curious
Years ago

Blaze cut Watkins - Joyce next?

Watkins gone.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/03/25/62931_gold-coast-blaze.html

Topic #19417 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

"I told Brendan that something was going on 12 months ago and I really believed there was an agenda there to get rid of us," he said.

"My experience in the NBL told me something was not right and I basically knew the writing was on the wall."
Wonder if they made any changes over those 12 months?
"At the end of the day I still don't know the real reason they didn't re-sign me."
I imagine that 8 W, 22 L was one contributing factor.

Reply #229953 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

All set up for Heal to be added to coaching group if not as Head Coach

Reply #229954 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

i cant see shane there coaching.

Isacc i suggest watkins is refering to the start of the season,not mid way through the season.

Could claxton be plotting a coaching comeback?

Reply #229955 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Which Joyce?

Reply #229956 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Seeing as they are talking of Coaches I would assume it would be Brendan

Reply #229958 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

No Chance of Heal coaching, hes got too many other business ventures happening at the moment and from what Ive heard he wasnt overly popular with the owners of the Blaze.

Id say that the Joyce decision will be made as soon as the new league is announced and the Blaze would then be hoping all previous contracts are voided - thus saving them a substantial payout to gire Brendan.

As for new coach - all the usual suspects will be talked too but my guess would be Beverage the front runner with the hops he will bring some young guys from the Spirit with him

Reply #229960 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Any team that ever ever signs Heal as coach would have major issues, what did he do, wooden spoon or thereabouts at the dragons, undermined perhaps the biggest thing ever to the nbl in Mark Price, undermined Scott Ninnis, he is a disgrace. Heal should go work at Wet n Wild as a slide operator.

Reply #229977 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Right on, Isaac.

"I put a lot of time and effort into the club and building it up from scratch to where it is today"

"Building it up" appears to have just taken on a whole new meaning.

Reply #229981 | Report this post

Camel 71  
Years ago

He kind of looks like one of those dodgey ride operators..... yknow the ones that feel up your girlfriend while helping them onto one of the rides.

Reply #230013 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

no way bevo is going to be there, he will be placed somewhere else very shorty i suggest. in reference tot he role at blaze i suspect joey wright is in contention again since he hasnt got the perth job.

Reply #230014 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't the article suggest Wright had taken a gig as assistant with a US college team?

Reply #230016 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

i believe that joey isnt done and dusted at going to the us for a college rol its just a rumor from what i am hearing

Reply #230019 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Yeah l heard that Joey wanted the Perth job but did not get it . He has now made himself available again for the Blaze job. Joey is a wheeler and dealer
It sounds like Coach Joyce is gone but the blaze are not coming clean and probably trying to screw him.
I know they were on the bottom this year but hey did have a incredible amount of injuries but who would now want to coach or play for a team that sacks a coach after taking them into the play offs in there first year while trying to build it.
THEY SHOULD BE FOLLOWING THE LEAD OF THE WESTCOAST EAGLES AND STICKING WITH jOYCE AS DONE WITH WORSFOLD. Joyce would have eventualy taken them to championship.
My tip? if Joey does not do it.
Maybe it is Claxton

Reply #230067 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

You've got it the wrong way around, Joyce screwed the Blaze.

Reply #230076 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Bevo won't be in the NBL. He has replaced Pat Hunt as head of NITCP. Pat always said no NBL side could afford him so doubt Bevo will be moving back.

Reply #230084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:32 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754