporters happy that SA footy is going down the shitter? I as a port supporter are understandably pissed off at the club an the jackasses that have been fucking us over the past few years. But honestly if the crows were struggling i would hate for them to leave the league. Sure you dont have to cheer for the Power or like Tredders or Chad or whoever but without Port there is no showdown, there is no rivialry, there is no fun between mates and office bragging rights. So all you crows fans just suck it up for a bit and realise that as much you hate it the crows are nothing without port, and port are nothing without the crows.

Reply #229203 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Nice to see where the offensive and abusive language has spewed from in this thread. One would expect it to be "us ferals" who support Port Adelaide, (a real footbal club, rather than a bunch of money based blow ins) but no...the majority has fallen out of the mouths of the chardonnay sipping, "johnny come lately" crows supporters.

I really shouldnt touch on histroy..but..as it has been raised..

crows 2009 - 1991 ... 19 years.. that is your history

Port 2009 - 1870 ... Now THAT is a history

By the way, if it were not for Port, the crows would not even exist, the SANFL had buggered around for years and had got no where, it was only once Port Adelaide took the leadership, that the cows were finally born. we will accept your thank you cards anytime.

Reply #229204 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Me you are a real cockhead aren't you?
The Crows were always going to come into existense, but due to the selfish backstabbing Port Adelaide under the table action, the Crows were given far less concessions entering the competition than other clubs. So thanks a million maggies or should that be MAGGOTS?

Reply #229215 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Me you are a real cockhead aren't you?
The Crows were always going to come into existense, but due to the selfish backstabbing Port Adelaide under the table action, the Crows were given far less concessions entering the competition than other clubs. So thanks a million maggies or should that be MAGGOTS?

Reply #229216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me: Adelaide's history is the entire SANFL's history which is all clubs, not just Port Adelaide. So what are your saying is complete crap.

Anon: #229168, what are we more jealous of, being $3.5 million in debt, winning only one grandfinal, or getting smashed 126 points in another grandfinal?

It would be nice to see both Crows and Port Adelaide survive to shove it up the Vics.

Reply #229219 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Wow what an interesting thread to read. Let me begin by saying I'm an unabashed Crows supporter, and I certainly don't have any gray hair :P

By seriously guys, crows and port supporters alike, grow the F up, seriously, a team is in serious financial troubles and all you can do is trade barbs over an internet thread?

How about we address the real issue?
Is this really a surprise? I'd think not. No.1 - Port has struggled to draw fans to their home games over the last few years (despite making the granny a couple of years back) and simply cannot afford the overheads associated with a 50,000 capacity stadium.

No.2 When you combine the above with the current economic times its hardly a surprise that suddenly the power are in financial poo.

Will be very interesting to see if the AFL bails them out, as has been the tradition with many Vic-based clubs over the last 10 years.

I wonder if the AFL will even be able to help Port out, I'd imagine that Port's not the only team up the proverbial creek at the moment.

Reply #229224 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

Why don't port play a few home game at other stadiums for money like the Gold Coast, Darwin or Tassie

Reply #229226 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

for money

Reply #229227 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol DodaBonk mate, nice work with the "personal attack" there. I completely agree with you though.

me:

"crows 2009 - 1991 ... 19 years.. that is your history

Port 2009 - 1870 ... Now THAT is a history"

Port Magpies 1870-2009

Power 1997-2009. WOW!

Reply #229231 | Report this post

PortPowerless  
Years ago

For Anon(#229168)

CROWS FANS = JEALOUS TOSSERS - A NEW DVD HAS BEEN RELEASED - TITLED " ADELAIDE CROWS , A DECADE OF NOTHING"

And the new Power DVD is called 'We never stop, stop, stopped till we're top,top,topped'
It's in your club song mate, 'history in the making'.
So you won the premiership, and now you've all stopped going eh?

As a Crows supporter I can't say I've EVER heard a fellow supporter reflect any jealousy to do with Port Adelaide, why would we? PA have only won a single AFL premiership. PA never sell out a game. PA dont have any facilities at AAMI stadium. PA have to live an ancient creed that doesnt work in the big league.
When you guys love to serve it up to the 'chardonney Crows supporters so much, I cant believe how sensitive you act when you cop a bit of banter back, it's just hillarious.

We aren't jealous mate, we just can't stand your pathetic whining about how nobody loves you. Just get over it and go to a friggin game so they can shut TF up

:-)

Reply #229232 | Report this post

PortPowerless  
Years ago

XztatiK, its good to agree on something at last.

It just shows, when you know where to look you can always find something in common.

So come on you maggots, support YOUR team, Xman and I need something to fight for together!!

Oh, and PS. Personal attacks are not usually my preference, but when you see and hear some of the crap..... I just lose it!!

Reply #229235 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

XztatiK, its good to agree on something at last.

It just shows, when you know where to look you can always find something in common.

So come on you maggots, support YOUR team, Xman and I need something to fight for together!!

Oh, and PS. Personal attacks are not usually my preference, but when you see and hear some of the crap..... I just lose it!!

Reply #229236 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

DoDaBonk and PortPowerless are the same person??? That's good, I happen to agree with PP too.

Reply #229243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Keep it reasonable people. If you want to snipe, go away - seriously, what's the point?

If you want to talk about the Power and what they can/should do without being a tool about it, go ahead and talk.

Reply #229245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port power and Port Magpies are still the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Reply #229250 | Report this post

myself  
Years ago

lmao... wonder if the crows fan base is like this thread... stupid..and all related?

Reply #229274 | Report this post

Hood 11  
Years ago

I've just finished reading this entire thread having just discovered it and am exhausted from laughing so hard. Think I might even have to have a lie down to recover.

I love how the `Chardonnay Sipper' comment always gets pulled out when someone takes offence to comments on Port Power or people living in either the northern or southern suburbs.
I've been on the receiving end for a seemingly harmless northern suburb quip once before, some people are so sensitive. (Apparently I'm a Chardonnay sipping wanker from Burnside)

Funny stuff.

Think the forced sponsorship idea is pure genius.

Reply #229279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Crows DVD - "How to play for 8th place and get knocked out in the 1st week of the finals"

Your team will struggle this year - Bottom 6

Reply #229288 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Regardless of who you barrack for, this is a serious issue for SA Footy, and for sport in general in the state taht is controlled at a national level. Now, on field success usually affects off field support and the more successful a team is, the more ability it has to attract and retain sponsors and supporters. Therefore, we want our SA teams to have their share of success.

The Power have stated that the main cause of their worries is AAMI stadium costs, maybe that's true, maybe not. However, the main issue is not that IMO. The big question that everyone needs to ask themselves relates to the perceived inequality, discrimination and bias that appears to be endemic within the AFL.

So, I pose the question to all you poindexters. If Port was a Victorian based club and came cap in hand to the AFL, would they bend over backwards to support them?

Reply #229296 | Report this post

Powfer foreva  
Years ago

stuff al use crow ideots. use donut no wat use are takin bout. power rools, use r al towls

Reply #229309 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lame joke powfer foreva..

Port really need to be playing out of Adelaide Oval when it is complete. Even if only 30,000 turn up it will look a lot more full than Footy Park does when games are played there. Less overheads, less staff needed, better more accessible ground and facilities.

If only the SANFL could realise this..

Reply #229316 | Report this post

Powfer foreva  
Years ago

Sorry.

Reply #229319 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

average crowds between Port and Corws is only 6000 diference.

So i dont think the support is the issue, the issue is that Port are being extorted to use footy park.

Let them use adelaide oval, negotiate a reasonable deal and the losses will stop.

by the way...the quips are just a balancing act..

Feral = chardonnay sipper

Neither are true or even representative.

Reply #229360 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

Port Power players, supporters and anyone associated with the club are idiots. You all stink and look like my ass after I've taken a dump.

I'd rather be a 'chardonnay sipper' than an ugly feral gerk like all Port supporters.

Reply #229361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754