Anonymous
Years ago

Handle Magazine Forced To Close

From http://www.handlemag.com.au/-

"It is with great regret that handle has had to close its doors. After three years of operating as Australia's only basketball magazine, bringing you all the latest basketball news from here and abroad, handle has been forced to stop press.

We'd like to thank you for your support throughout the years, whether you were a subscriber, a regular visitor to the website or a passing fan.

If you have a current subscription, you will shortly be receiving a letter from us explaining the closure and what we're doing now. The Handle website will continue to stay live in the foreseeable future, with regular updates. If you'd like to purchase any back issues, please give us a call on 02-9389 7855 or go here http://handlemag.com.au/back_issues.htm. For any inquiries, please email Dina on [email protected].

We hope you have enjoyed reading the magazine as much as we have enjoyed bringing it to you."

So, no more Australia bball magazine, exept for Hoopcity, who haven't even released Issue 2 yet (but still mantain there will be one)

Topic #19427 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

I remember when Pro Basketball Today had to close, as well as One on One

Glory days...
*sigh*

Reply #230018 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Nooooooo!

I take the blame here. I purchased every issue of One on One, and they were forced to close. I purchased every issue of Handle, and they were forced to close.

Apologies.

Reply #230021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even at what, $6.95 a copy, Handle couldn't sell in today's internet dominated market.

It is a shame, because I felt Handle was a solid mag, good shoe coverage, and some NBA/NBL material you wouldn't find elsewhere.

Reply #230022 | Report this post

Wayville 79  
Years ago

They should feature Ben Cousin more often...reflects sad facts of this country.

Reply #230028 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Shame about Handle but agreed that HoopCity seem to be better at providing excuses for their work.

Reply #230032 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Was it part funded by the NBL or was it separate?

Reply #230033 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

:-( Sad day for Basketball in this country. Got a subscription for Christmas only 1 issue in :-(

Reply #230034 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I'm devastated. I've been a subsrcriber from the start.

The magazine was awesome and a top read. Perfectly balanced and the diversity in there.

PBT was also sad as I reguarly had letters written in there including my famous quote about Tim Duncan "Walking Poo". I receive a bit of backlash from fellow readers. But it's all apart of the game.

Sad about the latest loss.

Still waiting for issue 2 from Hoop City.

Reply #230035 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

kcgone - interesting idea. They could've traded advertising with the NBL. NBL provides advertising on their site and easy and regular access to players, while Handle have on-going info on the league schedule and results with a full-page ad every issue.

Reply #230036 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Shame. I really felt the loss when PBT stopped being made. In this internet age, a weekly newspaper was the best option, a month is too long in any sport.

Its why i don'y buy a lot of the b-ball mags on our shelves, half the time an article is on a player either since traded or perhaps injured...

Reply #230043 | Report this post

It's sad whenever an aussie basketball mag taps the mat but I wouldn't have thought Handle will be missed by too many. Absolute rubbish magazine.

I too still have every issue of One On One ever made and I only missed about 3-4 issues of PBT's 10+ year existence (including an entire back page devoted to me as the Best Letter Eva!, Corness always was a dud) and used to get the odd issue of The Basketballer Magazine until the NBL wound that up.

Just a heads up that in this month's issue of Alpha Magazine there is a full page interview with Andrew Gaze (probably in part due to my letter of complaint a few months ago on the lack of NBL coverage) and despite being in the Ltd News stable I've always found it a decent read for $2.95. Supposedly it's also teetering on the edge of shutting up shop.

Hopefully when the big Fox deal goes through for the NBL, Uncle Rupert will see the wisdom in starting to promote the league although he's never been known for his business smarts.

Reply #230051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Many publishers are stuck in a tough place - between something on the way out in a lot of cases in paper- and edition-based publications, and the expect-everything-for-free Internet. If a daily rarely breaks the news any more, then a monthly magazine has no better chance - they live or die on feature pieces and declining ad revenue I'd guess.

I'd like to see NBL clubs offer affiliate programs for season memberships (and game tickets if possible) - 5% of a $300 membership would be $15 and give incentives to zines and forums to aggressively co-promote the game. If 2,000 Handle readers (might be optimistic?) bought their memberships through that mechanism to read an online publication, they might have a $30k kickback to fund writers during the course of a year. They could pay $50 for a brief opinion piece, $150 for something a touch more substantial or $350+ for a feature - average them out and you could put together a zine with 3-4 pieces/week. Run premium memberships, donations and advertising on top of that and you might be able to sustain something reasonable?

(For one of my clients, I built a site that sells physical subscriptions, online subscriptions and then credits used to read individual articles - anyone interested is welcome to get in touch.)

Reply #230055 | Report this post

Just thought I'd add to the business model talks that the hilarious Vice Magazine is free and operates purely on ad revenue as does one of our street press papers Rip It Up (as opposed to dB Magazine) which I do believe made the owner a multi-millionaire. She sold it to that Spanish guy here that owns the Adelaide Review.

Reply #230066 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

So what happens to our subscriptions, do we get a refund or is bad luck?

Really sad to hear this, Handle was my favourite mag by far... :(

Reply #230070 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

sorry mate but i'd assume its the latter..

Reply #230097 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

every penny - not much money in basketball advertising. The publisher of Handle has lost a swag of money propping the magazine up for three years - credit to them for giving it a shot.

Reply #230101 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

ahh, as far as I'm aware of, most writers are unpaid...(me been one of them)

I really didn't think there were any indication it was going to go; talked to the editor last Friday about a piece I sent in and to find out it's not on no more this week.

Reply #230118 | Report this post

Hopscotch 75  
Years ago

Probably didn't help that the owner/editor didn't pay a cent to his writers, lied about why payments weren't coming, and generally conducted himself like a snake.

Reply #379023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754