Anonymous
Years ago

Seamus - Dome and Sixers bid

Article on Seamus' bid for the dome and sixers.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25243069-5006371,00.html

Topic #19431 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

I don't interfere with players or with the coaching

You only have to observe him at ANY Tigers game (especially if they're losing) to know that this is not true.

Reply #230044 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

So why did Westover ring Grizzard ready to chew him out about not turning up to practice only to find out that Seamus had sacked him without consulting the coaching staff or any of the team.

Reply #230045 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I just wonder how serious he actually is, or if it is a stunt. There would be some advantage in him indicating a bid may be coming as this places pressure on the current bid to raise the ante. It could also stall negotiations and delay a sale placing un-necessary pressure on the new buyer as they would want to tidy things up before next season.
By then withdrawing a bid at the last minute, the successful owner now has an asset they have paid an extra X% for, got it later and in now under more stress.
Business is all about ROI. The higher the asset value, the more return investors expect. The return on the investment is the limiting factor. Therefore, by forcing your competitors to pay more for something you don't really want, the more pressure is on them. (the old win-lose situaion)

Seamus has probably read "The Art of War". Personally, I would call his bluff on this one.

Reply #230048 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

he sits on the f'ing bench for god's sake - how would you like your boss that close to you every day?

Reply #230052 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Hemmerling Sits on the Sixers bench as well. The sooner Hemmerling is gone the better I think! I would like Seamus to be owner of the dome and Sixers as I think he has some good ideas for it.

Reply #230053 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Jack..... Seamus = Serious. No bluff.

KingJames..... How will you like it when the Tigers are playing the 6ers in the finals? And Seamus has pre-decided the game dependant on which team makes him benefit the most financially.

It's not against the rules to have one person own more than one team? MAKE IT AGAINST THE RULES.... NOW.

Reply #230057 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Seamus would be great for the 36ers franchise.
He has done a great job with the Tigers and has a real passion for the game.
We need to get back to being a top professional unit that can win but also develop some young players.
The AFL teams are the masters of promoting and developing and giving younger players a chance to play.
This is where the NBL has failed as has most clubs including ours..
People are interested more in the AFL becuase they love watching young players come through.
In nutshell Seamus could do this.

Reply #230065 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Sorry Bill, but I feel you're missing the fact that although Seamus loves B/Ball to bits, he is FIRST a business man, and a very succesfull one at that! His priority is making $$$$$$$ , and his dreams of how to run the Dome only support this.

However, this may not be all bad for us, because in the case senario of 36ers V Tigers, it would be better to have the games here because of the bigger capacity

Reply #230068 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

NBA games in Adelaide.
I think not.

Reply #230072 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree with you Dicko, having one guy own more than one team is a very bad idea. Are the Sixers going to be the Tigers B team?

I thought the 'New NBL' wanted to be taken seriously? If anyone gets to own more than one team I will not be impressed!

Reply #230073 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DICKO how can you say he could pre-decide it? Do you think he will tell the coach that their team must purposely lose? Do u think the players would accept this? I don't see that as a possibility in the grand finals or any finals game for that matter.

On the other hand, I can see him making one team lose near the end of the regular season if it makes the other team play a more easier opponent in the finals. Or one team to lose to make the other team make the playoffs. For that reason most people would object to having someone having two teams. I think they are unlikely outcomes so I don't mind.

Reply #230079 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

KingJames, I never thought professional athletes would throw games, but money talks. And if players don't dance, he could always sack the best player, or not pay the best player for a week or two.

Reminds me of that scene in Hot Shots...

"Both these guys fight for Don King, should be interesting.........."

Reply #230085 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Go to about 2:40min

Reply #230086 | Report this post

Camel 71  
Years ago

What are you all going on about ?
Until Brisbane folded E.Groves owned two teams.

Reply #230087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring NBA games to Adelaide? Is this an early April 1 joke?

Reply #230090 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Camel.....Eddy Groves gave the impression that this was not the case, he gave Mal the reins pretty much and he stayed out.

Seamus is NOT, and has never been, the kind of hands-off person that he's claiming to be.

DICKO how can you say he could pre-decide it? Do you think he will tell the coach that their team must purposely lose? Do u think the players would accept this? I don't see that as a possibility in the grand finals or any finals game for that matter.

Money Talks mate. You have to remember, this is a guy that stood up in the media and stated to the NBL (on which he's a board member, ridiculously) that he has deep pockets, fines don't worry him and "Bring it on".

You are assuming a level of decentness, sportsmanship, fair spiritedness, etc that he has proven, time and time again, not to have.

On the bright side though....Adelaide would have an the best team money can buy, and carte blanche to completely ignore salary and points cap issues.

Reply #230093 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

So when will the story come out about how Seamus derailed the Sixers by instigating the whole Julius thing?Will it be when Julius suits as a Tiger next season? No way that the league can allow dual ownership, the Groves Hemmerling deal was already tenuous enough.

Reply #230098 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If Seamus is serious, then this does worry me a bit.
Not because of the on field implications in the Melb. Tigers-Adel. Tigers derby, not because of how he'll own two teams, not because he's not a South Aussie, and not because people believe him to be a complete A#$#.
The thing that worries me the most is that the 36ers have the best attendance record in the league. Our crowds are highest because they are mum and dad crowds with kids in tow. These crowds create an atmosphere that is exciting and encourage our team to have one of the highest home game win rates in the league.
Demand a higher purchase price for a team, a higher return is needed and so ticket prices go up and crowds go down. Rather than mums and dads, the crowds are now sales reps wining and dining clients who don't share a passion for the Sixers. Anyone been to the AFL boxes, or finals lately? Clinical crowds in suits who are there to be seen, not there to see.
While we need good corporate support for the Sixers, the Sixers strategic advantage in the competition is that the home crowds are the sixth man and that we have always enjoyed good success at home in front of a passionate crowd. The last thing the Sixers need is a stadium half full of suits in $100/game seats. Give me a noisy 5,000 odd crowd any day. One of the best games of the last few seasons was Brett's last home game - why? Capacity crowd and standing room only.

Reply #230099 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Jack Toft, whilst I understand what you are saying, I don't believe higher ticketing prices will be the case. The reason is because there is only limited seats at the Melbourne Netball center and hence why he can charge more for tickets there.

I would say a $10 price rise per game for tickets here would decrease the crowd from about 5000 to 3000 (or much less considering the economy) making him lose more money. Furthermore, this would impact the catering businesses and their future contracts with the stadium. More importantly this will impact on Sponsors wanting to invest here, they wont want to if there is small crowds to every game. So it is a loss loss situation for him to charge more for tickets here.

Reply #230100 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

KJ,
There will be a certain ROI that will be required and this will be achieved through corporate $ or ticket prices. The membership prices for Tigers are higher than for Sixers and I am sure some alignment would be in order if they were owned by the same owner.
At the Cage, a Gold family pass was $1,350 - significantly higher than the current Dome rate.
The corporate rates were not displayed.

Regardless of what people think, owning a club is a business and people expect a reasonable return. Supporters should expect to pay a fair price for seats, what I do not want to see is a Dome with the atmosphere of the Adelaide Club during Friday lunch.

BTW, make mine a pink G&T

Reply #230102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do you think he will tell the coach that their team must purposely lose? Do u think the players would accept this?
What else are they going to do?

Think he doesn't meddle with teams? He axed Grizzard and left Westover wondering why Rod hadn't shown up to training!

We had the rule against owners having two teams. We also had the rule against an out-of-stater buying a team. That was relaxed/overlooked for Mr Firepower...

Reply #230103 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

So Isaac you feel players in the GRAND final would jeopodise their chances of winning it by being told that they must purposely lose a game or even be told to let the other team win the finals? All this for the reason that they might not have a job next season if they don't abide by it? If a player didn't abide by this and they lose their job because of it they could easily sue and would easily win. Furthermore, this will destroy both teams reputation and sponsors wouldn't want to put money in clubs like that. If something like that happened that would be worse then college point shaving. There is not a remote chance that would ever happen.

Westover was saying changes would be made to the team and they weren't going to cut Ere. They cut Grizzard and get DT and Kendal and end up going 11-2 to finish the season and then end up making the grand final. I would say that was a brilliant decision by Seamus!

Reply #230104 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Not the point KJ the fact is that Seamus cut Grizzard without even asking Westover or having a discussion with him. The first Westover knew about it was when he failed to attend a training and called him to ask where he was.

That flies in the face of Seamus saying he does not interfere with players or coaching i dont know what is.

Regardless of what happened afterward they still lost the GF and IMO that was more to do with Kendall than getting DT in for Grizz.

And as far as owning 2 teams aiming for one prize do you remember what used to happen at Ferrari when Rubens was leading Schumacher? Rubens knew where his bread was buttered so would move out the way every time until Schuey started repaying him.

Reply #230106 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Whats the alternative?

No 36ers?

Ill take Seamus thanks

Reply #230109 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It's a long way from no Seamus = no 6ers yet.

There are other options being worked on I believe.

Reply #230110 | Report this post

Years ago

Seamus is as good as done.
And Dicko, as much as I enjoy reading your posts, its just a tad hypocritical to bag the Tigers salary cap rorting when your a Dragons fan.
Guess which team spends more? Clue, its yours!

Reply #230112 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

At least it would solve the naming issues..just call it the SBL (Seamus basketball league)

Reply #230113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what happened to the 40% ownership rule? 200% is cool now?

Reply #230115 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Seamus is as good as done.
And Dicko, as much as I enjoy reading your posts, its just a tad hypocritical to bag the Tigers salary cap rorting when your a Dragons fan.
Guess which team spends more? Clue, its yours!

First, I never claimed that the Tigers were the only ones. I think it's a relevant point when their owner sits on the board though.

Second, I never claimed the Dragons to be under. In fact, if Ozhoops were up I could point you to exactly where I've made it clear.

Third, not hypocritical. The statement was about Adelaide and Seamus McPeake, based on history of what he's done. No statement was made about Dragons at all....you did that.

Fourth, neither the Dragons or the Tigers are the highest paying team in the league.

Fifth.....I don't know where YOU Get your info from, but the Dragons have not spent more than the Tigers. The Dragons are not in the top 3, the Tigers are second.

Reply #230121 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

PS....not done and shouldn't be for a while from what I understand.

Funny that the Adelaide people are looking for a white knight to "save" them from a guy who's actually willing and able to buy it lock, stock and barrell.......should give you an idea of what high esteem they hold Seamus, eh?

Reply #230122 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i dont think any one should own two teams,
just make the rule b/a and move on.
if some one wants to own a piece of real estate(stadium)interstate, well thats fine.
what happened to the maximum ownership ruling?
i like seamus's passion,but like all rich guy's he is a control freak!

not sure what his future role with the league should be,who is going to be able control him?

maybe he should drop all ownership of teams and become the new ceo! great role for a control freak!!

Reply #230127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dicko,

I think the point is that your constant sniping about Mcpeake and the tigers is getting old... Yes we all know your opinions and yes having him as both an owner and board meber is not ideal and can give rise to conflict of interests in favouring the Tigers.

And as for your statements on The Tigers and Dragons and other clubs spending...you wouldnt have a clue. Sure you have some mates who are close to the game and give you their opinions on who gets paid what but its just that - opinions. Noone - not even Cowan, McPeake etc would know exactly what each other club has spent over table, under table, third party deals, brown paper bags etc so to post criticisms of other posters comments from some high ground, intimating that you know exactly what everyone gets paid reduces your credibility on other issues post talk about and have regularly provided accurate info!

Reply #230142 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

'Anon' I'm not sure how long you've been coming here and continue to hide behind anonymity for some reason- it's quite easy to pass judgement and incorporate several topics in your post while you hide behind a veil of secrecy isn't it?

I've found Dicko's posts in the past to be quite accurate compared to many others that psycho-babble shit based on what some average mug or even player tells them- I'll agree that from my sources (which aren't confined to one particular team or their 'people') the Tigers and Dragons are the most overpriced and expensive team in the League at the moment, and for as long as McPeake continues to fan the flames I for one will keep 'sniping'- if he could stop treating this sport as his playground, that would be even better while the League and key people are tirelessly trying to clean up the perception and operation of the sport for next season.

Ofcourse owners wouldn't know or be able to create opportunities where they can mingle with equivalents at other clubs- they know who eachother are and often regard eachother with suspicion.
For those of us that pose no threat, do something outside of basketball for a living and where alcohol is aplenty, you'd be surprised at what you can find out about clubs.
Piece it all together from different clubs and you can safely form some conclusions on what is going on where.

For you to come on here and attack the credibility of a regulars who are in the know is either bold or stupid.... possibly both.

Reply #230146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So HAHA - your contacts tell you that the Tigers and Dragons are the most overpriced, but Dicko will tell you the Dragons arnt in the top 3 when it comes to spending?

I think that possibly proves my point that neither of you really know the facts. Sure you have opinions, and those are opinions based on what your contacts tell you or want you to know.

The facts of whether say Anstey is on 140k + a car or 500k plus car, house, free Subways once a week and who knows what else are purely conjecture and the only ones that wold actually know how much he gets would be between the payer (MCpeake) and the payee (Anstey) Hell not even Anstey could tell you how much the Tigers squad is costing MCpeake.

I agree that Dicko has proved 'in the know' as you have put it on numerous topics and his mate clearly drops him some info on a regular basis which is welcome and everyone enjoys having a bit of inside info from the 6ers befre the papers get around to posting it. My comments in teh above post where nothing agains his posts along those regards but I feel at times he uses his 'forum credibility' to try and push other agendas - which for me and in the case of McPeake is getting old. Yes we know he doesnt like him, yes we realise having him on the board gives rise to a potential conflict of interest and yes we know he thinks he rorts the system to feather his own teams nest. Its the constant digs at every opportunity that are just geting dull and boring.

and as for being anonymous....the fact I have not provided an alias doesnt mean Im new here and it also doesnt neccessarily mean Ive posted before. Not everyone who visits a website forum actually wants to be a regular poster - nor does that mean what they post is incorrect

Reply #230149 | Report this post

The point that person made was that Dicko wouldn't have a clue what all the other teams pay their players. He might think he knows but the reality is no one on forums does. Hell the NBL wouldn't even know and they're the ones with most of the numbers in front of them.

We all know everyone except the Spirit and maybe the Hawks were over the cap but to think you have enough inside knowledge of every teams accountants plus the player's agents to actually rank them in order is dishonest. There's rumour and innuendo and then there's trying a bit too hard to big note yourself.

Reply #230150 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

not hard to do if you KNOW what 3 or 4 players on every team are on.

Reply #230157 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dicko was responding to "Guess which team spends more? Clue, its yours!" - is that doing the same thing you're critical of '149?

While the rankings might not be 100% accurate/confirmed, the info wouldn't be miles off. Enough to make it worth discussion.

On the Seamus/36ers topic, obviously there were rules in place in the past for a reason. They included one about owning multiple teams and one about owners having to be locals.

Reply #230160 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

OK...let's make a couple of simple points.

1. Not "sniping" at McPeake. Stating facts, my own serious concerns about the way he conducts himself and the fact that he is in a position of power is perfectly relevant to the topic at hand. A topic I didn't start, by the way. If you think I have a problem with the man....I do....but that doesn't change the accuracy of what I've said about him or the fact that I (and MANY others) think that he should not be in the position he is in.

2. Stating that Cowan wouldn't know what the Tigers players are on is true, or McPeake what otehr clubs are playing players.....Kind of. He'd know what some of them have been offered by himself and/or other clubs, so would have an idea of what they would have gone to the Tigers for. There are PLENTY of people around the league who have a VERY good idea of what others are being paid.

3. That ONE SOURCE you keep talking about is interesting, because IF it's the one I think you're referring to, he has NOTHING to do with what I'm saying here. In fact, I haven't discussed player payments with him ever, that I can recall.

4. Neither Tigers OR Dragons are the top spending team. Maybe there's another club with a little less of the spotlight on them who could be spending the ENTIRE salary cap on 2 players. Geez, you'd want at least an MVP for that sort of money wouldn't you? One that fields lucrative offers from Europe all the time, and has been talked about in NBA Circles?

Seriously son, if you think I would post stuff like this without having a pretty good clue of what I'm saying, you're nuts.

I tell you what....I'll give you what I think are the top 4 and you tell me where you think I'm wrong.

1. NZ
2. Tigers
3. Cairns
4. Dragons

Obviously I can't go into massive details as I don't want to get anyone in trouble. But I'm VERY confident of these rankings.

Cairns, obviously wouldn't have spent it due to circumstances.... But I'm talking about deals at seasons start plus players coming in mid-season.

Reply #230176 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

NZ top players paying?
Possible. However I heard early on the Snakes offered CJ 50% more.
Maybe CJ's advisors knew that Cairns were dodgy.
If any other team is spending the salary caP on 2 players then they should ask for a refund or sue them for false advertising.

Reply #230186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dicko, are you accounting for the NZD exchange rate?

Reply #230187 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Why? What is the AUD to sheep exchange now?

Reply #230191 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

IMO....DICKO is among the most knowledgeable and respected posters.

While i dont expect him to be 100%...inmy experience, he has been damn close most times

Reply #230193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dicko - NZ$1m would be AU$820k or so, NZ$2m would be AU$1.6mish, etc. When word spreads about contracts it's usually just a figure taking the Chinese whispers road and may not account for currency differences. Rickert would likely get paid in USD. Of the other nine, I reckon seven are likely to be paid in NZD, maybe even all nine.

Reply #230194 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Yeah....fair point, and one I haven't really thought about clarifying.

But still, in fairness, if 2 guys take up the salary cap, even in NZ dollars, the team as a whole would have to be right up there as a spender, yes?

In the end, I just want them to come up with a realistic cap and then police the damned thing. It's up to the new league to fix these things, and without this, new league or no, basketball will not survive at the top level.

Reply #230197 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think we have gone off on a tangent....which is most unusual for this forum

Reply #230198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If that were true, then they'd be up there, but there is a difference between that and locking them in at #1. Doubt guys like Tanner, Behrendorff, Henare and Boucher are overly expensive.

Reply #230213 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Hmmmm.....maybe.

But Rickert, Ronaldson and that other guy? The one that Boti describes as having a paint allergy?

Pretty sure there'd be some demand for those guys services.

Reply #230214 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whilst I dont always think Dicko is always right. He is right that we dont want Seamus to get any more power even it will benefit Sixers.
Also no Owner should own 2 teams outright.
My main concern he is a cost cutting profit focussed owner. How would he reduce overheads at Dome . Close off one end or one side to narrow down stadium size .
Remember Tigers court size only holds 3k approx.
Where are all the owners other posters have been sprouting about all last season.

Reply #230216 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Seriously son, if you think I would post stuff like this without having a pretty good clue of what I'm saying, you're nuts.

I tell you what....I'll give you what I think are the top 4 and you tell me where you think I'm wrong.

1. NZ
2. Tigers
3. Cairns
4. Dragons

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly these anonymous posters disappear when you actually ask them to put an opinion of their own up, rather than just snipe at other people :-)

Reply #230315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Dicko, I didnt dissappear - just couldnt be arsed arguing with you on an internet forum - which no doubt would get blown out of proportion (as its already started to)

Just to be clear - I dont know if your order is actually wrong or right, thats my point - noone does, its pure speculation and guess work. Granted I was probably abit loose with my words when I said you "havnt got a clue" sure you can have an educated guess knowing what you ahve been told by others - but its still just that - a guess. Having Haha pop up a couple of posts later and say his sources say the top 2 are Dragons and Tigers just goes to show that everyones sources can have different views on things, and heaven forbid you may even have a source that gives you exagerated or flat out wrong info knowing it will be posted and cause fresh debate (and no Im not saying your mates would do that just that its possible)

What prompted me to post above was
1. How you have IMO overdone the digs at Seamus - not the opinions and debate, rather the throwaway one liners that have popped up here and there. (moreso in other threads than this one - my mistake for bringing it up in this thread)
2. Your occasional putting down of other posters when they dare disagree with you - maybe its just my perception but to me it seems at times you rebut someones arguments with the attitude of "my source is infallible and knows everything so how can you disagree with me"

Reply #230324 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

1. How you have IMO overdone the digs at Seamus - not the opinions and debate, rather the throwaway one liners that have popped up here and there. (moreso in other threads than this one - my mistake for bringing it up in this thread)

There's nothing ovedone about this at all.....I THINK (my opinion) the man is a disgrace for the position he is in and the fact that he is in that position is a blight on our sport that needs to be fixed ASAP. The idea of him owning a second team and wielding more power makes me sick. For him to claim to be a hands-off owner makes me laugh. Laughing and puking at the same time is not fun :-)

2. Your occasional putting down of other posters when they dare disagree with you - maybe its just my perception but to me it seems at times you rebut someones arguments with the attitude of "my source is infallible and knows everything so how can you disagree with me"

I don't put down others? Not that I know of anyway. I just get crappy when I post something (with a reasonable track record of getting stuff right and some decent info) and someone pops up claiming I don't have a clue.

The difference, in my opinion, with my view is that I tend to get it from people who don't have any benefit in lying to me.

For example, HAHA MAY have got his information about Dragons and Tigers being 1 & 2 from a Breakers person who COULD benefit from the misinformation. Not saying it happens.

It's like the guy (LV) on Ozhoops always spruiking about Anstey being on a small contract because he wanted to be in Melbourne and he believes him 100% because he heard it from the horses mouth AND from McPeake. Sorry, who benefits from everyone believing that Anstey is on a small contract?

I'm VERY conscious of where the information comes from. Is it infallible? No. But as I said, my track record is pretty damned good ;-).

Reply #230328 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

you released a track record? is it available on itunes to listen to?

Reply #230334 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Im waiting for the track CD...or is it on Itunes?

"Contemparise man, contemparise"

:)

Reply #230369 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Sorry just read Kents post...stealing his jokes

Reply #230370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754