Quagmire
Years ago

Greatest players never named all-stars

Just thought i would start a thread because i'm too lazy to look it up myself....and coz i value all of your opinions ;-)

I'll get the ball rolling with D-Will, who because of various reasons is yet to be named an all-star.

Kind of pointless, i think blind freddy would agree D-Will will get his in time....

It just got me thinking about quality players who just never got the chance to play in the defensive slug-fest that is the all-star game...

Topic #19356 | Report this topic

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Derek Harper

Reply #229257 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

bogut

Reply #229258 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Dee Brown

Reply #229276 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

Nicholas Van Excitement.

Oh wait, he made it once.

I was sad the one time Cedric Ceballos was named to the all-star game, he couldn't play because of injury. He was a fun player in the mid-1990's.

Reply #229280 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Tayshaun?
Bibby?

Did those guys deserve it?

Reply #229286 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Cedric Maxwell. 1981 NBA Finals MVP!

Reply #229293 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I'm going to go with the Harpers, Ron and Derek.

Reply #229294 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Paul Pressey

Kevin Willis? (unsure)

Reply #229299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Ginobilli ever been a All-star?

Reply #229301 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Willis played in 1992.

I'd go with the Harpers as well. Chuck in Odom as well.

Now here are some shocking all-star selections.

Anthony Mason
Antonio Davis
BJ Armstrong (morons voted him as a starter in 1994)
Dale Davis
Tyrone Hill
Chris Gatling
Dana Barros
Theo Ratliff
Jamal Magloire

For a big man with heaps of talent (but a crap attitude), I can't believe Derrick Coleman only played in 1 game.

Reply #229303 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Manu played in 05

Reply #229304 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sorry for the triple post,

but I'd have to chuck in Jimmy Jackson on the list of great players never to make the game. During the early days he was awesome..

Reply #229306 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yep, Manu has played, and deservedly I think.

I like that flip side, TR. Yeah I remember Jamal Magloire getting in, it was because there was just no one else.

There are also cases every year where stars who have been all stars in the past get voted in although they have had a really bad season, or been injured, etc, while someone having a great season doesn't make it. Like Morning voted as a starter in 2001 when he hadn't even played a game. Who votes like that?

Reply #229308 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Dee Brown sucked hard, he had the weakest dunk to ever win a dunk comp ever ever ever!

Reply #229322 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Jay Jay Manners, I agree Ced missing out because of injury in 95 was a shame. I loved them mid 90's lakers teams.

some other bad all star selections

Terrell Brandon
Otis Thorpe
Michael Adams
Jeff Hornacek

Reply #229344 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Jay Jay Manners, I agree Ced missing out because of injury in 95 was a shame. I loved them mid 90's lakers teams.

Terrell Brandon
Otis Thorpe
Michael Adams
Jeff Hornacek

Reply #229345 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Terrell Brandon
Otis Thorpe
Michael Adams
Jeff Hornacek

Reply #229346 | Report this post

Annex2  
Years ago

Jeff Ruland was a shocker in 1984.

Reply #229359 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

The Davis brothers were good though, and Antonio made it that year as a replacement, averaging 14 10 and 2bpg for Toronto.

Also thought Magloire had a real good year when he made it (definately double-double, not sure how big) and put a fair few points on the board in the all-star game from memory?

And Theo isn't a HORRIBLE selection, averaged over 4 blocks a game the year he was picked.

But the fact they have 'former all-star' next to their name does seem odd.

Active players I'd say Lamar Odom, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Mike Bibby (?), Jason Terry, Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, Zach Randolph (I know hes a joke, put he puts up massive numbers), Andre Iguodala, Andre Miller, Kevin Martin and Gerald Wallace.

And is it too early to say Kevin Durant :)

Reply #229362 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Andre Miller averaged 17ppg and 11apg in 2000/2001 and didnt make it...that's pretty harsh.

Reply #229363 | Report this post

curltey  
Years ago

Didn't Ron Harper make it once?

What about Steve Smith?

Mark Eaton also made it, as did Vlade Divac, probably a belated selection out of sympathy. Laettner and Gugliotta also made one appearance each, but you wouldn't call em all stars.

Chuck Person probably should've made it once, but i reckon the greatest ommision ever is Mark Jackson, the guy is 2nd all time on assists.

Reply #229365 | Report this post

curltey  
Years ago

My mistake, after checking, Mark Jackson played one all star game in '89.

Petrovic probably should've made it in '93.

Reply #229367 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

A lot of those guys listed as surprise selections would not be considered All Stars, but their selections happened due to one or two All Star calibre seasons ... and it being a little thin at their respective positions ?

Reply #229368 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

a couple other suspect all stars

hersey hawkins
kevin duckworth
a.c. green

Reply #229383 | Report this post

vc for 3  
Years ago

Baron Davis and Steve Smith have been All Stars.

Jason Williams could have played well in the All Star game, it would have suited his talents, and he had a few solid years where he could have deserved it IMO.

Reply #229387 | Report this post

curltey  
Years ago

Kevin Duckworth and AC green made all star teams. Duckworth in 91, cant remeber when AC made it.

Reply #229447 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754