Isaac
Years ago

NBL Players' Association vs BA

Basketball Australia is copping it on all fronts right now as owners and players appear to fight to maintain the status quo.

Just read this in The West about the NBL Players' Association's dispute with BA:

Association representative Peter Moscatt said his group and BA could not come to terms over a players' agreement covering issues such as the amount of coaching clinics performed by each member, minimum salary levels and mandatory rest periods between matches.
No doubt, the league wants more clinics while players want to do fewer. Unless the number of clinics required is outrageous, it's hard not to side with BA on this one.

More grassroots involvement creates broader awareness and marketing for the owners that pay player salaries. Few or none of these owners are making money from their teams - they are running at a loss to provide opportunities to staff, players and coaches and asking for more help could be reasonable.

What do you think?

Topic #19642 | Report this topic

TEN  
Years ago

Some players are doing clinics straight after training 4 times a week...To much!!

Reply #232704 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

OH boo hoo for the players, they want people to turn up then do the clinics, want smaller crowds that leads to no new nbl then yes by all means do less clinics

Reply #232709 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I can tell you for a fact that the Bullets never did them and most were not in favour of it.
I can tell you that since it became criteria for this season, most players across the board are definately not in favour of it.
I'm not sure if the Players Assoc seeking to clarify the hours is a little premature given how many issues remain outstanding that are bigger fish to fry- they have a right to know for sure I agree- I'm just not sure if now is the right time to be focussed on that?
They are going to have to do more than play, train, lift weights, go to the pub and play x-box.... it's a fact they have to wake up to whether they like it or not.

Reply #232714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unless they are consistently audited (e.g., schools/clubs login and tick off "session completed" in a basic web app), the stars will want to get out of them and clubs will comply to get deals over the line.

e.g., "Yeah, they're also offering you $200k/season, but we won't make you do clinics. We'll just get the development players to do them for you."

"OK, deal."

Reply #232721 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I can see what BA is trying to do with that but in reality, I can't see it really working for the long haul. Once again this move is trying to push the responsibility away from themselves by giving them more jobs. But hey, why don't you guys in the admin side take on a job or two.

Plus without the right exposure who would give the f*ck who's doing the clinic. Ensure adequate amount of exposure is BA/NBL's job and that should be priority. With this will come merchandise opportunities, sponsorships etc.

Reply #232723 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The players are one of the contributing reasons the "old NBL" fell over. Commanding too much money and wanting to do less off the court for it. By doing less off the court, the league has fallen over.

By all means they are not the sole reason, but they certainly have contributed to the problem.

I think 3-4 1hr clinics per week in season is more than reasonable considering most teams only play up to 2 games per week.

I also believe players should be made to do clinics in the off-season or at least during pre-season. 4-5 per week in pre/off-season should be mandatory.

They put their hands out, they have to put out - on and off the court.

Reply #232724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian players DO NOT (bold, underlined) do clinics, etc, during the season. AT ALL (bold, underlined, vein popping).

Reply #232730 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Interesting to read some of the comments about the clinics players are prepared to do. If Brisbane players and 'Goorjian' players do not do clinics then it is no wonder the Bullets had a low support base and that the clubs Goorjian has coached also seem to have a low supporter base even when successful!

Can someone who is knowledgeable about these things tell me the amount of hours your average 36er is asked to put in each week?

They should certainly be expected to do quite a lot if, for example, they earn $100k for about a 5 month season. Just as one comparison, the PREMIER of our state only makes about $180k per year including all his bonuses! How many hours do you think he works?

Very few people in the community earn $100k per year at any stage of their life. So players who earn that much and above in their 20s should thank their lucky stars. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect someone who earns that much to do AT LEAST 55-60 hours a week during the season.

Basically, the NBL should do the same thing as the NBA does: have an agreement that says players have a right to earn about 50-60% of all profits the league makes (I can't remember exactly what the figure is). If the league can't make a profit, then its just a hunch, but maybe the players are getting paid too much?!?!

Which comes back to the point I have been making for a long time: the league should set its salary cap at whatever level it needs to be for teams in every capital city to make a profit. At the end of every season, if crowds/ revenue are up, increase the cap, if they are down, decrease the cap. Pretty simple really.

(Mod: Magistrates, CEO's, Business Owners, High profile AFL/A-League players would having to be getting 100k+.)

Reply #232741 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Oh geez- here we go with the Brisbane low supporter base soapbox again- hasn't this been done and answered to death?
Brisbane does NOT have a low supporter base- Brisbane had an owner who took 40% of prime seating covering one entire wall of the stadium as ticketing for ABC and Virgin Blue staff to attend games, and never promoted it.
Those tickets were never released for public sale unless you knew the right people (the majority of supporters don't know this- all they know is what they see- seats marked 'Virgin Blue' and 'ABC' that were always empty) and they had to sit in nosebleed seats up the top back or not get seats together, when there was only ever about $3 difference between sitting in unreleased corporate seats and nosebleeds bought via Ticketek.

Please get your facts straight- this baseless urban legend is getting very very old.

Reply #232752 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

And for the record, it is already in the Rules & Regs that the salary cap (earning capacity) for players the following season will go up if the League turns a profit after this financial year- old news.

Reply #232753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754