djrod
Years ago

Player Points System revealed on The OT

In episode 'EMERY ATKINSON' (#26 listen to find out the relevance) John Rillie and I exclusively discuss the '09/10 Player Points' and there are some major question marks over MANY of the player ratings.

We couldn't let this go under the carpet due to the level of craziness. (Matt Burston is a 10 - just as a teaser)

We also interview Joe Ingles during Mad monday (he gets JR GOOD too by the way), Mat Campbell also drops by... we talk NCAA tournament, GF series, Boomers job and heaps of other dribble :)

Episode 26 HERE

Topic #19353 | Report this topic

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

there sure are some crazy ratings they defy belief
the system needs to revert to the peer rating system where all coaches vote on what players are worth.

bench people getting rated 9's is just nuts

Reply #229220 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

well the peer rating system was thwarted by 1 head coach, rating all players as 10's!

and yes his son was a 10 aswell - no suprise there though :)

Reply #229223 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

are the player points ranking available anywhere yet?

Reply #229225 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Can't wait to listen to it Rod!

Reply #229237 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

if that was the case rod then it affected everyone equally so would not imbalance the process

Reply #229238 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

it made a mockery of the system... showed that the system could be cheated or mistreated.

Reply #229242 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The points values have not been released to the public, just players, agents and clubs at this stage.

This time around, clubs cannot appeal ratings, just the players. And a number of players will have to do that or they will simply not be able to get a gig with their current ratings.

There are a lot of really bizarre ones and my argument to the NBL has been that they could offset some of this incredulous reaction by just tweaking the numbers before they're released. Even if it's just those that are 2-4 points off!

I'd guess that the numbers will be released once the appeals have been processed. Even then, I think there could be a few silly ones left in by players not interested in appealing (a bit like how Chappell was a 10 for 08/09 because he wasn't around to appeal - doesn't mean much but I did see a few fans around the traps taking that to mean that the NBL were clueless and that would've been trivial to avoid).

FWIW, the system is based on statistical analysis (Tendex method) which, seems to me, inflates the value of players with a high FG% or low TOs or who were efficient in minimal minutes but would not excel at the same rate were they to play more. e.g., there is one 11 MPG centre who is rated about 4 points too high.

One issue that will stand past the re-ratings is that of players that are probably rated too low and obviously wouldn't appeal. Hinder stands out as the most obvious candidate (two points below where he should be IMO) and Bruce is another (also about 1-2 below where I'd rank him).

One thing many might agree with is that Daniel Joyce is rated in one of the bottom non-rookie brackets. The peers had voted (nominations but no votes in NBL awards) and now the stats have voted.

Peer review or stats with peer review tweaks should be the solution. One individual screwing with the system should not deter the league from trying it.

Reply #229248 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Can anyone name one other sporting league/competition on this planet that's got a 'PLAYER POINTS SYSTEM'?

Reply #229277 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

um, tennis.

Reply #229305 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

Football in most country leagues are now running with points systems and does not have salary cap now. Points are allowed and determined on many facet too many to mention. This is designed to even out competition and loyalty points.

Reply #229317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:04 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754