Isaac
Years ago

Hoops SA Tipping Competition

There's a round to play in the Hoops SA Tipping Competition.

Flatshot leads everyone with 108 but Deano and coachFlynn are within striking distance on 106.

Fourth to tenth are Dogra, Passback, Ashman, Huggienet, Fietzy, Billo and myself.

Can anyone snatch the mystery prize from Flatshot in this final round?

Is anyone purposely trying to lose just in case the mystery prize is something crap?

(PS. The national leader is on 118. Flatshot is in 57th place nationally, even with Chris Anstey's brother. We're really going to have to do better as a group next year...)

Topic #1968 | Report this topic

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I think of it this way Isaac: I've picked every single game correctly so far in this competition, it's just so happens that the teams I pick quite often go out and lose.

I picked Brisbane far too many times, and Townsville early in the season let me down a bit. West Sydney would have also let a few tipsters down early but once it was apparent they were a very smelly outfit it was easy to tip against them.

Reply #22347 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's been a tough year. I, too, suffered through picking Brisbane early.

Reply #22353 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

unfortunately this season i've made the fundamental mistake too often. The fundamental mistake is picking losers instead of winners and, so far, i am just fortunate that others have done it as well. Seriously it has been a tough year on the tipping field with any team capable on their day and the psychological factors eg teams with a point to prove when a player was injured have been hard to pick although home teams have generally performed well.

Reply #22368 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

Has anyone done anything scientific like pick all the home teams, or who is higher on the ladder?

Any idea as to how these methods would have gone??

Reply #22369 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I came 29th for round 20 with 8/11, and came 3rd once before that, besides them, I have been going crap

Reply #22370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Avanti, my girlfriend (in her first NBL tipping competition) mostly picked the higher team and heavily favoured the Sixers (maybe picked them every game?) I think. She's top 20 in the Hoops SA comp.

I started off favouring what I thought were the strongest teams (Crocs and Bullets) and suffered for it. After that, I mostly picked home teams with a few digressions for key games (anyone against the Breakers, for example).

Reply #22372 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Could yogee do a year round up of the Fantasy League that went the wasy of the Vic Giants?

I gave up on the tips to focus on my all conquering team.

The only thing that tips prove is that those who know nothing about the sport are usually the ones to win the comp.

You know the type. I picked the Bullets to beat the Hawks because a bullet would shoot a Hawk out of the sky.

Reply #22375 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yeah, well unfortunately a few people in the fantasy comp tended to get the same way as I did with my tips (ie just plain didnt bother)

When we had a 10 team comp, and maybe only 6 or 7 of the people actually playing, it didnt seem to be worth my 4-5 hours a week i was putting into it.

Hopefully someone can offer me some database assistance (re train me in how to program and use MS Access) which will reduce my time (the new girlfriend is NOT a Net person, so my time is being curtailed, will be even worse when she moves in - and I also have a new job offer for the new NBL season which will chew up some time)

If I can find a way to run it more smoothly, it wont matter if we get drop outs.

I'm actually hoping we will get enough people for 2 conferences next season.

I gave up doing tips about mid season, I always seem to...apart from AFL tips at work...forget to do them a couple fo weeks in a row, and you fall so far behind its not worth it.

Reply #22407 | Report this post

passback  
Years ago

i'm fourth or 5th on the hoops comp and about 288 on the main board this week i got 9/11 i missed on breakers over cairns and kings over hawks.

my margins have been way out though if i tip a narrow margin its a blow out and if i tip a blow out its a narrow margin

worst margin i had was a few weeks ago i tipped hunter to beat pigs by 30 and it turned out the margin was about right but the wrong team won which made the difference about 60.

i've tipped with who i think will win on form, injury etc and don't go with the heart.

but it is all in good fun

Reply #22410 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

It's cetainly heating up now!! I've got a carton of beer riding on this round as my 4 way bet with a few mates is coming down to the wire. Fietzy at 8 is my only competition (I'm sitting at 9) but with my vastly superior net margin I only need to peg back one game and that Coopers in mine. Perth Tigers game has hurt me bad.

Is there a mystery prize for the best accumulated margin in the group? Didn't think so.

Reply #22424 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754