Isaac
Years ago

BA/NBL Basketball Summit last Saturday

Here's part of the press release from the BA:

The Basketball Summit was the first meeting of the new BA members and was attended by the Board of Basketball Australia, the sport's State and Territory Presidents and Chief Executive Officers, and the owners of existing National Basketball League teams.

Led by Basketball Australia Board Chairman David Thodey, the participants discussed a broad range of topics including ways to increase grass roots participation, ideas and strategies for realising the commercial opportunities for basketball and potential competition structures that showcase basketball, expand the appeal of the sport and provide development pathways for young players.

In addition, BA presented its business plan for the next four years, which included the sport's major priorities going forward as well as setting achievable and measureable goals for basketball and its governing body.
Not much meat in there, but at least they're all still alive over there.

Topic #19607 | Report this topic

kcgone  
Years ago

When did it get released?

Reply #232246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This morning.

Boti has a story about it too.

Basketball Australia's announcements of the future of its elite competitions has been further delayed due to a couple of Melbourne-based issues, one of which affects Adelaide.

That is whether the Melbourne Tigers' majority shareholder Seamus McPeake will go forward with his plans to purchase the Distinctive Homes Dome - and with it, the 36ers club - from Eddy Groves and Mal Hemmerling.

Currently McPeake and BA are at odds over plans for the Tigers' home court "The Cage" - the State Netball Hockey Centre - to be shared by Melbourne's arch enemy and crosstown rival South.

"Blockbuster" fixtures would be at the Dragons' former home at Hisense Arena.

No-one from BA would go on the record yesterday in the wake of the weekend's Sydney summit which brought together the game's stakeholders for the first time.
So, I take it the NBL are doing away with the rule against an owner having two teams and also about the one concerning ownership from interstate?

Reply #232261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the new rule was that one person couldn't even be *the* owner of one team, but only 40% of one.

Anyway, good to see the same old morons had a nice little chat. I guess if a few were sitting in different chairs, that represents enough newness for them.

Reply #232263 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I think that issue of one owner would be pretty easily waved if the $1mill bank guarantee and a successful past and future business plan was presented ie Dragons, Tigers.

As for Seamus owning the Tigers & Sixers, maybe they came to the relisation that if they didn't let him he would just buy it in his sons name, too many easy ways around it.

Reply #232265 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

So what exactly has been achieved with the newNBL?

Same teams sans Sydney.

No team more financially secure than before. Wollongong has a lot of promises to pay money , how much of that will convert in the crunch?

The games reduced to 40 minutes. Excellent, less action and i bet for the slightly inflated ticket price because it is new and exciting.

The keyway to change to FIBA style

Dragons to potentially save some money by moving into the Cage.

BA getting back in touch with its grass roots ( i have a question at this point what the hell has been going on then for the past 10 years? NBL and WNBL players regularly visit schools and clubs, players run skills camps, how more in touch do they need to be without breaking the law?)

No ground breaking promotion by BA that needs to happen and quick.

NBL to stay in Summer despite most people wanting it back to winter when it was at its best. Remember people it is a winter sport hence the roof.

A new logo that lacks any real imagination or flare. Honestly without it having the word basketball attached to it would you know that it is promoting basketball?

Larry Sengstock in Derwin out, apparently Derwin was in this job for around 10 years, really, who had heard of him before, where was he when it was all going down hill? Good luck to you Larry, we are all hoping you fix it starting with the removing of the large dead weight on the board.

Player contracts out the door as teams have to admit they cant honour their existng contracts and stay below the cap. Will this bring any sanctions for those teams caught with their pants down here going forward?

So in short what the hell has changed. Larry Sengstock and that is all?

If that is it what has taken so long to work out? How many meetings have occurred for this massive change?

I hope i do eat humble pie and i will be happy to do so as that will mean that basketball is back.

Reply #232296 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've been wondering the same thing.

There was a bold vision, but it's been scaled back in the wrong ways from what I can tell at this point.

We'll have the same teams, nothing too wrong with that, but we'll still have flakey teams on the edge of trouble. Having barely-in Cairns and Wollongong teams aren't going to sure up the league against the problems it's had recently.

Leaving them in and coming up short in Sydney and Brisbane means a Fox deal is unlikely to change too much and might impact any hope with OneHD?

I was hoping we'd have a new emphasis on branding and spending money on the right promotions but while the BA logo rebrand is adequate, that front page video they put up hardly instils confidence that they're working with the right brains and suppliers at all. Do you reckon more than a bare minimum of soccer fans were embarrassed when the A-League launched with the Scribe ads?

"Hey kid, do you want to do bicycle and scissor kicks, smacking a ball around the streets, or do you want to shoot free throws on your own in an empty gym?"

"Do I get to do an awkward, scripted fist pump at the end?"

And news today of the ongoing issue whereby Seamus won't give the Dragons access to the Tigers venue suggests that the league itself will still be at the mercy of the stronger owners, as it has been in the past.

Hoping to be proven wrong and will keep following the league if it's the same as in recent times, but my expectations of what will come from all of this off-season talk are declining.

Reply #232307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised the dragons want to play at the Cage given they criticise it for being too small. They're supporters are so critical of it and now they want to play out of it.

Reply #232353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754