Kent Brockman
Years ago

Pirates in $$ trouble

Had it on good authority that the Pirates are in a lot of financial trouble. So much so that they need to have a home final first so that they have enought money to travel on to the next final if they make it.

That licence is doomed where ever it goes it seems.

Topic #1961 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If they go under, someone should pick up Kavossy Franklin!

Reply #22206 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think it's because that license (and the one the Giants still hold) are being taken by "quick fix" teams.

The Giants was assembled together rather quickluy after the demise of the Titans (who were put together after th demise of the previous Giants team...that whole license has a bad history traced right back to the old St Kilda SPectre days)

The Cannons one saw the Cannons Mark II fold very quickly under the rule of Cal Bruton, once again because it was a quick fix when Cannons Mark I went into receivership.

The NBL needs to stop the quick fix solutions (as viable as they may seem at the time), and allow a club to put together a sound financial base.

Thats why I think the Tasmanian and Gold Coast teams (or perhaps Geelong??) should be given the chance before we see the license go back to Newcastle or a Melbourne metro team.

Reply #22223 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Yogee, don't forget the Mount. $$ isn't a problem with Sir Allan Scott in town! The Pioneers are ready for the national stage - but they'll need Panther back in town to do it!

Reply #22228 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

yogee is right.

The league must do much more thorough reseasrch into the financial plan and financial backing of these "quick fix" teams before even letting them into the league. Do they have a 5-yr plan? Is it viable?

My understanding is that the Pirates have been struggling from day one - if that is the case, then the question must be asked, "why did the NBL allow them into the league in the first place?"

My call is that there will be no Pirates next season . . . another one bites the dust.

Reply #22230 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

That would be a bitch if hunter went under, they have become a fairly good team reaching the playoffs in only their second season

Reply #22233 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

With all due respect, I hardly think making the Top 8 out of only 11 teams is that huge of an accomplishment.

That being said, they have put a decent team on the court this year and have been much better this season. It would be a shame if they folded. Newcastle is a great city and they deserve better but it would appear they are destined not to have an NBL team

Reply #22236 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Pirates have come ahead leaps and bounds, reckon they have great player base to go even further next season - have great potential.

Reply #22239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:04 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754