cavalo
Years ago

Hawks vs Pirates

Without any concrete info yet, it looks like the Hawks went down to the Pirates in 2 OT's, 140-135. What a game it must have been! Am waiting now for the match report which hopefully will come up in an hour or so, but a boxscore will come through first.

Anyhoo, IF that is the final score, looks like the Sixers are only one win against Cairns and one more Hawks loss against Sydney from taking 2nd place!!!! GO YOU SIXERS! =)

Topic #1953 | Report this topic

cavalo  
Years ago

Yep, that is the final folks - just checked Sportal.

Top scores - Franklin with 45 for the Pirates and Saville with 34 for the Hawks!

Reply #22125 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah that would have been a great game to see double OT, and the win going our way. Cross your fingers we win again and the hawks loose to the kings. That would be a huge boost for the boys.

Reply #22135 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

We can only hope the final week of the season goes as well as in 2002 when we won the championship.

While we played unbelievably well in the play-offs that year to win the championship, I don't know if we could have done it without the amazing way all the results fell into place during the final week of the season (eg Canberra who hadn't won a road game beating West Sydney who hadn't lost a home game) that set us up for a 3rd place finish instead of a sixth place that was expected before the round.

Finishing second would be a huge advantage as not only would we avoid the one game knock out final but we would have home court advantage against say Wollongong or Townsville in the semi finals.

Go Adelaide and go Sydney this weekend.

Reply #22136 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What are peoples thoughts about the Taipans handing us the win next week. They have absolutely nothing to gain out of winning that one as it is impossible for them to make number 8. On the other hand, a win for the Sixers could make all the difference to the championship. Does good sportsmanship extend that far?

Reply #22151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Players are still fighting for 2005/06 contracts, so I don't think they'll give up. They lost narrowly to the Breakers today and face the Crocs next who're on a 9-game winning streak. Hopefully they're exhausted by the time we play them, but I'd hate for them to relax and let us have the win without a fight.

Reply #22152 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

EC - It may be considered good sportmanship from our perspective, but as a Hawks fan or player I'd be livered if Cairns gave it to us on a platter!! If anything it would be considered bad sportsmanship by the basketball public. Would be nice but I can't see it happening.

Reply #22153 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Would be good for publicity though, imagine the stink reported on all the news, Fox, and Sports Tonight.

The controversy!

Reply #22159 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Cairns will be putting up a fight for sure. Its tough to win up there and they will be playing for their contracts next year some of them, it wont be no gimme thats for sure

Reply #22163 | Report this post

warrior  
Years ago

i didnt think they'd be putting up a fight at all. and its not easy to win up there. should win comfortably. thier players wont be thinking about next year kriss; they'd be thinking about the 5th quarter at the local pub!

Reply #22193 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Yeah, if they were social players for sure they would be thinking of the pub. Come on these guys play basketball for their living, how hard would you be playing if your contract ran out at the end of the game?

Reply #22232 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Their last game won't make any difference to next year's contracts. They would be decided on the whole season performance. Too late now to change anything.

Reply #22234 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

So what they wont play for pride? If thats the case their a team of bums

Reply #22257 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they let a game go, fans will desert them. EC, you're getting too desperate with your hope here.

If the Sixers can't win it with Cairns playing their full game, we don't deserve the chance at second spot. And maybe we'll struggle against the other finals-bound teams.

Reply #22260 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Not making the top 8 is more likely to turn the fans away. I hope not because they've got a good passionate crowd up there.

Reply #22307 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754