Anonymous
Years ago

World Championships in Thailand

Is there any likelihood of the U19 world championships being moved from Thailand?

Topic #19578 | Report this topic

playtime  
Years ago

they need to move it cause they're shooting people there and stuff .. shame the beaches are nice there

Reply #231860 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can't see them moving the U19 Women's Wolrd Champs form thailand. All the protesters have dispersed and everything is back to normal. In fact people holidaying in Bangkok didn't even know there was a protest on!

Their protests were the same as the G20 summit in Melbourne when they had the riots there. The only difference is 2 people died in Thailand.

Thailand are a peaceful nation and normally their demonstrations are just that - peaceful.

Reply #231862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just remember that they had more trouble earlier on this year and people couldn't get flights out for ages

Reply #231863 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

If the championships are in Bangkok there are no beaches

Reply #231865 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I suggest you read up on what is actually happening in Thailand and the political situation! The airports were not affected by the last set of protests in Pattaya (ASEAN summit) and Bangkok. the protests and violence were only localised to very small areas of Bangkok and mainly arround the government buildings. It did not affect any tourists at all.

Without going into detail, the current ruling power have control over the military and hence they have ensured the security of all of the airports. Back in 2008 when ther airports were affected, it was the people in power now that were protesting aaginst the then ruling power, who didn't have the full support of the military. Yes it is confusing but that is Thai politics!

Everything will be fine and there is no need to worry.

Reply #231868 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

The only observation I had was with all the news reports and wondering about the level of propaganda we're being fed.

Reports of uncontrolled violence being coupled with images of huge groups of older people sitting peacefully with some basketball style clappers wearing red.

In fact, and it might be just the reporting, I'm yet to see an image that even remotely looks violent, unless you count the miltary beating into those same red-shirt wearing violent old people with batons.

Reply #231887 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Dicko,
I have a friend who lives in Bangkok and trust me there is violence. She as gotten out of the city for a few days waiting for things to cool down

Reply #231891 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

yes - the Thais are not peaceful people - have you ever seen them kickboxers whew ... or when you go into a club and the bouncers don't let you out until you lay out the extra dough

Reply #231936 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754