Nick
Years ago

Spalding Beast or Platinum 52 inch - thoughts?

Hey people,
I'm a newbie here - just wondering if anyone has had any direct experience with the Spalding 60 inch Beast portable basketball system or the Platinum 52 inch portable system?

I need to get one - however am concerned that most of them sway and wobble a bit here and there. I presume the beast or the platinum would be pretty sturdy - but am just wondering if anyone has any absolute direct experience messing around with one?

BEAST = http://www.armandosports.com.au/spalding-beast-60-basketball-system-p-580.html

Platinum = http://www.armandosports.com.au/spalding-platinum-series-52-basketball-system-p-24.html

Cheers in advance!

Nick

Topic #19521 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

All portable systems will sway and wobble a bit. I have a Platinum 52" model and it is awesome!

Reply #231074 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

One is 45kgs the other is 166kgs... I think that decides which is there more sturdy

Reply #231086 | Report this post

IGOTMADSKILLS  
Years ago

i have the inground one m8 on the site(purchased from rebel at marion) and that is brilliant but obviously you cant move it around, no sway no wobble, you can hang on the rim, true bounce and looks awesome.

Id go the beast if you are willing to pay the cash as it will last for years if you look after it.

Reply #231089 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Thanks for your replies!

LC - does it wobble much or is it barely noticeable and does the ball bounce off of it pretty truthfully?

Ideally I would buy the beast - but nowhere in adelaide sells it so I wouldnt be able to see it until it were delievered.....Rebel arent allowed to stock it for some reason.

Also - there is over $1000 in price difference. If the platinum is generally pretty good for just practicing shooting and layups etc I may as well go with that?

Reply #231113 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Igotmadskills - does the inground require concreting or does it have a sleeve?

That'd be ideal

Reply #231114 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm happy with the way the ball bounces off the backboard and rim - although when my shooting is errant the ball sometimes heads over the neighbours fence! It is not far off what a standard backboard and rim behave. If anything the backboard is slightly more "dead".

There is not much wobble if you hit the rim or the glass. If you want to hang from the rim, the Platinum is not the way to go!

Reply #231120 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

i dunk on that one (double handed slam)the beast - and it's not too bad .. but then again I'm just a little guy - don't know how it will go if you're a 7 footer

Reply #231270 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Just bought The Beast basketball system from Sportsmart in Melbourne- $1499- most amazing performance ever. True bounce, sturdy- can't beat a glass baord

Reply #293229 | Report this post

Packo  
Years ago

Call Dale from Sportfirst Hervey Bay.

We bought 2 beasts for competition court for $1k each.

Can't buy cheaper anywhere & as they are a premium dealer in qld they can ship direct to you anywhere in Aus (including Adelaide) for $50

Reply #434599 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

FYI - I rang Dale today (April 2018) in response to the above post so many years ago. Was very helpful. He says hi and notes that the best time to buy is just before Christmas. Worth giving him a call if you're in the market for a backboard.

Reply #686375 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Does anyone have experience or advice on portable basketball systems?

Beast seems the best, but Goalrilla seems decent, how is the experience between glass and acrylic?

How long should I expect a portable unit to last based on limited dunking and generally looking after it?

Reply #763612 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754