A
Years ago

What the 36ers need to do

-Court side seats around the entire floor besides players bench side. Charge about 20-30% more and not to go to any corporates. Would look great, would sell most seats most nights and would make the club some extra needed $. This would be very easy and inexpensive to do, but do what the NBA teams do - make the seats extra padded and wide for comfort(seen it first hand and would be great).

-New uniforms, simple and clean, again exactly like in the NBA, no stripes, no sponsors plastered all over them, just a simple 36ers across the front of the singlet. So when a young kid is buying a singlet he is actually buying a 36ers product, not a Pura milk singlet.

-And finally, instead of giving season ticket holders all this cheap and petty crap when buying a season ticket, why not give members a simple grey training T-shirt that only has the words 36ers Basketball. Again like they do in the NBA, easy and effective and something that I would feel proud to wear to the local shops or to a training session.

Topic #19621 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i would like to see them find an owner who is interested in the success of the club.

Reply #232366 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

You obviously like what the NBA do - I get it. They also probably have a bit bigger marketing and game night budget although I'm not sure.

I doubt we would be able to do the courtside thing for OH+S reasons (for players and umpires) and to guard against liability claims from spectators.

Reply #232368 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Removing the sponsors from the uniforms would look much better, but I personally would rather pay less for a ticket and have some sponsors names/logos splashed around than pay more without them.

If having more sponsors associated with the club means less out of pocket expense for me, then I'm all for it.

I did like your grey training shirt idea for season ticket holders. I'd be in for that!

Reply #232371 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

There is plenty of room to have those courtside seats along the west side of the court, between the rolling banners and where the stand starts. 50 seats along there at even $50 a pop and you have an extra $40K for the season.

Make those seats only available a few days before game day.

Reply #232375 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

This is not about the NBA (Juror12 and others), it is about running a sucessful business and that's what the NBA does very well. It is not a game night budget, it is a business expense which would come at a minimal expense(see below).

Juror12, all my idea's are very cost effective and it actually provides the 36ers with cheap advertising and marketing exposure.

Give me a very tight budget and with my business and personal contacts in Adelaide, I could easily action these ideas with not much more than what I believe the 36ers spend on utter garbage throughout the season.

'I doubt we would be able to do the courtside thing for OH+S reasons (for players and umpires) and to guard against liability claims from spectators'

I have been to games in Sydney with courtside seats, I know in Adelaide we have different regulations, but I'm sure it could be done.

Reply #232378 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

A, I don't know how much clubs rely on sponsorship on their uniform, but if they can find a way to advertise elsewhere, I totally agree with you.

There is so much garbage all over the Sixers uniform that the most important brand of the lot - the 36ers - is just lost.

I also agree that being able to sit really close to the court has a tremendous impact for a spectator. The size and athleticism of the players really hits you much more up close, so it would be great to give casual fans access to these seats at times. I still remember sitting front row at the Apollo when Mark Bradtke went crashing into the person next to me.

In fact, if you think about it, being that close to such a tremendous physical contest is really the absolute best selling point the sport can have. What others sport can offer such up close action?

So I don't know if they do this already, but I think it would be great to set aside say 15 front row seats per game and essentially run a raffle, where some people who buy silver tickets get upgraded at random.

How good would that be? A couple of casual fans turn up, take their seats and then an usher comes around to tell them they have been upgraded for free!

Not only would they be much more likely to go home with a taste of how exciting basketball can be up close, but they are going to tell all their friends, who are more likely to come along to games as well. This would be a way of rewarding people for coming out to quieter mid-week games as well.

Reply #232380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Harder to get money from the scrolling banners if people are sitting right in front of them.

Reply #232382 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'There is plenty of room to have those courtside seats along the west side of the court, between the rolling banners and where the stand starts. 50 seats along there at even $50 a pop and you have an extra $40K for the season.

Make those seats only available a few days before game day.'

My friends and I would happily spend that on top of our season tickets. And I would easily take business partners and customers throughout the season, without having to deal with the entire corporate box just for one or two people,(which meant I could not take them at all over the last couple of seasons)

Reply #232383 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, I'm sure you could find other ways of exposure.

Reply #232384 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - I would have them sitting behind the scrolling banners but in front of the stands. There is a good 2-3 metres space there to put people on the west side.

Reply #232386 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

You dont need any of these ideas as when Mcpeake takes over all you lot will see is sponsors and advertising even in Chinese so you wont understand it. Also ticket prices will rise to about 35 a pop and 1k for a season ticket. OH GOODY!!!

Reply #232387 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

I think this would be a good idea...i am sure they would have looked at court side seating before, but would have gone against kit for some reason...it would be easy coin too as i know plenty of ppl that would love it...and would pay for it....

Reply #232388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i just want them the paint the ramaining visible curtain of the court blue so it frames the court. I'm not sure if this will stuff the other courts though.

Reply #232389 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip, true - how much would it impact the viewing angles for the first few rows behind?

The Breakers' venue has courtside seats at cabaret-style tables with food and drink which seems popular but occasionally a wayward ball hits drinks and causes trouble. Signage in front would prevent that.

I think they could add another couch in the corner diagonally opposite the home players' race - rent it out with an esky of drinks like the MC one that's given away each game.

Reply #232392 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

30% rise in tickets you rekon, add that to the 20% drop in game time,

i know for a fact there would be 8 less season tickets from this house hold

Reply #232393 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac, No different to what it is for people who sit behind the score bench. They still have almost a foot of elevation over the people on the court.

Reply #232403 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

I love the idea of nothing between the front row and the action.

I sat behind the Sixers bench one game and was blown away by just how big and athletic these guys are. KB jump shot over D was awesome up close and the Big Fella sitting down on one of those poor plastic chairs was also a sight to behold.

You could put a little statement on the front row tickets like motor racing:

Basketball is dangerous. By purchasing this ticket you are taking full resonsibility for your own safety when a 7 foot player lands in your lap... Enjoy the game.

Reply #232407 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I know that I would buy a throwback jersey if they sold those in the merchandise shop. Might be sponsorship issues, but I'd love a Davis jersey from the '86 team, or a Brett Maher rookie jersey.

I'm sure they could sell enough to make it worthwhile, or even have display jerseys in store, with jerseys made to order.

Reply #232409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign Luke Schenscher, and build a team around that....with success, the fans will pack out a smelly fish market if they had too!

Reply #232416 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

If the Sixers had courtside seats, I'd be courtside every game.

Reply #232429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Sixer's had courtside seats "other visiting teams would be very afraid" of those crazy Adelaide fans, yelling obscenities up close and personal.
I agree it's good for the game, and I'm sure the players would love it too.

Reply #232431 | Report this post

Nose it all  
Years ago

What the 36ers need to do is...find someone willing to put up a million dollars.

I reckon we are dead in the water.

Reply #232451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers did do simple T Shirts for its members 2 years ago from memory. Navy Blue, with just the 36ers logo on the front.

From memory some loved them, most never wore them. I use mine to sleep in, never wore it in public.

Courtside seats lessen the value of the current front row tickets which are sold to Corporate Partners.

Courtside tickets would have to be at least $100 per game and the Corporate tickets would have to be reduced. Plus they'd have to purchase the additional seating and store it somewhere.

Not something I can see the current administration doing for the few people that would be willing to purchase them.

Sorry guys love the thread and think we need to put up a whole heap of ideas, but I think the pros and cons have to be considered for all of them.

Reply #232459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, maybe not for the sidelines, but what about the baselines? I don't think those are corporate boxes are they? Wouldn't be a huge earner, but could be worth doing.

Reply #232470 | Report this post

fox 63  
Years ago

There is corporate seating along the baseline, either side of the basket

Reply #232486 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

or just pay normal price and go sit in the east corner courtside, which for some reason never get sold.. thankyou!!

Reply #232488 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:35 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754