LA Boy
Years ago

NBL 09-10

today heard little confirmation that NBL will most likely be on in another 5 months, which means around a August start. Doesn't seem like anything's going to change. Well, other than on FTA (hopefully)

also, just had a chat to one of the player and found out he's looking to go Europe or states. So the talent next season will be a worry...plus with CJ gone to, anyone know if he's coming back?

Topic #19415 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

either way,a bad day in australia is still better than a good day in beirut !!

Reply #229885 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i mean,even if we lose some players to europe etc,the prospect of getting some of our young kids back from college is pretty exciting!!

Reply #229886 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

definitely exciting but the fact that the guys leaving are big names (established) with 10+years ahead of them to create history, it's a loss...And plus most college kids list NBL as their "backup" option

Reply #229888 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Backup to what, though? NBA?

Reply #229896 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Europe, lower league in the states; both probably pays higher

Reply #229897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be being a bit hopeful here, but isn't CJ just playing the off-season in Israel?

Reply #229902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is rubbish. Next season you'll see how many players the NBL will have lost, next to nothing. There are not too many players here that could get serious gigs in Europe and you don't go over there unless it's to make more than you earn here. No league in the US outside of the NBA pays anywhere near high-end NBL wages so no one will be doing that.

Reply #229911 | Report this post

Farouk agree with Skull, he say plane fly overhead, drop value. I don't care. In Beirut, plane fly over, drop bomb. I like these planes...

Reply #229912 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

if anything this whole thing may wake a lot of players up,most of them are over paid for what they do.playing nbl in australia at the moment must be the easiest pro sport gig in the worid,very little committment to club,sponsors,fans etc.
they need to get back to work like everybody else,otherwise this thing is not going to work!!!

Reply #229921 | Report this post

yes me agree lots. nbl big trouble for season come
(Sorry, just getting into the spirit of the above posts)

Reply #229926 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

My 2 cents worth are that some players here are paid for more than what they are worth. As pointed out above they hardly have the work load of say an AFL player as far as media and sponsors are concerned.

I also think that due to the GFC that the Euro options will shrink. It is hard for us to comprehend but it is having a huge effect throughout Europe and simply they dont have as much money to splash around any more.

Sponsors are clamping down and private owners have been hit hard.

Existing big name Euro players are looking at pay cuts and even the NBA are shipping big wage players out when they can. ( Chandler trade recently was reported to be purely and economic decision)

To give you an idea of how bad the economy is in Europe the entire country of Ireland last month saw 6 houses sold. To put that in perspective that means 30 houses in the whole of Australia.

There is no more Ogliarch money to be paid in Russia ( how Anstey was getting a big deal) either so that has cut out the big paying gigs there as well, which has a flow on effect.

Reply #229938 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

I know next to nothing about European basketball.

What months of the year do they usually play?

Is it feasible to schedule the NBL during the European off-season?

Wouldn't many of the Australian players currently in the European leagues be interested in playing back in Australia during the European off-season, given they could earn two incomes?

Not to mention some of the imports?

Or is this just not possible?

Reply #229943 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Thankyou anon for providing some much needed intelligence to yet another stupid debate based on a topic lacking in facts- it's annoying to read these stupid rumours every few days based on what some player thinks, knowing full well they are the least to know anything credible going on- just ask them- they always complain they don't get told enough!

Reply #229951 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

nbl this year will be a solid paying league, thats one of the reasons the nbl only wants financially viable teams in the league, we do pay better than d- league for the good players and anyone that does go to europe can easily be replaced with new talent, anyhow fresh faces are great for the league, more exciting being that we dont know what they can do.

Reply #229976 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

jay jay - European leagues run long seasons, generally commencing Sep/oct and running through late April to early june.

catch 22 for the NBL i'm afraid, compete with AFl, RL, etc etc in winter, or compete with players playing in euro leagues if they can get a gig. Relatively few have gone from here and taken "import" spots on Euro sides, many have done it, as Ingles is proposing, on a local passport because they can play as a euro zone player.

the compromise is a june through October type season here. many players could then play in two different leagues but you then hurt badly in release and preparation time for those tiddly little events like the World champs and olympics.

Reply #229982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754