Copez
Years ago

Henry sacked by Wildcats

Conner henry sacked - beveridge likely replacement.

http://linky.com.au/nrny3

Topic #19541 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

But he ticked all the right boxes
American Accent:check
Heaps of Tech Fouls:check

Reply #231383 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

If Beveridge gets the job, we will actually see how good he really is. He will inherit a very good roster, owner with deep pockets and a great baketball community supporting him. I just really want to see how good this guy is?(with all the tools in place)

Reply #231386 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Deep pockets? I would have thought the Wildcats roster would have been one of the more closer to legit than most on court.

Reply #231393 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'Deep pockets? I would have thought the Wildcats roster would have been one of the more closer to legit than most on court.'

refering to having full support from a weathly(secure) owner willing to pay for a winning team/culture.

Reply #231396 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

cant believe he got the job in the first place!!

Reply #231398 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Who, Henry? Why wouldn't you promote an assistant that had formed a winning partnership in his two years as 2IC?

Reply #231399 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At the time of his appointment, I thought he was worth a go but don't think he did enough last season to lock in another year. Perth were strong the season before despite some average imports and really should've been set for some upgrades and more success - what was the verdict from those at the games? Was Hinson an issue?

Reply #231405 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

As I have said on other forums, Henry had it in his mind from the start that everyone would be rotated frequently, and you could see players not been given a chance to get in to a rhythm. I don't think he deserves another shot either, but I am more surprised that his rotation system wasn't scrapped earlier in the year. It's not like the CEO didn't know basketball.
Hinson wasn't a superstar, nor was he a complete dud, but his play was consistently inconsistent, just like the rest of the team.

Reply #231409 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Wow, what a surprise.
NOT.
Certainly will be interested to see if Bevo can coach with the talent they have available.

Reply #231416 | Report this post

The One  
Years ago

Star imports?? If Henry actually gave the imports a chance, maybe we would see a better result. When the Crocs coach actually thanked Henry, for doing such a crap coaching job, you know there is a problem.

He hardly played the boys and when they started playing well he benched them..

Good job to the Wildcats for sacking his sorry butt.

Reply #231417 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Beveridge is good, very good... He'll take this squad deep.

Reply #231418 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Agreed, TR. Bevo will do an awesome job.

Reply #231428 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Nice start to our 2009/10 campaign.

Reply #231429 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

TC2 - the guy was no good as a court side head coach.
just because he was an ok 2ic means jack shit!
his time outs sounded like a pre school teacher,repetitive crap with no real message.

apart from cooks at the hawks he was the worst coach in the league and should have been sacked mid season!!

imo teams should spend more money on quality coaches, the promoting 2ic thing is a proven failure again!!

Reply #231436 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Sorry, skull, that doesn't answer my question at all. He wasn't a great coach, and we saw a few instances of this durimg the season, but when the appointment was made, it seemed like the logical choice. If you can tell me why you think he shouldn't have got the job in the first place without using examples of things that happened after his appointment, I'd be interested to read them.
By the way, how many timeouts of his did you actually listen to? The Cats had two televised games the entire season.

Reply #231443 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

TC2 - what was your question?

my main point with this topic is not about henry,cooks or ninnis personally,its the whole 2ic thing of being promoted internally to h/c.
the concept is no good.
for last years 2ic to go to another club as h/c,he may have a chance.

it is professional sports,this waiting a season or two for the rookie h/c to 'get experience' is not on.
h/c's need to hit the ground running and get the best out of the players.

the wildcats were painful to watch with senseless subbing,wrong combinations,always disjointed and constant interruptions of momentum.

Reply #231449 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

When nickyg said he should have never got the job in the first place, I asked why? I have also stated what he did wrong, and agreed with the sacking. I dont think that a 2IC should automatically get the job, but at the time, the appointment made sense.
What I am saying is that it is easy to say in hindsight that he was the wrong man for the job, but you can't use examples from during the season to point out that he shouldn't have got the job in the first place.

Reply #231458 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

What a slap in the face from Marvin on Henry.

"The club underperformed, we all agree," Wildcats chief executive Nick Marvin said.
"More importantly with this reform in place it's an opportunity for the club to set a new agenda in terms of what we're doing on court."

Would have been better surely if they didnt take to soft option last time.

"We intend to create a culture of hard work and development on a daily basis and we hope to have a proven coach who can get the best out of the players and then the wins will come.

Why didnt you select a proven coach last time Nick?

Conner was a great assistant coach and a great person, very professional, very passionate and fantastic for the club.

Indeed, that's why he was hired as an Assistant in the first place. Some coaches are never destined to be Head Coaches.

"However, with the way we're going forward we need someone with specific strengths, someone who is a proven coach.

Same again.

"We don't want to spend the next three years making a coach better, we want to spend the next three years making our players better."
Marvin said the club and Henry had parted ways amicably.

Seeing Marvin would be one of the people appointing Conner, where does the buck stop now?
When Bevo may fail. Talk to a few players that played under Bevo last season and many had had enough of him by seasons end.
Watch your back Nick.

Reply #231460 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Big deal, the coach they hired didn't work out. He isn't the first coach to be sacked and he won't be the last.
As I said earlier, AT THE TIME Henry seemed like the best option. He didn't perform to the challenge and he's been moved on.

Reply #231461 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Great idea.
Select the xeasy option.
Let's hope Bevo is the right choice. ;)
Seems pre destined already.
Enjoy.

Reply #231473 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

That doesn't even make sense.

Reply #231474 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Bevo is the soft easy option.
Yet again. Just like Conner was.
Enjoy.

Reply #231478 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

The Cats went after Goorj, Wright, they interviewed Grace, and they went with Henry. Goorj probably wasn't keen, Wright was but chose to fight for the Bullets, and Grace had no coaching experience. I don't see how that makes Henry the easy option.
Considering he knew the system, and had been part of a coaching duo that was more successful than all but three teams in the previous two years, I really don't see how the decision they made AT THE TIME was anything but sensible.

Reply #231479 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

curious, I will again point out why your opinions hold little value. When it emerged that Henry was the early front-runner for the job, you claimed it was jobs for the boys, and criticised the selection process. Then when Billy T showed an interest in Henry, you criticised the Cats for not promoting the guy who was "next in line." And now you have continued the backflip, done a complete somersault, and are claiming that the easy option was to go with Henry. Make up your mind.

Reply #231480 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i hope out of all of this, that the cycle of short cuts and money saving idea's regarding coaches is finished within the new nbl.

"not everyone is going to be a head coach"
to be a good 2ic is also a great achievment

Reply #231484 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

What annoys me is Vlahovs revolving door policy. Unless a championship is won he treats the year like it was a total waste. Finishing 4th is no disgrace & Fish had them in the top 4 as well. Titles are near impossible to win. you need talent, luck & a great coach!

I was being harsh when i said Henry shouldnt have been given the job but he was never gonna get re-hired unless he could bring them the elusive silver wear. Maybe Vlahov should do a 'Pat Riley' & jump into the coaching role from the CEO position. Maybe he needs to see how hard it is to live up to his standards & win a flag.

Unless you are winning 99% of the time Vlahov would be a shocker to answer to. I'd smash him!!

Reply #231648 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

HOFFA had no say since he is no longer part of the club.it was marvins decision. cats are looking longterm. they want a coach who develope young talent, but at the Sametime keep the club in the finals race. Rob is just tht sort of coach. just look at the way hekept the sydney kids up in the playoffs race at the sametime getting that young team better.

Reply #231911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:56 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754