Isaac
Years ago

Dikembe Mutombo bows out after injury

Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo has said he will not play again.

Dikembe Mutomo's legacy will be that he was one of the great NBA defensive players of all-time, an amazing shot-blocker, a winner in every sense of the word. Yet his career is so much more than that.

He was an amazingly good citizen of the world. He had a charitable heart and devoted countless hours and dollars to the causes he believed in. He's a role model for every future player.

His 18-year NBA career ended Tuesday night with a gruesome knee injury midway through his 1,297th game. He left the floor on a stretcher after every single teammate had surrounded him on the floor.

That gesture spoke volumes about what they thought of him. He's the funniest, smartest professional athlete you will ever meet.
More at Sports Justice

A few months ago, I was checking an NBA box score and stopped short - he's still playing?! Mutombo is due to turn 43 in a couple of months and was still providing serviceable minutes to Houston, even in the play-offs.

I remember even having a Mutombo t-shirt when I was younger. Did Olajuwon and Ewing ever have merchandise like that?

As a paltry little tribute, here's a re-run (for those who haven't seen it) of Rockets players doing impressions of Dikembe:

Cue finger-waggle stories...

Topic #19625 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

I loved the old Adidas Mutombo shoes! He's the only guy I can remember that was on basketball trading cards when I was in primary school who's still going. Well, and Shaq I guess.

Much respect to a great career, and an even better human being.

Reply #232481 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I had a pair of Patrick Ewing shoes back in 1994 and received a free Ewing drink bottle for the purchase.

I think the store was called 'Sports Lover' I know it's one which no longers exsists and was close to the City X side. Maybe even the same complex as Amart now.

My girlfriend loves Dikembe's voice though. You'll never forget it.

Reply #232551 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I think Mr Ben Fitz had a pair of Ewings. Funny how he doesn't talk much of his love of the Knicks. Nate is no John Starks is he Ben?

Reply #232554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754