wak
Years ago

Sixers play for 3rd place next week

If Sixers beat Taipans in final round then 3rd place is the prize.

They lose then could drop to 6th due to series lost to Crocs and Tigers.

Go sixers!

Topic #1947 | Report this topic

cavalo  
Years ago

Just a little correction for you there - we are playing for second place next week depending on the results of the two Hawks games, one today (Pirates) and one next week (Kings). If they lose both, and then we beat Cairns (which we should as they are not playing too great and they play the night before in T/ville) then we will snatch second spot.

If the Hawks win one of two, then 2nd is out of reach (we would finish on the same record as Hawks but they own the season series on us after that ugly rugby match the refs let them play!).

Another correction, the lowest we can finish now is 5th as the Bullets already have 15 losses. Obviously if the Tigers and Crocs win their remaining games and we lose against Cairns then we will all finish on the same record (19-13), but we lost the season series to both teams so we would fall below them both - check the NBL ladder.

3rd spot is in our own hands...

2nd spot is in both ours and the hands of the Hawks (go you Pirates today and the Kings next week!)... =)

Reply #22095 | Report this post

crazyballer  
Years ago

Im pretty sure if what you say with the sixers losing their last game and Crocs and Tigers winning theirs. That if we are all tied on 19 13 we have a series split with melbourne so it goes on overall points percentage. It really depends on how much they win by in their last games so we shouldnt actually drop out of fourth even if we lose. Unless of course Adelaide lose dismally and Melbourne thrash their opponents in their last games. But hey if your a sixer fan, an unlikely scenario.

Reply #22100 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We can't finish lower than 4th I don't think. See the 36ers vs Brisbane thread.

Reply #22103 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Peoples, read the NBL website about how the playoffs work - there is a link underneath the ladder (full ladder).

If their is a season series tie, it goes on overall points scored between the two teams. Because Melbourne thrashed us twice, they are up on us by ten points so they have in effect won the season series IF we are tied with them on wins/losses at the end of the regular season.

So yes, we can still finish fifth, but my hopes are firmly pinned on two Hawks losses and a Sixers win handing us second spot on the ladder! GO YOU SIXERS!!! =)

Reply #22110 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Sorry Issac, you're right, the answer is in the 36ers vs Brisbane thread - damn it - there is someone smarter than me out there! Anyhoo, I have copied and pasted the relevant info from the NBL website below to read - can I suggest at least three reads, because now that I have read it for the THIRD time I understand it! Anyhoo, the conclusion is that the lowest we can now finish is fourth and the highest is second. Once again, refer the other thread and someone has put all the calculations on there - enjoy!

Tie-breakers to determine final standings for the playoffs:

If two or more teams are tied in terms of wins and losses at the end of the regular season, the following tie-breaking scenarios will be used:

1. Head-to-head records:
a. If two teams are tied, then the best-of-three head-to-head record between those two clubs will be used to determine who takes the high place on the ladder.

b. If three or more teams are tied, then the combined head-to-head records of just the tied teams will be used to determine the final order of those clubs on the ladder.

Note: If all the teams in the tied situation cannot be split through method '1.b', then method '2' must be the next stage of the tie-breaker process. For instance, if three teams were involved and after using method '1.b' two teams are still tied, the system does not refer back to method '1.a' to split those two teams. All three teams will move through to method '2' in the process.

2. Points Difference (head-to-head):
If a tie between three or more teams can't be wholly determined by the combined head-to-head record involving those sides, then the combined points difference from head-to-head games involving only teams involved in the tie will be used to determine the final order. Points difference is determined by subtracting a teams combined points conceded from their combined points scored in those games.

3. Points percentage (overall):
If teams still cannot be separated, then points percentage taken from the entire regular season will be used to determine final standings. This is done by dividing points scored by points conceded.

Reply #22111 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Quick Q, are these above rules are taken from last year?

As it mentions;
1. Head-to-head records:
a. If two teams are tied, then the best-of-three head-to-head record between those two clubs will be used to determine who takes the high place on the ladder.

In the case of the Sixers vs Tigers it was a four game series. I'm sure it would follow the same rules, just interesting to note that they havn't been updated.

Which poses the question if it is a three way tie with Sixers, Crocs and Tigers is it fair that the Sixers and Tigers have played each other 4 times but the crocs only played each 3 times, would throw the mini table out.

Reply #22137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure DJ. Very possible that their online info could not have been updated.

Reply #22139 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

How about that hey?

Hawks downed by Pirates so SECOND spot up for grabs - lets see if the Kings can knock Hawks off again.

Will be the only time in history that I'll actually be going for the Kings!

Reply #22158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754