curious
Years ago

Joyce to coach Hawks?

A possibility.
"Former Wollongong Hawks coach Brendan Joyce has emerged as a shock candidate to rejoin the club in the NewNBL."

Hawks Link

Topic #19474 | Report this topic

kcgone  
Years ago

Yes it is shocking that they would even consider him.

Reply #230522 | Report this post

owen  
Years ago

NEVER - curious you should know of all people that Brendan has cost himself of securing any coaching job in this country. Looks like he is working his son and himself in for the new Sydney team? Any news on that front?

Reply #230523 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Isn't that article a day late?

Reply #230525 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

D Joyce is playing as well for the Comets as he did for the Blaze. ;)
Last game I think he was 1/ 113pa and 5 /23?.
Comets lost by 6.
Game over.
Joyce will be lobbying hard for any job going.
If the Kings ever get back in I can almosy guarantee Joyce wont get the job.

Reply #230528 | Report this post

owen  
Years ago

I think 280,000 people in Wollongong can guarantee that Brendan won't get a job with the hawks. ;)

Reply #230530 | Report this post

NOL'd  
Years ago

I'm with Dicko.

Reply #230534 | Report this post

Freddie  
Years ago

Joyce was fantastic for the Hawks ( 2 x Grand finals under the salary cap) and has one of the best ever records of coaching in the NBL.He also took the Blaze to the play offs in their first year.
I have been told that he will not apply to coach Wollongong or a Sydney team and he will be staying on the coast as his kids are finishing high school.
FC

Reply #230539 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

You have to replace Cooks with somebody. He cannot coach. He would howevever be a good 2ic under an experienced head coach.

Danial Joyce is an average ABA player & the sooner Chocco admits this & stops getting angry about it the better off they both will be.

Reply #230540 | Report this post

Freddie  
Years ago

Its fact , joyce will not go for any of those jobs. I thought l seen DJ hit a huge pressure 3 game winner and carve the Hawks up in the Nbl in 3 of their 4 games.Get off the kids back. He is really great young player and he had a excellent NBL season last year and his numbers bcak it up.He will keep improving.
FC

Reply #230543 | Report this post

NOL'd  
Years ago

Is that you Freddie Joyce?

Reply #230546 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

D Joyce Comets stats.
Min FG 3 Points Free Throws Rebounds AS TO STL Blocks Fouls Pts

32:29 2/13 15 2/9 22 0/2 0 2 2 4 5 2 0 1 1 3 4 6
Lighting up the Waratah League thats for sure.

Min 2PA 2PM 2P% 3PA 3PM 3P% FTA FTM FT% FGM FGA FG% AS BL ST TO OR DR TR PFS Pts
32:29 4 - 0.0 9 2 22.2 2 - 0.0 2 13 15.4 5 1 - 2 2 2 4 3 6
37:23 10 4 40.0 11 1 9.1 - - 0.0 5 21 23.8 4 - 5 1 1 - 1 5 11
2 games played.
70 min
4/14 2pa
3/21 3pa = 7/35 = 20%

2 fouls, 0-2 fta.
9 ass, 1 Bl,5St, 3to, 5 rb 8 fL for 17 PTS

Underwhelming to say the least.
AS a 4 point player (hahaha) in the NBL, DJ should dominate in the Waratah at the very least.
The stats do indeed speak for themselves.

Reply #230550 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Freddie

Come off it??? what ever your on.

DJ is a good 5-10 min back up player in training at NBL level at best.

The 2 finals he took us to we had a very well paid team.

Reply #230552 | Report this post

Clips  
Years ago

Joyce jnr is turd. In efficiency per 48 mins, he's not even top 100, pretty hard to do in a league with only 10 teams.

Vs the Hawks in 08/09, he has played an average of 27:41, for 8.2 ppg at 44% (12/27) fgs, 38% (8/21) 3's, !!! 18% (2/11) ft, 2.2 boards, 2 assist, and 1.5 to.

The Blaze's defensive player of the year also averaged 0 steals and .25 blocks, along with 2.5 fouls.

Reply #230611 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Blind Freddie.

Reply #230613 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

GORDIE MCLEOD

Reply #230617 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

it really could be a great fairy tale story.....the return of the prodigal son etc

what was it,other than dj, that got brendan so off side with the people of the gong???
he is a fiery character, but he is also an aussie wearing his heart on his sleeve!!
he also got caught up in the whole nepitism thing,which certainly didnt help.

he is guilty of putting shit rosters together these days,he had a knack of getting cheapish rosters to over achieve for him.
those days are long gone in the nbl and brendan fell hook,line and sinker with that last one he put together and drove himself mad with it.

i can sense a fairy tale un-folding!!

Reply #230622 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Can't see why anyone would pick up Joyce??

Just as I can't see Phil comming back at the 36ers Joyce won't be back at the Hawks.

Even forzen food has a useby date.

Reply #230642 | Report this post

Bozo  
Years ago

Harvey's operation on his wrist day before game 1
and the pin dislodgement during game 2, (he had 20 points)
helped the Hawks getting to their GF games.
Always wondered what would have happened if Grace and Harvey had been 100%. So does BJ.

Reply #230658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #230661 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

And who could forget those flukey Lowery free throws on "that call" made against Mee.

Reply #230719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and what could have been an offensive foul on Saville but the real kick in the balls was the 36ers not being allowed to line up at the FT line. Plus the Lowery call was crap.

A very low point in the NBL's history was the Hawks semi-final win over the 36ers in the deciding Game 3 in 2001.

Reply #230728 | Report this post

Bozo  
Years ago

Any one see the small article in the "Courier Mail" today (I think)???
Joey Wright and the Rat signed up for the Blaze (multi years but that means or worth nothing) and taking the ex-Bullets' manager as well.

Reply #230737 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Big Joe in the loop again. ;)
Good luck to them all.

Reply #230753 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

I hear Coach Joyce is not going back to the Hawks.Mcleod is tipped to take over from Coach Cooks.In regard to DJ , he had a really good year and his NBL stats are very good and thats tough at that level.No one else can shoot it or pass it for him.
I dont know what the fuss is.He is really good young player andhas great all round game.
Jack

Reply #230760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ will not get an NBL role unless his dad is coaching. End of story

Reply #230762 | Report this post

Paul Parra  
Years ago

I was told Joyce is not applying for the Hawks job.
I have been reading some of the comments about Dan J.
I watched my team Parramatta play the Comets last night.Dan J was incredible.I thought l was watching a new import.He he aint shit, like hell, he was the shit.
He got 41 points and shot 12 3s from 15.
4 of them was from NBA.He must of learned something from Heal.He could of had 20 assists but only got 9.Plus he plays D.
This kid is hell of a player.I checked his stats in the NBL season and found he was top 52 in scoring and top 20 in 3s and assists.
I think you got to give credit where its due and appreciate his play for a young kid as we aint got too many good young ones. I spoke to him after the and congratulated him . I was surprised how quiet he was. He just said thanks.

Reply #230774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he doesn't like you...

Reply #230775 | Report this post

Shannon  
Years ago

nice try parrapaul or is it freddie or is it gcDave or maybe ccarlin. you really should alter your writing style to make it seem more real. do you really expect people to believe you thinking he was an import in the same sentence as saying brendan wont be applying to coach hawks. surely if you had the foresight to ask about that you'd know who the 'import' really is.

Reply #230783 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Wow, 41 points after getting 17 in the last 2 games is a great turn around. About time.

His NBL stats are pathetic.
He's rated a 4 point NBL player and thats about 3 points to many.
In terms of his Points he is about in the bottom 10 in the NBL.
Why couldn't he do that in the previous 2 games?
Sigle handely he lost a game last week.
Pathetic.
Yet to even suggest he isn;tbeing paid is even more pathetic.
DJ touted himself across so many ABA clubs.
The only reason he got a job was because of the injury to one of the Comets players.
NFI what Wazz is thinking.

Reply #230797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not a fan of DJ's, but he's still lifted his average to almost 20 PPG. And a rating of 4 is probably about on the mark.

Reply #230800 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754