kman
Years ago

National Coach For Boomers Set

One of the worst kept secrets is now official, Brett Brown is to take the healm. Been at San Antonio for a while as an assistant and obviously former NBL coach who brought out D-Mac years ago. Personally think a fresh person in the role is great, Brian did not get us any better than seventh.

Topic #19462 | Report this topic

burt  
Years ago

Awesome result i think, really they could not have gone GOORJ again that would be dumb

Reply #230313 | Report this post

Reeper  
Years ago

time will see, hopefully the bloke plays some young guys and basically says "this is it for the next 2 olympics, let get them ready and confident" wonder who his assistants will be.

Reply #230314 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

One of the worst kept secrets is now official, the boomers thread is only 4 down from this one! Been there for about 3 hours now.
Personally think a fresh thread on the same subject is not needed, Another will not get us any better replies.

Reply #230318 | Report this post

Reeper  
Years ago

must be something wrong with my p.c, cant see the other comment, my bad if its there

Reply #230319 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

anyhow its a good thing

Reply #230320 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/19458/

all good, i'll sit on the fence as to whether this is good or not!

Reply #230321 | Report this post

AndyOG  
Years ago

The interesting thing about the selection of Brett Brown as head coach of the Boomers in my opinion is that he was actually a Boomers assistant coach at the Sydney Olympics under the much maligned cock-eyed basketball fossil Barry Barnes.

Hopefully he learnt nothing from Bazza about how to run an international outfit (sticking to only favoured players and running the shuffle offence??), and comes in with a fresh new game plan for the Boomers.

If I were Brown, my emphasis would be on brining the Boomers back to the point where we can embarrass New Zealand every time we have to qualify for an international tournament (like in the good old days back last century). If he can get to that point in the next few years, then we should finally medal at the Olympics like the Opals have done several times already.

Another thing I am pondering is if the Spurs are now more interested in making a trade for Bogut, or are keen to draft Patty Mills (as a guard to compliment Tony Parker perhaps) or AJ Ogilvy, or even signing someone from the NBL like Worthington as a free agent. I could see any of these Aussies fitting in well at San Antonio, and, obviously being around Brett all the time would pay off in spades for the Australian National Team.

Exciting times ahead, the Boomers made the right choice outside of signing Phil Jackson or Pat Reilly, GREAT NEWS!!!

Reply #230332 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Worthington NBA .............Pffft tell him he's dreaming

Reply #230335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wortho has already had try outs for NBA, dont see it too much of a stretch compared to other people in the league

Reply #230338 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Would Brown have that much influence in those sort of recruitment decisions?

Anyway he might see it as a conflict of interest?

As I mentioned in the other thread, the Spurs drafted George Hill last year so I doubt they would go for Mills this year.

Reply #230340 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

I reckon worthington could maybe one day have a look in but its a long long way off, he needs to leave the dragons, go to an average team where he can dominate offensively and maybe learn to handle the ball better. Probably a few others in front of him in the nbl to get a look at nba first.

Reply #230341 | Report this post

ostrich 47  
Years ago

Wonder who assisted in getting Shane and Andrew to the Spurs?? He must have some say!

Reply #230342 | Report this post

AndyOG  
Years ago

Juror 12, George Hill can be traded to another team like the Toronto Raptors or something.

Reply #230351 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Umm... I don't think Brown was at San Antonio when Gaze played there (if that is who you mean by Andrew!). And did Heal even play for the Spurs?

Reply #230375 | Report this post

ADVERTISER POLL: Was replacing Brian Goorjian with Brett Brown the right move?

Yes, bring on 2012!
82% (138 votes)
No, they should've picked Goorjian
17% (30 votes)
Total votes

Reply #230380 | Report this post

eric cook  
Years ago

yes,, no more coach against s.a players, maybe the sixers will finally get some guys playing for the boomers now, ie a naturalised Ballinger, Jacob if he gets back to prime, Aaaron Bruce if he takes his opportunites and Schensher if he stays.

Reply #230384 | Report this post

knarkley  
Years ago

apparently also the boomers r invited to play in the NBA summer league, maybe to do with browns contacts.

Reply #230387 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

I think Andyog is on the money - however - look at the nbl records of the 2. Brown in his 3 years at Sydney had them border line of the playoffs (he struggled). Goorg was amazing! Need i say how brilliant he was. As far as coaches go Goorg is the man!!

Now if Brett has an ulterior motive of using this position to give the Spurs 'Aussie cream of the crop' then this is a bad move. I'm sure he has learnt heaps in San Antonio but he cannot coach like Goorg!!

Brian Goorgian must have quit & called Brett to say 'please take this gig from me'.

Nba camps & pre season american crap - who cares. He cant coach like Goorg!!!!

Reply #230393 | Report this post

nickyg, Goorjian did not quit. He re-applied for the position (doing a Smyth) and was overlooked. If anyone was handing anyone lifelines, remember the lifeline Brown gave Goorjian in 2002 (the Sydney Kings). Goorjian's career was over and Brown resigned late to take the Spurs job and convinced the Kings to give Goorjian a shot.

Reply #230394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gorj has not been able to get success at international level, there is a good reason he was overlooked....

if after 2 attempts you dont succeed look elsewhere..
they needed to make the change, have the chance and hace taken it....

Reply #230398 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Not a christian lobbyist - I think you'll find Brett opted out of his contract after having no success & had an opportunity in the lucrative nba - which his Dad set up for him.

Goorg's career was only in limbo cos the Vic Titans went broke. At that point he had already had 12 top 4 finishes & 2 titles!

If Brett Brown moved over for him & threw him a lifeline then that just proves my point on who's the better coach. A club would have snapped him up, it would have been a question of when - no different to Gold Coast chasing Joey Wright as we speak.

If it is true he applied & was over looked then i think BA got it wrong. Especially after taking cellar dwellar Dragons from bottom to champs.

I just don't think you can sack this man!

Reply #230400 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Nickyg, Brown didn't got to a lucrative nba coaching deal, he went on a internship with the spurs and had to work his way up.

Reply #230410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An interesting quote from Mark Cowan in today's Australian:

While there is excitement about Brown's appointment at BA headquarters, Goorjian's employer at NBL club South Dragons, Mark Cowan, says it was likely an Asian nation would poach him to plot the Boomers' downfall at the next Olympics.

"While we have Brian under contract at club level, my biggest fear now is that he could be poached by another country," Cowan said yesterday. "We at the Dragons are disappointed Basketball Australia didn't see fit to reappoint him."

So...What IS Goorj doing in Japan this week?

Reply #230448 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

It's funny that nickyg is throwing out the theory that Brown is only interested in the gig so he can poach talent. I wonder how he/she reacted when people suggested that Goorj dangled the Boomers carrot in front of potential NBL recruits.

Reply #230453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course Cowan is disappointed. Now he's on the same playing field as the rest of the clubs. Going to cost him even more $$ to recruit the best Australian talent.

Goorj had his chance which he earned from his local results.

IMO he has failed dreadfully at International level and anyone who forced themselves to sit through the Boomers games would agree that it was the structure not the personnel that was the issue.

He should have been sacked after Athens, and definitely after the 2006 World Champs.

Goorj's style might work in the NBL but it simply does not work at International level, time for new ideas/new blood.

Reply #230470 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TC, good call mate, Goorjian is a good coach, but he has benefited from having very good players at his disposal most of the time.

Andy, hate to pour cold water on the idea of Aussies getting a go at one of the best franchises in the NBA, but none of those guys you mentioned are going to the Spurs (except at a stretch Wortho if the Spurs need a cheap replacement for Bonner or something).

No way Bogut would co-exist well enough with Duncan to make his salary worthwhile for the Spurs. They are much better off with a cheaper centre who can make the outside shot and thereby open up the middle for Timmy D.

Mills won't go to the Spurs because they already have Parker, and George Hill is looking pretty solid off the bench too. Better for Patty to go somewhere he has a shot at a starting job in a couple of years (though that seems unlikely unless he can sneak into the first round).

Actually, now I think about it, Atlanta would be a good team for Mills to go to! He'd have to beat out Acie Law, but I reckon he could do that easily and play as Bibby's backup on an athletic, up-tempo team that will be even better in a year or two when Bibby is ready to hang em up!

I'm afraid to say Ogilvy is not on any NBA teams radar either. Draft Express has dropped him from their 2009 mock draft entirely, and from what their scouting report said, he probably does not have the athleticism to succeed at that level. This is good for the NBL though, because I have very little doubt he will kick some ass down under.

As far as Brett Brown goes, I'm more interested in what new stuff he can bring to the table for Australian basketball, because we need it really badly. (See your comment about shuffle offence, anon's comment right before this one, and several others by me about team strategy on other threads).

Reply #230515 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

I remember and Its true that Brown gave Goorjian the job and selected that team that won a championship and rekindled his coaching career. OH l forgot that he became the boomers coach that year and then began poaching players.
That did help the next couple of years as well. Joey cant coach.Did he ever coach a team that did not cost less that 2 million or Oh did they coach themselves after 6 years and 14 million dollars from Eddie.
And now he is suing him????Come on.
Brown is a very good decision.
Bill

Reply #230516 | Report this post

Freddie  
Years ago

Brown is definately a great choice.Takes all the bias and a advantage away from recriuting players if you are coaching in the major league.
BB will also have a great understanding of the international game.Great decision.
FC

Reply #230544 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I disagree with Beantown's comments regarding AJ Ogilvy. The reason why he has dropped off the mock draft is that they believe he will not nominate for the draft until next year! (and if you checked fuirther - he is already slated to be selected 19th in 2010).

If he nominated this year, he would likely be a late first round pick. After an injury plagued season, that may well just be the case.

AJ has a well-rounded post game and knows how to get to the free throw line. He has range out to the 3-point line and the major question marks surround his ability to guard more athletic and quicker centres and power forwards, and his defensive rebounding.

He will definitely make it to the NBA - I have no doubt in my mind.

Reply #230547 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Spurs website: http://linky.com.au/08060

Reply #230569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to quote Oden08

"Umm... I don't think Brown was at San Antonio when Gaze played there (if that is who you mean by Andrew!). And did Heal even play for the Spurs?"

Not true. Brett was at the Spurs when they won a Championship 98-99 - Andrew gaze was on the roster, though not the playoff roster and he along with Brett both have NBA Championship rings

He came to the Sydney Kings from the Spurs and then left to return to the Spurs in 2002

from the Spurs website
" spent the 199899 season working in the Spurs basketball operations department & then returned to Australia as the head coach of the Sydney Kings "

Reply #230740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754