Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Buying a sat-nav

Looking for advice from the trusty Hoops SA Buying Network on buying a sat-nav. Have interstate travel on the horizon and they seem too easy and good to pass up. Any ideas and advice folks?

Second hand or new?
Does size matter?
What about updating maps later?

Any advice is appreciated.

Topic #19544 | Report this topic

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

Size always matters :P

Reply #231420 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

2 words. Tom Tom.
Maps co$t.
Size does matter as stated b4.

That includes the screen size as well. ;)

Reply #231423 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

With maps costing ..... is it just a matter of updating the maps like you update your paper Street Directory? Ie if you're like me and are happy to just update it every 5 years or so, will it work similarly?

Reply #231438 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

AFAIK you can update maps if and when you choose. You aren't forced to do any updating if you don't wish.

I would recommend TomTom, reliable, reasonably priced.

Reply #231448 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

I have a Garmin Nuvi and it's fantastic, although buying new maps for overseas can be expensive if it's only a one-time trip (around $300). Regular updates to the Aus maps cost around $99 and can be downloaded online - you probably only need to do this every 2 years.

One advantage (for me anyway) is that you can use the Garmin MapSource program to plan routes on a PC in advance of the trip and then download the routes and Waypoints to the device. The estimated travelling times seem to be far more accurate than Google maps.

The Nuvi has nice features which you may or may not need such as Bluetooth for hands-free mobile, FM transmission to use your car radio speakers in place of the in-built speaker, MP3 pplayer and Audio books player.

Whichever make/model you get, I would strongly recommend making sure it reads street names out loud (i.e. doesn't just say "turn next left"). I would also go for a large screen (e.g. 10cm). Also check out the cost of map updates and whether updates are available for any other countries you may need to visit. If you plan to use it while walking around an unfamiliar town, check out the battery capacity - you may need 2-3 hrs.

Reply #231508 | Report this post

me3  
Years ago

Buy a MIO I have never been lost with it. Spoken street names fast satellite connection .MIO 360 for me

Reply #231518 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754