Beantown
Years ago

NBA League Pass

Just wondering how many people on here have forked out their hard-earned for internet coverage of games through NBA League Pass?

Being very happy that the NBA is actually offering this service in Australia, I've been quick to support it by forking out for the full season pass, and now the HD coverage of the finals.

The fact that I can watch every game live or on replay for 24 hours is pretty impressive. BUT I have had regular problems with buffering during live regular season games, and even during replays at certain times.

Now according to my ISP membership page, I am generally getting about 17,000 kbps downstream, so I would have thought that would be fast enough most of the time.

Just wondering if other people have had similar problems to me? What do you think of the service?

Also, those who are knowledgeable about speed bottlenecks on the internet, does it seem likely that the problem is with the speed of my access? Or is the problem more likely to lie with the NBA service provider in the US, or even in the 'Australian' leg of the transmission?

Topic #19602 | Report this topic

playtime  
Years ago

it's probably best to stick to ESPN for your NBA needs !!

Reply #232176 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Why do you say that playtime? I'd rather not pay exorbitant amounts of money for ESPN on Foxtel when they don't even show most of the games I want to watch!

The NBA on ONE HD has looked sensational as well, but it has the same limitations as Foxtel, in that it only shows the games you want to watch sometimes.

To me, the ideal future for all sports coverage is through online subscription, so you can watch exactly the game you want on demand.

Reply #232177 | Report this post

crowfan  
Years ago

hey bean, i don't have league pass so i can't comment on some of those questions. But i am interested in purchasing, how much download does one game in HD usually chew? my only worry would be the amount of bandwidth league pass would use

Reply #232179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it chews heaps...not sure on total...but i watched the ncaa game online and blew 1 or 2 GB's...

Reply #232188 | Report this post

bulls4eva  
Years ago

a full NBA game takes about 1GB

Reply #232189 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, I would say about 1-1.5 GB Crowfan. I haven't checked how much extra the HD version available for the playoffs chews through though.

If you want more info, go to the League Pass website here: http://ilp.nba.com

Reply #232194 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I have it and don't have any buffering issues at work through Telstra (Ugh!) 1,500 connection.

At home with ADSL2+ it buffers from time to time (every two mins or so) but only for a second is def watchable and worth the $$.

However also have Foxtel/ESPN and record all OneHD games so def getting a MASSIVE bball fix :)

Reply #232224 | Report this post

Flinders 88  
Years ago

prefer to use www.bballvideos.com or davka

Reply #232228 | Report this post

gavmiester  
Years ago

Posted NBA League Pass info in the first week of the season. On the whole it has been excellent with ADSL 2+, but yes, as stated above and previously, about 1-1.5gB per game.
Still, its let me watch around 60 Bulls games this season, and enough of the other teams that never get a run on fuxtel that it was well worth the money.

The wuality of the HD is even better for the playoffs.

Only issues have been the Boston vs lakers game on Christmas Day/Boxing day was a farce with buffering as league pass had a free offer that day and the servers died. Much the same happened on day 1 of the playoffs. However, I got to watch most of Game 1 of bulls vs celts (yep, I got up at 2am to watch that game, and it did buffer, but, I watched the replay later that day so was all fine.
Bottom line is if your team isnt in the Western Conf and is in the playoffs, you dont have much option other than scabbing the live feeds like we did at the Olympics.

The quality of the HD feed is comparable if not slightly better than SD fuxtel....and I watch it on the 46" and it plays brilliantly. I only get 8000kbps down and 1.5k up for comparison purposes.
Hope that helps.

Reply #232894 | Report this post

rob  
Years ago

i am in Newzealand, i have to purchase wifi as i dont have internet capabilities in my house. i get 1024 (2048) kbps download and 256 (512)for up load.

Now after the speeds you guys are talking about im going to assume the streaming live would be out of the question (hopefully not) but what about watching games out of the archive that are not live.

do you think this is possible if i just let the game download for an hour before i start watching it?

any info would be good, im just got my basketball jones on!

Reply #343363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754