curltey
Years ago

Statistical questions.

1) Is a rebound assigned to a player which catches an airball?

2) Is a rebound assigned to a player who catches a block?

3) Why are strips when a player is attempting a shot often called steals and not blocks?

4) Does a player get an assist when the player he passes to is fouled in the act of shooting without completing the play, provided the player scores 1 of 2 freethrows?

5) If a player is fouled in the act of shooting but misses the shot does this shot go down as a miss?

Topic #19374 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

1) yep
2) yep
3) because stats people are perhaps not good
4) not sure - used to be i think but I thought they were chaning it
5)no

Reply #229467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1) YES

2) YES

3) Might be 'called' a steal but a block is a block

4) YES as long as the shooter didn't create the opportunity to shoot the ball themselves.

5) NO

Reply #229468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cause strippers steal

Reply #229472 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

The official answer to (c) is: -

- If the ball has actually left the players hand, then it should be called a shot attempt and a block, however, if in the stats callers opinion, the ball was still in players hand then it would be a steal and a turnover.

All the other answers given are correct.

Reply #229475 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Who me I think thats incorrect (again unless its changed in the last couple of years). The statisticians give a block when a player goes up to dunk and gets rejected and in that case the ball has never left their hand.

Reply #229491 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

And when a ball is stolen off the dribble it is not usually in contact with the ball-handler's hands - that couldn't possibly be called a block.

Here's one, does a player who gets blocked recieve a missed shot or a turnover (depending on whether his team keeps possesion) or nothing?

Reply #229495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's a block it had to be a shot. Therefore it's a shot that missed.

Reply #229515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a player passes to a team mate who gets fouled in the act of shooting, the player only has to make one foul shot for the pass to be counted as an assist?

Reply #229533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754