Starks
Years ago

OneHD v FoxSports = No Brainer

I was sitting on the couch with the missus watching the opening games of the Australian Netball League on One HD on the weekend (a trade off so I could watch the F1 that evening) and I realised that the netball league has accomplished everything basketball in this country desperately needs to.

1.FTV TV coverage. Live games.
2.Support of Grass Roots Clubs.
3.Integration of the league with the National Team.

They have LIVE games on free to air TV. With the introduction of OneHD I no longer need to go and get a subscription to Fox (and I figure there will be many like me who have reached the same conclusion). With OneHD I have all the basketball I need (except local). I have F1 and MotoGP in prime time and AFL games galore.
The nNBL MUST get games on this channel. I imagine there must be heaps of air time up for grabs. There is a netball game on tonight&

I was also impressed with the concept of the "Player of the Game" having $1000 donated to her junior club by the league sponsor. The elite sport is supporting the grass roots. A GREAT idea and one that the nNBL should adopt immediately.

The amount of times that the national team members were identified as such by the commentators during the telecast was impressive. The fact that Netball has a strong international competitor in New Zealand right next door is a bonus. They can hold regular international tests with some of the best talent in the world on show.
Basketball Australia needs to bring the national team into the same sort of focus and consciousness. We are at a disadvantage in trying to bring quality opposition to these shores but it needs to happen. South America springs to mind. Imagine a five test series between Argentina and Australia played in Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.

Topic #19505 | Report this topic

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

I would l like to know who owns the netball teams?
Private or association?

Reply #230871 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

That is a very good question. My guess would be the Association.

The other thing that impressed me was the amount of advertising featuring players that appeared during the telecast.

Sure, you don't see these adds in any other timeslot, but you don't need to. As an advertiser you're reaching your target market, plus the players get paid for the endorsement.

Reply #230877 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

One HD's coverage of a number of sports so far has been outstanding.

The netball is a prime example, and the promotion of it is first class.

The NBA and the college games is obviously packaged by the US broadcaster, but it is also first rate.

The F1 coverage was fantastic and I'm not even a follower of motor sport!

If you have not already seen it, make sure you try and catch "Thursday Night Live" this week. Whilst ti was their first effort last week and it lacked a little polish, the concept was outstanding and it showed heaps of promise. They covered a huge range of sports in such little time and it was done quite well. Well worth the effort IMO.

I hope they pick up the NBL as it would b in my eyes the icing on the cake.

I already love my One HD. I watched live NBA basketball this morning whilst I was eating my breakfast - it certainly makes Monday morning's a whole lot better!

Reply #230879 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

One HD by 4 points in OT

Reply #230895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was thinking over the weekend that OneHD should add a results ticker to their broadcast, but would spoilers be an issue for some people?

It's just that the promos advertise it as being the place to get the latest news and results but you're hardly getting any of that when you're tuned into a multi-hour block of motor racing.

Reply #230902 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

LC, I thought the Thursday night show was pretty average. Would need to improve a fair bit for me to watch it regularly.

The NBA is great, watching basketball in HD is awesome. GP was good last night, except for the rain.

Hopefully I can catch the new footy show on at 7pm tonight.

It is great that a FTA channel is changing the face of TV in Oz.

Hopefully the other channels catch up. I noted 7 last night had the news on at half time of the footy, why not show it on one of the other digital channels and please everybody (everybody with HD TV that is).

Reply #230912 | Report this post

Kelvination  
Years ago

Completely agree with Starks.

The NBL would be better off with even just one game on OneHD than it would be with all games shown live on Fox.

How many people have Fox?

Of that, what percentage of that would be casual viewers of NBL?

My Dad gets it for NRL and the Crime Channel
His buddy has it for Golf.
t
My Neighbor has all the Sport channels, but barely watches Basketball. Cricket and Rugby are pretty much his staples (being South African)

People on this message board would argue otherwise, and as a long time NBL follower i think 4 games per week would be great, but being stuck on Fox with a minute audience is not going to grow the sport.

Being on OneHD will also probably lead to more primetime news coverage, as is the case with F1, Netball and now even Drag Racing on Ten News. I'd forgotten the F1 was on at 6pm yesterday on OneHD until it was mentioned during the Ten news / sports tonight early edition thing.

It's all hypothetical until an approach is made by between OneHD and the NBL or Vice Versa.

Reply #230918 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

In response to ExWhyZee's question, according to my missus, the netball teams are owned by their respective state organisations.
Its a licence system (similar to the AFL) and at the moment, each state can have only 1 team
The state orgs are responsible for the admin of the teams (incl sponsorship acquisition) but if they can't get sponsors they must financially support the team.

Reply #230927 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Just an observation,

My mother and father wanted to make their old TV receive the new sports channel one HD. I said they should look at upgrading to an LCD that has a tuner in it. This was met with "We do not need a new TV".

I went to source a HD set top box and found that 5 shops in Southern area had sold out. I wonder if people are buying these just for the sports channel.

I'm a massive fan of channel one HD

Reply #230930 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Loving OneHD.

The F1 coverage was the best to date by any FTA network.

They didn't butcher qualifying and somewhat paused it when they went to ads. The race itself is always going to be interrupted by ads so can't complain too much about that, maybe integrated ads like the Nascar do is something we can look forward to? Where they make the action smaller and run a big basic ad but u can still see whats going on in race.

A results ticker is a great idea, BUT would only hurt their replay viewing audience I would believe. People are less likely to watch a replay if they know the results.

Reply #230931 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Kelvination- fully agree with you on the whole NBL should be on FTA thing. I believe that's how netball has gone to a seemingly successful start this season. the marketing from OneHD seems to have really filled some seats for them.

NBL needs to be smart, so what NBL will televise more games, FTA is much more important.

Reply #230938 | Report this post

tank  
Years ago

one is great and its free go one

Reply #230947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all areas in Australia can receive the ONE HD channel.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/03/one-hd-sc10-foxtel-fess-up.html/comment-page-1

Reply #230949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Until 10 and it's regional affiliates in SE SA and Western Victoria get their S&^% together and broadcast One (HD or SD, I don't care) Austar and Fox Sports will continue to rock my world

Reply #230959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know I got a hd box earlier last year just for the NFL and the F1, saves having to watch the race start at 11pm when you can see the whole race to completion by then.

Just cant speak any higher for Ten with what they have done on the digital side of things. I would be interested to see how their programs are rating.

Reply #230961 | Report this post

want some candy?  
Years ago

Firstly let me say One is great because it keeps Fox Sports honest. I've got Foxtel but they won't let you see One yet unless you upgrade to the IQ2. Anyway I went around to my brother's place today to watch Nash and the Suns disgrace themselves against the Mavs and I have to say it does look good on a big LCD TV.

I'm not keen on One getting exclusive rights for the NBL as FTA have a poor track record when it comes to second-tier sports. The worst possible thing for the NBL would be to be signed up with Channel Ten exclusively and for them to possibly do what Channel 7 did to the NSL (sit on it, refuse to show any games except the Grand Final). Fox Sports need to fill three channels (rumoured a fourth one is on the way) and don't "sit" on sports.

The best possible outcome would be to sign up exclusively with Fox Sports to that big five year deal and then do the proposed "leasing" of a couple of games a week to One. Everyone wins.

Reply #230973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you know you can still view ONE even if you have Foxtel right? No need to go around to someones house, just switch the AV's.

Reply #230980 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

If you have a set top box or in built HD tuner.
Perhaps he has a older TV and fox sports.

Reply #231005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OneHD is fantastic and it does make the NBA look outstanding but they need to fix the audio problem which seems to come through somewhat quieter than everything else.

Also an interesting choice of colours for the logo. I get the idea behind it but I don't quite think they've pulled it off. Their F1 graphics are terrible.

Reply #231194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out eBay for Toppy's TF7000HT, it'll bring back some life to your old tele.

Reply #231482 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754