pulse
Years ago

Norwood tourney thread

just put your blogs / results here.

Topic #19551 | Report this topic

pulse  
Years ago

thought I would start - can anyone tell me what the "the prestige" is?

Reply #231493 | Report this post

pulse  
Years ago

4:30 PM
Fri 10/Apr 38 The Prestige def. North Adelaide 28 Mars Sporting Complex Court

U14 B A grade???

Reply #231494 | Report this post

me3  
Years ago

Its not Southern

Reply #231519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

forestville lost to north by 50 in 18 1's?

Reply #231547 | Report this post

astor53  
Years ago

The 18/1 competition is a joke. That is not Forestville's Div 1 side. Forestville, Sturt and Norwood are all running weakened sides this weekend. All 3 have a number of players missing because the State players aren't there.

So I wouldn't read too much into any results.

Reply #231575 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Which teams did better than expected and which did not perform up to par??

Reply #231579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the Melbourne teams in 14's ? Anything good there ? Before anyone says nothing good in Melbourne, I am looking to see how the boys teams are going ( National Clubs etc )

Reply #231598 | Report this post

heater10  
Years ago

What happened in the semis for under 16 boys.

Both Eastern and Blackburn losing to norwood and dandenong. Each game was close but should have been a definate win for the eastern side. Norwood were a definate surprise to win.

Any thoughts?

Reply #231599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some results support the promotion/regulation argument in 18 A grade boys. Two div 2 teams, including one that is third in div 2, losing to a not full strength div 3 team???

Reply #231610 | Report this post

Enquiry  
Years ago

Whilst this was a great tournament as always I do believe the organisers need to look at the way they grae the pools.

Looking at the Under 18 Boys Championship Grade there is a very strong argument that one pool had possibly the strongest 5 teams. Playoff results support this.

Why were Bulleen and Waverly in the same side of the draw?

Reply #231611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#610,

Perhaps you should like at your club and see why a Div 3 team can beat this Div 2 team when the Div 2 team beat your own Div 2 team. You read too much into it. 3 starters out and trialling things for state champs. Lets have pro-del. It would be your div 2 team dropping out for you :)

Reply #231612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TheDiv 3 team was in Div 2 in summer and came 5th. The other Div 2 team still in Div 2 came 7th. There was 16 teams in the comp in summer, I don't see why either would drop out. 16th, 15th 14th and 13th should have be cut.

Obviously this wasn't a easter fluke when the team was 5th in summer.

Reply #231615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well it seems the club has the wrong team in there. Take it up with the club as to why the worst team is higher up. People read too much into these tournaments. At Easter most teams are depleted and you can't read anything into it.

But the summer season - seems F/ville have got it wrong!!

Reply #231618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA have got it wrong, we have two teams that are stronger than most of the comp, why should one team get punished?

How about putting some of those teams simply making up the numbers into div 3, any one of the nine that finished below both our teams?

As for easter, as I said we had two starters missing as well.

Reply #231624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You finished fifth in summer and your div 2 finished 7th. Sure BSA got it wrong but it seems so has Forestville.

It's all academic until we are told how the summer season is used. Some teams are simply not serious in summer moving people around between divisions and experimenting with different plays etc. If it were a true grading season then I suspect teams focus on it will change.

By the way when will your coach stop playing games with subs with 15 secs to go when the opposition have the ball. He is well known for this - he even used to do it in U10's

Reply #231626 | Report this post

astor53  
Years ago

Enquiry

As I already stated, the 18 Champ grade was a joke because of the depleted teams. There is no way the carnival organisers could have predicted who would and would not be playing.

Sturt, Norwood and Forestville at full strength would have made for a very different weekend. Waverley looked good this weekend, but I'd say any of those three SA teams would have beaten the Bulleen team. Not sure if Bulleen were full strength or not??

Reply #231632 | Report this post

astor53  
Years ago

Also, Forestville and Norwood were first and second in the summer season, so if everyone wasplaying, this would hardly have been the weak side of the draw.

Reply #231633 | Report this post

The coach  
Years ago

Mate, I am more than happy to stop calling subs with 15 seconds left when I coach Under ten games, when teams stop playing full court traps with bigger children for forty minutes.

Reply #231638 | Report this post

kjjjjjjhb  
Years ago

Waverley are good. should make classics. nearly beat full strength sturt in dandenong (apparently were v unlucky to lose). doesn't look like Bulleen were v good.

did sturt, norwood and forestville line up all their normal team minus state guys?

Reply #231641 | Report this post

kjjjjjjhb  
Years ago

by bulleen not being good i mean looking at vic results. seemed to do well over here. maybe vic are way stronger than the sa teams?

Reply #231642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Forestville was minus more than just there state guys.

Reply #231643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

forestville were missing their best 4 or 5 players
2 state guys
2 first year div 1's, now second year div 1's
and another second year div 1

they had 7 first years playing

Reply #231645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach,

Our team has never run a trap - they wouldn't know how to. Teach your kids how to play the game in the right spirit. Your reputation for this precedes you.

Reply #231647 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Forestville actually had 5 of their div 1 team not playing Easter due to State or other committments in the 18 boys over this weekend.
As for which team represents div 2's this season, the club had it right as a lot of their players over summer played div 1's, meaning a depleted team playing 2's over summer.

Reply #231652 | Report this post

The Coach  
Years ago

Well mate, if you weren't running a trap, I probably had a kid in foul trouble, so why leave him out on the court to get two fouls in a row and foul out before the end of a quarter or do I have to justify every sub to you? Better to have them foul out is it?

It's extremely rich for someone to accuse me of not playing the game fairly with all the crap that goes on in junior basketball, and I would have to say from my expirence last year in Under tens I found most of the coaches to be about winning at all costs even with eight year olds.

It becomes even more of a joke when somone accuses me of being a cheat behind a forum where I don't know who they are. You know my face, come and talk to me about this in person.

Reply #231659 | Report this post

Leopard 11  
Years ago

Sturt had 3 Grand Final winners, including Greame LeBroy's favourite coach, guess he can coach a bit. Plus another team in the GF.

No other club had more than 1 team even make the GF.

Is this more of the same to come at State Champs?

Reply #231666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes i think Sturt is just warming up for the 2 big events, State Championships and Classics.

Reply #231667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Coach,

Firstly after spending nearly 4 years watching U10's I do not believe most coaches are about winning at ALL costs. Most coaches are sympathetic when it becomes apparent that their team is vastly superior to the other.

What needs to happen though is to encourage fair sports from all players (and at times parents and coaches), ensure they are enjoying the game, find small positives coming out of each game and for a coach never to show his frustration in front of children this young.

At no stage has it been said you cheat - you in fact said cheating. Try smiling more when you coach the real young kids, forget the gamesmanship - you will enjoy each little step forward they make much more.

Reply #231668 | Report this post

SAD  
Years ago

Coach
Who is running traps in under 10's?
I see a lot of games, and have not seen any traps.

Reply #231670 | Report this post

march madness  
Years ago

u16g looks like classics will be close - albeit no dandy over easter

Reply #231682 | Report this post

Doh  
Years ago

Who will be competitive in 16 boys at Classics??

Reply #231692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any chance of sturt and eagles doing good in the classics like last year? (Under 18s)

Reply #231704 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

who is "the prestige" in u14B a grade???

Reply #231720 | Report this post

The Coach  
Years ago

Anything else you want to change about me while you are posting here? Am I not colour coordinating my clothes while coaching?? Do you want to offer me help while going to the toilet too?
Do you want to make anymore judgements about my personality and character before talking to myself or players who I have coached? I don't know what gives you the right to sit behind the anonymity of a keyboard and list perceived character flaws of strangers and think it is a perfectly normal thing to do but I hope it makes you feel good. The ability to have the insight to see my motivations, enjoyment level and thinking patterns just from my facial expression during games is one hell of a gift you seem to possess. The alternative to using your magical gifts would be to say a friendly hello, have a chat and give me any advice you would like to pass on in person. It may just have a little bit more credibility coming from a human face. I am quite approachable, and as long as you post behind a screen name online I don't give a shit about what you have to say to me. It's nonsense like this that makes coaches think it is all not worth it and whoever you are I am quite disappointed with you and your sniping from behind a faceless screen.
After coaching a year of under tens with a team inferior to most of the competition I can tell you that there are a lot of coaches who are about winning at all costs at that level. I don't name names on forums, I have told those coaches my opinion about their attitudes towards coaching young children in person and that is where I will leave it. Of course that is not a blanket swipe at all coaches, some like Barbara Whitford and the Sturt coach (Daryl is his name I think) were great to play against as an example. Both their teams gave us large defeats but played the game in a manner that allowed both teams to learn and develop, and made the game enjoyable for all. I have been around, and seen both sides of the coin, I had an under ten team that went undefeated at another club back in 2001.
You can't now say you weren't implying that I was cheating (by playing outside the spirit of the game) when it was quite clear that was your intent. Once again, I don't care what you say here; come chat to me in person.
As for the Div 2/Div 3 thing, I actually had some posts here deleted, as they border on criticism of junior players. The issue here I would think is promotion/relegation and having the top 12 teams in Div 2 that we can have, which would include both Forestville teams. There is no issue here about Forestville making the correct choice out of the two teams, but rather the issue of promotion/relegation. I made a point of this in internal club circles as the process should be at the time and left it at that.

Whoever you are, the offer is open to come say hello on a Friday night at Wayville, and head to the bar for a friendly chat.

Reply #231739 | Report this post

T-DOG  
Years ago

Hey Doh,

Knox, Keilor & Werribee will be tough to beat. If Diamond Valley have the team, just don't seem to be getting the results right now. Ballarat would be the best country team and should get the country invite. Unfortunately the Vic teams your saw over Easter were second rate except Dandy, however even they would be ranked below the before mentioned.

Reply #231916 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Leopard 11: Never said he couldnt coach... only poo poo'd his off court behaviour!!!

Reply #231918 | Report this post

nick  
Years ago

Waverley in u18 champ div have no state players, 4 out of the 10 players are bottom age players Wav 2 who also played in champ comp have 7 bottom age players they are obviously doing something right at waverley. This team and Wav as a club is a blue collar team they are overachieving hats off to all there players and coaching staff, they will be a force at the classic and VC Championships in 2009 even though every other top 4 vic side has 2 or 3 state players and they dont!!!

Reply #232096 | Report this post

Flinders 81  
Years ago

waverley only made Q final at eltham tournament it looks like, cant be too good? i see they are undefeated in champ but may have just had easy draw? do they even have anyone close to the state team?

Reply #232098 | Report this post

nick  
Years ago

starting point guard jack blackburn was an emergency and is bottom age & starting centre Adam Blackmore was also emergency but none actually in the team!! They beat sandy, werribee & melb in eltham tourn they havent lost a game this year on a friday night through grading & regular season your right there not that good but seem to be getting it done!!! All the sturt guys reckon they were there toughest challenge at the eltham tourn!!

Reply #232100 | Report this post

Scott  
Years ago

i watched the sturt vs waverly game and i felt so sorry for waverly, they were up the whole game 3 seconds to go they literally inbound the ball to sturt and sturt scores, blackmore played amazing he had at least 25 points on the two bigger guys from sturt. Good job for sturt winning though

Reply #234498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:00 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754