vanexel31
Years ago

Patty Mills expected to declare for draft

Read this on hoopshype.com

-St. Mary's guard Patrick Mills will announce he's declaring for the draft next week, without hiring an agent, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Topic #19498 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

without an agent is the telling part

Reply #230820 | Report this post

ron burgundy  
Years ago

what round at where is he looking at going?

Reply #230822 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

St Mary's have been in his ear to return next year

Reply #230829 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nominate, not hire an agent and test the waters.. Good move..

Reply #230834 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

he need an agent, things get out of hand without one. they need to remember they're basketball players, leave the business side of things to their agents

Reply #230835 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

not hiring an agent is the smart move. He can then head back to St Mary's if it doesn't look like he'll go 1st round.

Reply #230842 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

what is he studying?

Reply #230869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do you really need a agent anyway for a rookie contract? its all fixed is it not? i can see where one comes in handy for other deals but i bet you could get by with a lawers help every now and then.

Reply #230870 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

but without a agent he can return to the NCAA, with one, he has gone pro no matter what...

Reply #230874 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good call from Patty to keep his options open for now. Draft Express are listing him as first pick in the 2nd round at the moment. So he has moved up the pecking order since his successful return from injury, but is still not in guaranteed contract territory.

Now he will find out if there is any team out there especially interested in him, or whether there is a consensus that he has some things to work on and should go back to college. I suspect it will be the latter, but perhaps someone will be willing to take him first round, rather than wait until next year when there might be a lot more competition for him?

Reply #230881 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Plus he gets the opportunity to work out for teams and learn more about what's expected of him in time for next seasons draft.

Definitely the right way to go about it.

Reply #230884 | Report this post

Shhh...  
Years ago

Smart move.

There are already plenty of teams interested in him. He has already played in front of no less than 12 NBA scouts earlier this season.

Reply #230906 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

ExWhyZee, i think he is studying business. It doesn't specify on the Gaels website, but I think he is studying business. Can anyone confirm?

Reply #230910 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

The best thing an Agent does is organise workouts, get into the ear of scouts and guage team's interest and also arrange one on one interviews.

He'll rely on someone acting as agent but not being paid - Ian Stacker did this for Newley on his first trip over there.

Reply #230914 | Report this post

crowfan  
Years ago

@ SKUX, yep, patty is studying a business related degree.

Reply #230916 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

In regards to workouts and interviews, A lot of the time coach or one the coaches helps the player out with this kind of stuff. I think in Patty's case a lot of them would be contacting him for workouts

Reply #230925 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

agent have a little greater role than that, they also help teams highlight key strength and weaknesses of their clients. also outlining any notable works their clients have done and who with.

is he going 1st round at this stage? my sources are telling me unlikely and he better off finish college. even if he does go 1st round it is likely it'll be a low 1st round, which may have him drafted with a contender; where most will have an established guard and possibly solid backup already. in this case he can very well turn out into a J-Critt.

I know all this sound pretty negative for the Aussies but look at the amass talent in NCAA tournament there really are some equally talented and athletic guard in same class to Mills. A strength Mills does have over many however is he is a better shooter.

Reply #230940 | Report this post

brett kirk  
Years ago

Here's a link to story, not confirmed yet however:
http://linky.com.au/mk1yf

Reply #230964 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

millsy is good .. he show CP3 wats up in the olympics

Reply #231261 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754