LC
Years ago

Finally: New BA Website

Basketball Australia have flicked the switch this morning on their new website (SportingPulse), and on face value it looks very good and a huge improvement on the old Interfuse version (which I guess wasn't that hard).

www.basketball.net.au

Linky: http://linky.com.au/0ngm1

What do people think...I'm going to have a play around before I pass judgement.

Topic #19530 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

Looks like a grade 3 school project and it sucks bad!

Reply #231211 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Haha Dicko- are you getting in before the other knockers?

Reply #231213 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

OK....

I like the way the logo works into the Boomers and Opals logos.....I assume the NBL and WNBL will do something similar. I HOPE SO. I also love the variant on the logo that used as a background to the site. Overall, now I see the logo in use, I am VERY happy with it.

I hate that we still get linked to the crappy NBL site and I hope that will be morphed into the new layout as well.

I love the "when" series of videos on the Boomers and Opals and I like the overall look and feel of the site as it currently is.

Isaac can run his designers eye over it now and tell me all the reasons I am wrong :-).

Reply #231217 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

how dumb can they possibly get? why get an unknown young kid to shoot a non-factor freethrow? I mean Seamus probably paid for it since the kid was wearing a Tigers singlet.

But come on let's be smart with marketing for now on, let's try focus on good branding of certain players within each team. It would've been much better if somebody lke Barlow was on the video instead of a little kid out of nowhere.

And plus, is junior's basketball actually the one struggling?

Reply #231221 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I love the new website it looks good and I also love the "when" videos, now they just need to get them on TV

Reply #231224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it in general - has a better "feel" to it than the old site. Just think they need a bit more attention to detail. Dicko points out the use of the brand in the Boomers and Opals pages, but the problem is, the logo then takes on different dimensions, with different fonts and colours. From a branding sense, I always thought that creates brand confusion. Just simple things like making sure the logo on the boomers page is same dimension as the main basketball logo.

A bit picky, but I think it all adds up to how professional and scmick peoples perception of basketball admin is.

Reply #231227 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

how dumb can they possibly get? why get an unknown young kid to shoot a non-factor freethrow? I mean Seamus probably paid for it since the kid was wearing a Tigers singlet.

But come on let's be smart with marketing for now on, let's try focus on good branding of certain players within each team. It would've been much better if somebody lke Barlow was on the video instead of a little kid out of nowhere.

And plus, is junior's basketball actually the one struggling?

And how would that sell the "everyone's game" concept.

I think it's deliberately done that way to show it's appeal to all, not just 6 foot 6 athletes.

Reply #231228 | Report this post

Alamo  
Years ago

Its 1000 times better than the old one, but the content is still pretty hollow.

With all the time in the 'reveiw' proccess, could they not ensure it was loaded as aposed to 'lots of menu headers, but limited content in them'.

The video sucks and is super lame.
What about having a mix of 'everyone' @ MSAC hoopin on different rims;
Couple NBL guys on one, a few WNBL chicks on another, some wheelies crashin and bangin, a few aussie hoops kids with parents, a few state kids & them bring them all into one at the end and show a united vision....?

And spend some cash on a real film company with an idea of 2009!?!

Reply #231232 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Alamo- I like that MSAC idea lol (maybe in the very far back you'd see me working too! lol)

DICKO- the question is, what's struggling? Juniors or Pro? I understand where you're coming from but for this same reason I tend to think their approach is wrong since basketball is already one of the most participated game in the country ahead of many other more professionally successful sport such as football.

as I've said in other threads basketball in Australia miss a face/icon. Without one it simply isn't going to work. With no cricket/AFL knowledge whatsoever I can still name a few guys but I bet it won't be the same from basketball stand point.

Reply #231233 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

why couldn't they have both a young kid and a Boomer playing horse, similar to the Michael Jordan and Larry Bird Nike add. They could of had the kid winning.

Another idea: Have the kid going one on one against the boomer with the kid scoring everyplay and then near the end have a wide shot of the gym where the kid is actually training 1v0 against himself to try and reach the NBL.

Reply #231237 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nice asd - love that last idea!

Reply #231240 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

asd, I also love the last idea.
Another idea (this comes from personal experience) a kid or a couple are shooting in a gym and boomer/opal comes up and ask if the can shoot around. These ideas really push the new logo

Reply #231242 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I understand the need for Advertising but to me the most dominating feature of the home page is the white scrolling ad for vogue.com.au

Surely they could have made advertising a bit more subtle?

Reply #231243 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

asd, you better patent that ad mate..nice one.

Reply #231247 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I quite like the site so far. I think the logo and colours look good. Major current events - the Brown and Sengstock appointments and the release of the new brand are prominent on the homepage so I instantly know about them without having to navigate the site.

Unlike plenty of sites that drive me crazy these days, the main menu options of Boomers, Opals, NBL and WNBL are front and centre so I can go straight to the section I want without having to search.

I tried out the 'find your local basketball associations' link which instantly took me to a contact list of all the local teams and stadiums I might want to contact.

I was able to find out some information about the Boomers upcoming schedule, some good results for several Boomers players I hadn't heard - particularly David Andersen's 22 point game in the Barca v Madrid mega-derby!!!

The videos promoting the Boomers (WHen #2, etc) are heading in the right direction by trying to create a sense of pride and wonder in the exploits of our national team, but need slicker imagery and some better one liners IMO (ie, compare them to the NBA 'where amazing happens' videos and they fall a bit flat). Still, they ALMOST got my emotions going about our national team for a sec!

Yes, this was a relatively cursory look, but the most important thing to me is that it looked fine and I could find out a lot of useful information I would expect to find if I was visiting the BA site.

Reply #231250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, that's the big beef of mine. Advertising is obviously a way to monetise a website (Hoops is no exception), but the advertising on BA's site is simply too dominant. Skip to a sub page and you have the large banner and a large square - they're the most dominant visual elements on the sub pages.

Instead, the site could be co-branded with established advertisers which would (IMO) provide a better experience for users and better results for the advertisers.

It reminds me of the NBL site when it was run by News Ltd (I think) years and years ago, 8-10 years ago maybe? Black background and orange lines? Anyone else remember that?

The intro video was a bit weak and not at all immersive - could they have worked with a shoe sponsor to come up with something better? The Nike Asia (I think) ad that Darren Ng was in with the invisible ball and chalk dust was quite cool for anyone who saw that.

I think the BA logo is a 7 out of 10 but that's my favourite part of this site. While the adaptation to Boomers/Opals branding could be more consistent, it's still more appealing than much of the rest of the site.

Go to the Boomers, past the headshot (which should be right-aligned) and down to the ugly Sporting Pulse box scores - click on a game date to see the boxscore: Internal Server Error. Hopefully they can fix that.

Really hate listing gripes whenever basketball airs something new, but I think this could've been better. It beats the Interfuse effort, but yeah...

I'd be interested to know if they used external designers or if it was entirely in-house at Sporting Pulse (where design and visual grids appear to be pretty alien to employees).

Reply #231255 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just realised that they've hidden more content under a select box on the right side of the top nav bar - why hide it away? It's 2009 - people stopped doing that years ago.

Of the five main nav items (Boomers, Opals, NBL, WNBL, Latest News), two of them link off-site without any prior indication - that's a mistake.

Title tags are poor. For Latest News, it's just that - not "Latest News from Basketball Australia".

Didn't see logos of major supporters (Peak, etc) until I found the About BA page.

Looks like basketball.net.au still points to the old site so they need to check their DNS settings perhaps?

Reply #231259 | Report this post

Dunks  
Years ago

Whoever picked that BORING font is a dooshbag.

Reply #231272 | Report this post

Same crap, different lay out! Still just as boring, just looks little prettier; though harder to navigate!!

Reply #231274 | Report this post

Kelvination  
Years ago

Haven't got time to have a hard look..

Here's snippets i twittered (@KEVY47)

New BBAust site: video too small, all thumbnails diff sizes, terrible main menu, font too small. Not many photos
about 2 hours ago from TwitterFox

New BBAust site - cont'd: NBL / WNBL should be icons not in menu. The list drop down is 1997. It's a shame the ads dominate the whole site
about 2 hours ago from TwitterFox

Reply #231275 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I love asd's ad idea. I was thinking something similar -- same basic opening concept, but a very different and quite irreverent ending (1 on 1 with a kid and Boomer, with kid pulling off a few prayer shots, culminating in a second Boomer coming from nowhere above the rim to swat the kid's last shot into the stands) -- but asd's idea totally usurped that in greatness.

asd's idea ticks all the boxes and makes the current BA ad on the front page seem extremely bland. The current ads are definitely going in the right direction, but they are missing that little something that really makes an impact.

Reply #231276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems similar in feel to BNZ

Reply #231280 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A kid drinking from a water bottle and then shooting a free throw (followed by the weird celebration) - are there many things about the sport that are less-exciting?

I'm sure it's meant to show the kid putting in the hard yards and all but what kid is ever attracted to the sport because they want to shoot hundreds of free throws in an empty stadium?

Reply #231283 | Report this post

Copez  
Years ago

successfull freethrow in front of no one then celebrating - i don't get it.

Reply #231308 | Report this post

Alamo  
Years ago

the cleaner cheered to....

Reply #231322 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Atleast the site looks the part now. The real test will be the content available from it moving forward.

You guys should all ease up.

Reply #231349 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

Well I sent my idea to BA and got a response back straight away which was most appreciated by me.

Idea: An up and coming junior 14-15 year old playing one on one against Brad Newley (Or other Boomer) in an old gymnasium. The kid is beating the boomer over and over again. Whilst he is beating him he is talking about what he is doing. "John crosses Newley up and Scores" (example). Near the end of advert the screen goes to widescreen and the kid is alone on the court, training against himself to try and reach the NBL.

Here was the response: Thanks for your suggestion. It is greatly appreciated I have included my team so that the idea can be captured as part of many that will assist us to get the best outcome for our ad campaign for the coming season,

Many thanks it is great that the basketball community is keen to contribute.

Well I will wait and see if this idea gets a go. I hope it does.

Reply #231368 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good to hear that ,asd.
Well done to you and BA.

Reply #231370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754